Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-09-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
gtm1260
Veteran

portfolio
Gautam Bose
USA

WIP Corvette C7 Model

I've been working on a model when I have time. Its one of my favorite looking cars, and I thought I'd share my basic progress and what references i'm working on. I made some vector drawings based on these photos.

So here are my wireframes, I will try to update as much as possible but I am only in highschool as a sophomore and don't get enough time between school and sports. I guess I really just want to see if I am going about this in basically the right way. Any feedback at all is really really appreciated!

Old 05-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
thehive
Expert
portfolio
Eric Robert
animator/ illustrator
work/\holic Studios.com
Orlando, United States

your wire flow is a bit odd all the lines should flow not have harsh changes in flow or direction
like the front fender to the door should be straight across but follow the contour.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man,

Try to keep your edge loops matched up to important trim details on the car. Also try to keep things as close to squares as you can. Sorry about the squiggly lines, I was just looking for some practice with the pen tool.

-AJ

Old 05-10-2013, 05:03 AM   #4
gtm1260
Veteran

portfolio
Gautam Bose
USA

@thehive and @AJ1 Thanks so much for the feedback! I will be trying to make changes as much as I can but I do have AP exams this week and the next so I may be a bit slow. But thanks for helping !

Old 05-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Cool man, good luck on your test. I just finished up my college finals, so I know the feeling.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:38 AM   #6
gtm1260
Veteran

portfolio
Gautam Bose
USA

Giving up

So I think that I am going to have to throw in the towel on this one guys. It pains me so much to do so as I was really attached to the project and I thought that I would love the final product. I tried for a few hours a day the past week to try to get the poly flow right and start working on the details but I was not getting anywhere at all . You guys were really helpful, but I don't think that I am near a skilled enough modeler to be able to finish this project. I still have interest in it though, so I think that I will watch some tutorials and then try and come back to it later.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
Artdigital
3d Enthusiast
portfolio
Danny Robinson
London, United Kingdom

Hey man, don't give up!.
I see you are using box modelling (which can be tricky from personal experience) and find a way that works for you, I watched countless people box modelling faces I and tried to see the artist's logic and it completely baffled me. An example I use is starting with a cylinder primitive deleting what I don't need and branching off from there follow AJ1's great advice.

First, create a 14 or 18 sided polygon that matches the wheel base (experiment with number of sides please refer to to image) height doesn't matter as this will be deleted

Delete in top view polygons and backside

Select edges you have left and extrude outward

Start to shape the design to the contours of the image

Take it from there, though I would say build the objects (front panel, door, back panel separate). try it and see if it works for you, if you have any problems please let me know.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 05-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man,

Sorry to hear your throwing in the towel. Nothing wrong with putting it away for a little while, and coming back to it later with a fresh perspective. It takes a few tries to get cars right, so don't worry about hitting a home run on your first go. It can be a challenge to keep the surfaces smooth and even at first, but the part of your brain that helps you line things up will eventually get stronger. It might look like a mess to you now, but after you model some simpler things and get more familiar with the tools, you'll be better able to see the overall form and flow in your lines.

I look forward to seeing an update on this one day!

-AJ

Old 05-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread