Write up for Demo Reel

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Write up for Demo Reel

Not sure this is the right place to post this since it's still only a rough description of what I'm going to be doing but here goes.

As the title says below is the write up that I've made for my demo reel that I'll be making for school over the next year and I'm looking for any help in refining so the final outcome a year later will be epic.Thanks for your help.

I'm going for a realistic look while placed in a futuristic time. I'm thinking of either having the scene frozen at one point to show everything or have all the people acting in slow motion while the camera shows what is happening in several passes of parts of the scene. It will portray an opposing faction that has invaded its neighboring faction. I want to put the scene in a mega city that is being burned by the first faction although you will only see one street and the streets that shoot out from it. It's going to be during the night when a thunder storm is over the city. Below is a small story that I wrote to help me keep what I have visualized in my head.

Story: In a futuristic city, on a rainy night, the <Evil Faction> invades its sister Faction, <Good Faction>. Civilians are caught in the march of <Evil> Army as it goes block by block eliminating any resistance that gets in their way and shooting and running over any civilians that get caught in the way. A few <Good> Airships try to defend against the <Evil> Armada in the sky as the city lights up explosions and blood. People weep in the background as they find their loved ones trampled, shot or mutilated. The <Evil> Forces walk through the city stopping only to pillage or to shoot the local defense units.

I'm hoping to keep to this story as much as possible while also staying with a overall realistic look to all the models. Below are the descriptions of the major models that I want to have included in the scene and will portray the story that I want to show.

Enemy Forces;
Airships: Large battleships with 4 turbines to keep them flying, two main engines for thrust and four minor engines for maneuverability. Two forward guns, two swivel guns on the top rear. One cockpit. Hexagon red/orange hardlight shields to help absorb hits.
Tanks: two large heavy tanks with heavy artillery class guns and Hardlight shields.
Soldiers: 5-8 men and women wearing heavy armour with red/orange accents where hexagonal red/orange hardlight shielding emits from. The head piece will contain a visor with several attachments for infrared and X-ray vision. Weapons range from handguns to a heavy assault weapon with varying shapes and sizes.

Colour Scheme; Black with red accents

Good Forces;
Airships: Small, white police type vehicles with limited armour that can withstand heavy weapons fire but not fire from other airships. Two small forward guns and a back swivel gun on the top rear. Two turbines at the front for flight, two small engines for momentum and four smaller engines for maneuverability around tight spots. Two person cockpit.
Tanks: Only one light tank which has a medium gun and two repeaters on each side. Meant for local mafia wars.
Soldiers: Local Police outfitted with emergency equipment in the stations. Medium armour with no Hardlight shielding except for the leader. Visors only cover the eyes and helmets fail to connect to the chest armour. Mostly wielding handguns or light assault weapons.

Colour Scheme; White with your standard red and blue police accents.

Civilians; 3 civilians. First has been run over by an enemy tank, second is running toward the police forces, third is being shot through the chest.

Colour Scheme; Varies from each civilian.

I'm thinking of dropping the Airships since I want to show the story on the ground since it's ultimately more important to show. Let me know if you agree with me on that and if their is anything else that looks like could be altered or added that can make it better.

Once again thanks.

Old 05 May 2013   #2
Hello Vertalion,

very good description of the scene, I can picture it in my mind.
I don't know how much work it will be, as i haven't done anything close to that, but
I believe if you can pull it of, it would be a very strong showreel.

As for story-telling, try telling it by playing with the appereance of forces.

Example: (If tragedy and the bad faction wins...)

You show the good airships preparing, then invading airships crushing them.
Then the good send in a tank with troops, who shoot down one of the invading airships.
Then an invading tank (a destructive beast) who shoots down the 'good tank'(the last hope).
Then the invading soldiers coming into scene, killing 'good soldiers' and civilians, and finishing the battle of.

I mean play around with the opposing forces. Give hints that the 'good' might be able to defend themselves but in the end they get overrun.

Just an idea I wanted to add.

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Accidental double post sorry

Last edited by Vertalion : 05 May 2013 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Accidental Double post

Old 05 May 2013   #4
I definitely will try to use forces to tell the story and if I have the time I want could animate the entire thing however; since I'm going to be concentrating on the models themselves at the moment i want to have it set up as a second in time played in slow motion or frozen to show the models while portraying a story by showing what the characters are doing in that moment. If I get enough time after everything else is done I'll definitely try to do a full animation but for now I don't think I'll have the time to do it.

Old 05 May 2013   #5
I understand, modelling will be already a major task, so concentrate on that.
The animation is just what came to my mind when I read your story.
You can always come back to that or find an animator here in the forum to help you
animating as it will be also a lot of work to animate the whole scene.
This could also help to see the relationship between different stages in computer animation, like between modeller and animator. For example, how the models would have to be prepared before going to animation department and so...

Old 05 May 2013   #6
got some concepts done and I would like your opinion on them if you have time. That includes anyone else that would like to take note on anything that I've posted relating to my demo reel.

Old 05 May 2013   #7
Ummm, considering how much work you've put into this, it kinda sucks to post this, but the reality is that using a short film for a showreel isn't a good idea, if you intend to use this to find work in studios. Some studios actually state outright on their sites that reels should consist simply of shots with a shot breakdown, and specifically mention that short films are not accepted. And even when they don't specifically state it, the same still generally applies. A graduate's reel should ideally be a roughly two minute montage of their best work.

Old 05 May 2013   #8
It sounds like an extremely ambitious project; seems like you are trying to take on Blur studios with something that epic. I would heed what Leigh says; a collection of short high quality pieces would be more effective at conveying your skills than a short with a narrative that would necessarily require watching the whole way through to appreciate the story before coming to a conclusion. That's the kind of time I don't think employers would be willing to spend in assessing a new applicant's work. Not only that, but you'd be freed from having to think of a deep and meaningful story allowing you to focus more on making sure your work achieves the highest visual quality.

Assuming the character you've drawn (with vectors?) is a male, his arms and legs look too short and taper more than they should. He also has what look like very wide hips which aren't very aesthetic on a male physique.

Old 05 May 2013   #9
Ok so just to clarify I'm not making an entire film. I'm just going to be setting up the models in a scene posed to look like they're battling. There still will be the breakdowns and all that but the story is just something that I'm using to keep all the models in the same universe so to speak. The animation is just only if I have time after I get everything else done.
I made the concepts by drawing a rough of the model side, front and top in Photoshop then used the pen tool to create smoother lines. I do agree that the hips seem off but I thought that it looked that way because of the armour plate that was there. As for the length of the arms and legs I'll be looking at other T poses to see how long they have them at.

Old 05 May 2013   #10
Yes, I thought the body proportions looked a little bit of. Overlaying on a T-shape shows this easily. Good idea Vertalion!

Old 05 May 2013   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread