Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 05-14-2013, 03:56 AM   #16
jarisky
Frequenter

Jarien Sky
3D Modeler & Texturer
freelancer
Boston metro area, USA

I think the facial topology looks pretty good overall. Different people's theories vary slightly, so you should get multiple opinions.

Some potential problem areas I see, not huge, but you may want to think about. Red = I recommend adding loops here (I'm not recommending making 5-sided polys--you'd have to figure out how to reconnect loops to keep the nice quad topo). Blue = move these edges. Number = see descriptions below.

1. The two horizontal rows of polys at the bridge of her nose, and the row above those two--there isn't a lot of vertical resolution here--that is, the polys are kind of elongated vertical rectangles. The angle of noses is relatively straight, then at the bridge there's a sharp indent and protrusion toward the forehead and brow ridge. So it makes sense to have more polys in that small area that has a lot of change in contour/angle. But you have fewer polys--the polys on her nose (vertically speaking) are much closer together than the polys just above at the bridge of her nose, yet the shape you need to define at the bridge is a sharper angle that may demand more points. This is just general facial anatomy stuff--I realize that she could have a little bump in the middle of her nose or something that demands more polys there--don't sacrifice detail for the sake of evening out the topology.

2. Her nose is too upturned at the tip, kind of like a pig nose. It appears upturned in the photos, but not as much as your model. Look at the size of her nostrils on your model v. the size of her nostrils in the photo--yours are way bigger. Look at the dark horizontal crease just beneath her nostrils in your model--that's much more noticeable than the very soft slight shadow beneath her nose in the photos. It looks like you made a flat surface at the bottom of her nose, angled it up and forward, then punched two holes in it for the nostrils. Think of it more like the wings of the nostrils slowly wrapping down, around, under, and back up into the hole of the nostrils. The angle needs to be much more gradual and less severe.

3. The outer edge loops defining her lips, especially her lower lip, may be too close together at the corners. Human lips sticks out much farther in the middle than at the lateral points, but you still have those (3?) edge loops really close together at the corners of her lips, so it makes a really harsh shadow even where there is little change in surface. Look at the photos--there's that dark shadow line beneath her lower lip, but on both sides it fades and disappears as it gets to the corners of her lips. In your model, that pinching follows the entire lower lip. You've got the same problem with the upper lip but not quite as severe.

4. One other place you may want to add more mesh resolution--the sides of her nose as they transition into the skin bridge below her eye to the sides of her nose that fades down into the cheeks. You have six total vertical columns of polys along defining the lateral extents of her nose, from the right-most column of nasal polys that go into her left eyelid to the left-most column of nasal polys that go into her right eyelid. A standard I've seen on head models of this approx polygon density is 8 columns. Basically--on each side of the nose, two columns of polys for the front of the nose, and two columns of polys for the side of the nose that transition into the skin bridge.

Alright that's way more critique than I had intended to give. I'm going to hold off on more comments for now so I'm not shouting over everybody else's c&c. Good luck!

Old 05-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #17
razeverius
Warhammer Addict

portfolio
James Manlangit
Manila, Philippines

Send a message via MSN to razeverius Send a message via Yahoo to razeverius
wow thanks for the tons of feedback jarisky!

anyway, I tweaked her face and added her teeth though it looks weird also I noticed something with her pictures. Her right eye (left0when looking at the picture) seems a little off?

My portfolio:

Behance
Multiply

Old 05-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #18
razeverius
Warhammer Addict

portfolio
James Manlangit
Manila, Philippines

quick question. I recently bought a gaming mouse and was wondering if you could use the shortcut keys on the gaming mouse for Maya? Hopefully you can xD putting shortcuts like center pivot and freeze transformation on the mouse would be great

My portfolio:

Behance
Multiply

Old 05-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #19
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Depends on the mouse but assuming it comes with the appropriate driver software (like Logitech Setpoint for example) you should be able to assign shortcut key combinations to other buttons. I choose not to do that just in case I get too used to having them there and then find myself on a workstation with a standard setup.

Your model is really starting to look like her now. Perhaps the tweaks for subtle but they were certainly effective. I think you're really on the right track and am keen to see how you progress. Good work.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #20
Ishimarushou
Veteran

portfolio
Richard
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by razeverius
quick question. I recently bought a gaming mouse and was wondering if you could use the shortcut keys on the gaming mouse for Maya? Hopefully you can xD putting shortcuts like center pivot and freeze transformation on the mouse would be great

Try X-Mouse Button control http://is.gd/hj0g2P Really great Mouse software.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #21
razeverius
Warhammer Addict

portfolio
James Manlangit
Manila, Philippines

Thanks for the replies guys! So do I customize Maya's shortcuts at the X-Mouse Button control and not at Maya's hotkeys?

Here's a side by side comparison of of Marilyn's photos. I decided to rotate her right eye a little bit off

My portfolio:

Behance
Multiply

Last edited by razeverius : 05-21-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:00 PM   #22
Ishimarushou
Veteran

portfolio
Richard
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by razeverius
Thanks for the replies guys! So do I customize Maya's shortcuts at the X-Mouse Button control and not at Maya's hotkeys?

I'm not 100% sure as I've never done it with Maya, although I'd imagine there is a way as it offers a lot of customisation.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #23
razeverius
Warhammer Addict

portfolio
James Manlangit
Manila, Philippines

Well I'll let you guys know once I've successfully added some maya commands on the mouse

New update on Monroe's face. Just some subtle tweaks to her eyes and cheeks. Am I still lacking something?

My portfolio:

Behance
Multiply

Old 05-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #24
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man,

Your getting closer! It actually does slightly resemble her now.

I would turn on Mental Ray in your scene, and add an area light. Make it around the equivalent of a meter square, and place it maybe 2-3 meters away from your head. Move it up slightly, and off to one side. Then turn on ray trace shadows, and turn the samples up to 30 or so. You may also want to add another one for a rim light.

Add a simple environment map via render settings, and turn on FG. Under diffuse bounces, set that to 3 or 4. You can turn off the environments primary ray visibility via the attributes editor. use any image you fancy for your environment.

Apply a MiaX shader to your head. Under the advanced tab, turn the specular balance all the way down. Crank up the glossiness on your reflections, and turn the samples up to 30 or so.

Having a better light setup should help to you better judge the shape of your model in relation to your photographs.

-AJ

Old 05-23-2013, 06:28 AM   #25
razeverius
Warhammer Addict

portfolio
James Manlangit
Manila, Philippines

Thanks AJ,

so does this mean I should start tweaking her more now back in Maya instead of Zbrush or I can just switch back and fourth?

My portfolio:

Behance
Multiply

Old 05-24-2013, 11:17 PM   #26
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man,

Use whatever tool your most comfortable with. The overall message I was trying to get across was just to roughly match a studio light setup with your model. If your in Maya, you could try that setup I listed. I'm sure there's also a way you could do it in Zbrush, but I'm not that familiar with the program to recommend steps on how to achieve that.

Anyways, you've made some great progress on the model, and its been great watching things progress. Keep at it!

-AJ

Old 05-31-2013, 06:56 AM   #27
razeverius
Warhammer Addict

portfolio
James Manlangit
Manila, Philippines

Ahh I get you now, thanks a lot for the constant help AJ! I'll just do some more subtle tweaks then bring her back in Maya since I don't really know how to use the lights in Zbrush so much

Here's an update on Monroe, made her lipstick darker and made her lips thicker at the sides. I rendered two parts. I feel like I'm relying too much on the texture that it makes me feel like it looks like Monroe because of the mole.

My portfolio:

Behance
Multiply

Old 05-31-2013, 08:14 AM   #28
razeverius
Warhammer Addict

portfolio
James Manlangit
Manila, Philippines

Here's an update without the textures. Thickened the side of her lips.

My portfolio:

Behance
Multiply

Old 05-31-2013, 05:17 PM   #29
razeverius
Warhammer Addict

portfolio
James Manlangit
Manila, Philippines

Did some more tweakings to her lips and face. I'm done for the day.

My portfolio:

Behance
Multiply

Old 05-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #30
Mr-Evil-studio
Expert

portfolio
simy soares
Mr.Evil-studio
New York, USA

Send a message via MSN to Mr-Evil-studio
I adore her, and beautiful are the details of its currency, but there are adjustments must do them the lips and chin
keep on

Thread Closed share thread