Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
Ryokukitsune
UserNode1.OutSarcasum
Andrew
USA

Colby - character without a vtar

I'm pretty sure this is probably the place to post this because I'm looking for ctrits on this project, mostly a little help if anyone is willing.

I've been going threw a block the past few months that I want to get over so I decided to put myself in front of my tools again by digging up an old sculpt (about a year old). The Optimizing in Zbrush went pretty well and I have a decent topology at around 14k tris (7k quads) thatís for the most part animation ready. However I'm stuck at the texturing phase of my pipeline because I didn't really plan on doing anything with this character from the onset.

The consequence of having a finished product was an afterthought and all my concepts on the character are in b/w sketches leaving me scratching my head on what to do with him from here. I've sat in front of Photoshop for days trying to noodle something out but he's ground to a halt as everything I do makes him look like a poor choice of muddy colors.

I'm here to ask if anyone can help me out with some critiques and/or a few paint over variations?

I thought about asking people to kit bash this for me but I would much rather do it myself. Picking something up from the to-do pile and my block have made my muse a bit color blind so I could use a little help building a visual target to work towards.

Ryo

Old 05-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man,

The hands and feet look a little too humanoid, and it doesn't vibe well with the fox/wolf/dog head.

I think they did a great job with this in Fantastic Mr Fox. The hands only have 3 fingers, and the feet are shaped like a paw.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-nPk0zf7_9...fa4e1d3970c.jpg

http://www.hdnumerique.com/dossiers...ic-mr-fox-5.jpg

-AJ

Old 05-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #3
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Yeah the fox head and the human hands and feet immediately sprang out at me as something problematic too.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
Ryokukitsune
UserNode1.OutSarcasum
Andrew
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1
Hey man,

The hands and feet look a little too humanoid, and it doesn't vibe well with the fox/wolf/dog head.

I think they did a great job with this in Fantastic Mr Fox. The hands only have 3 fingers, and the feet are shaped like a paw.
(...)
-AJ

I'm not a big fan of the 4 fingered hand. I've used that anatomy in the past but its not my favorite choice. this character is based in the Starfox universe and protagonist characters have full 5 finger hands (and a DK mode heads lol) like this fan desktop with press release renders

Last edited by Ryokukitsune : 05-18-2013 at 01:53 PM.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
Ryokukitsune
UserNode1.OutSarcasum
Andrew
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
Yeah the fox head and the human hands and feet immediately sprang out at me as something problematic too.

I fixed the feet [normals] but it didn't seem like enough of a mod of the overall amount of work on texture to use up an allowable WIP on the sites I post to (most of them let me post a max of 3 WIPs before the admins/mods start deleting stuff.) I will admit that the head needs a desperate rescale because even with the big heads in the SF universe that's pushing it a little and makes his hands/feet look really dainty hehe.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread