Happy Birthday Nana

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Happy Birthday Nana

now in 3dstills gallery.. thanks!

Last edited by droarty : 05 May 2013 at 07:48 AM.

Old 05 May 2013   #2
Very nice! Great work, I don't understand why they would reject that. Very natural composition and expression. Clothing looks awesome as well...keep it up

Old 05 May 2013   #3
What a great model and render. I can't see how it could have been rejected??? I mean it's almost as good as your other image "The Blue Project" which I love. Keep it up and don't feel bad.

I for one am quite inspired by your two hyper real portraits and really want to do one myself in maya/vray/mental ray. I would be super pleased with a result like this. It's ace!

Cheers
Nath
Secret Life Of Objects - Outhouse
One Small Step

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Thumbs up

seriously???? also shocked to hear why they rejected. at first i thought it was an image for your reference but man...

i think they rejected because it might be lacking emotions in the face, although i dont find it that much to be an issue. good luck.

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Originally Posted by MurtazaRizvi: seriously???? also shocked to hear why they rejected. at first i thought it was an image for your reference but man...

i think they rejected because it might be lacking emotions in the face, although i dont find it that much to be an issue. good luck.

Yea the only thing might be her facial expression specifically with her lips.

As you love portraiture I thought you might like the work of psychologist "Paul Ekman". Really helpful science stuff for understanding emotions such as contempt.

But as I say - love your work . Just trying to think of something that might help ya!

Here are some pics based on Paul Ekmans work.....

Secret Life Of Objects - Outhouse
One Small Step

Old 05 May 2013   #6
p.s. i didnt meant like lacking full emotions but that it would need a bit more happiness in the eyes

Old 05 May 2013   #7
Thanks for the wonderful comments guys! and great links, cheers!
Someone just posted it on Reddit as well.. but it killed my website

Old 05 May 2013   #8
well, sucks that the moderators dont also state a clear reason for the rejection.
sad to see that some really good works being rejected lately

really nice portrait

Old 05 May 2013   #9
dan, perhaps you and marcel with his "ifa final" image uploaded your images on Opposite Day?
i first heard of this in that spongebob episode and sometime i feel i am in this one and spongebob himself is rejecting such images.

http://vimeo.com/8605098

i think its a great image. perhaps some detail bumpmaps for the skin and some variations in hair styling, but rejecting is a bad joke compared to alot of worst stuff in gallery. if such works are rejected, we need split the 3d gallery and another 3d gallery under it, quality wise.

Old 05 May 2013   #10
Thumbs up

This looks great. Maybe they think you send in a photo.

Old 05 May 2013   #11
Originally Posted by droarty: Thanks for the wonderful comments guys! and great links, cheers!
Someone just posted it on Reddit as well.. but it killed my website

Lol! It didn't load when I first saw your thread this morning, but It seems to be loading slowly now.

It looks fantastic! I can't really find any faults in it. Maybe someone from the judging panels could come on here and write a few lines as to why it was rejected.

-AJ

Old 05 May 2013   #12
Originally Posted by kybel: well, sucks that the moderators dont also state a clear reason for the rejection.
sad to see that some really good works being rejected lately

really nice portrait

I can't understand the rejection of these awesome pieces of work. The picture out of your link looks amazing and droarty's work as well.

Old 05 May 2013   #13
The expression is just awesome imho.
That sad-warm look, bought me up in a second.

Old 05 May 2013   #14
Since many moderators vote on gallery submissions, it's pretty much impossible to give an authoritative reason for an image being declined, since everyone votes differently for their own reasons. Honestly I can't recall which way I voted for this one myself, but I will have to respectfully disagree with those suggesting that this image is flawless.

From a technical perspective the image is obviously done pretty well. The character is pretty realistic. But realism doesn't, in my opinion, automatically make an image good. I'd like to think of our galleries as being, first and foremost, art showcases, and in light of that, technical achievement is only one aspect. From a creative aspect, this image does nothing for me. If it were a photo (and this is how I tend to judge realistic works, from a photographic perspective), this would be, honestly, totally unremarkable. Little thought has been given to lighting and composition, which are two top priorities for a photographer. While I certainly commend the artist here on at least giving the character an expression, which is a nice break from the usual bug-eyed, expressionless mugshots that get submitted all too regularly, her placement in the frame is one that skilled photographers would tend to avoid, while the lighting is so ambient that it does nothing to enhance or beautify the subject.

It's frustrating for me to see my fellow artists strive solely for realism while ignoring all the other creative elements of making memorable and emotive imagery. Realism simply isn't the be all and end all of digital artwork. With a subject like this, you could have done so much more with the lighting, in particular. You could have placed her near a window and simulated natural light to highlight her features. Or, since it's a celebration, maybe had her holding a cake with candles, and the candles could have illuminated her. Why go to so much effort to create a realistic subject and then go for such a bland environment and lighting? I'm sorry to be so blunt in my critique but this is how I honestly feel - it seems like such a wasted opportunity. Elderly folks make such great photographic subjects because the lines in their faces are so striking, and using dramatic light or processing is what separates mediocre portraits from memorable ones. It's the same as with cinematography - this is why Kubrick's Barry Lyndon is remembered so well today, because the lighting and use of wide aperture lenses created this incredible, unbelievably beautiful look. And since we are all visual artists too, surely we should strive for the same? Strive for maximum beauty?

At the end of the day, I'm sure you had your reasons and motivations for creating this image, and I'm not going to sit here and say that you were right or wrong in that, because that's a deeply personal aspect of creating any image. But I do feel very strongly that realism alone counts for very little in the broader scheme of things; for me, personally, it's far more important to create images that are beautiful first, and realistic second, if indeed realism is even necessary. I guess if I had to give a nugget of advice, it'd be to get hold of some books of top class portrait photographers and painters, and closely study how they place their subjects in their composition, and how they light them.

Having said all that though, I can totally understand your frustration at your image being declined, as I'm painfully aware that there is a lot of far worse work in the gallery. But that's just kinda how the cookie crumbles when you have a bunch of people voting on images, although we are meant to be cutting down on rejecting images these days. I know that's not going to make you feel any better, but at the end of the day, you really don't need your work to be accepted into a gallery in order to validate your worth as an artist.

Old 05 May 2013   #15
thanks for your answer leigh, very good one.

you have a good point, and i personally agree and respect everything what you said (but it should stand also for other entries, which is not often the case).

in my opinion, it would be great to state such explanation (much briefer of course) along with the rejection, so the artist is at least aware and understands why his work is being rejected, and thus can improve his rejected and future work.

Last edited by kybel : 05 May 2013 at 10:30 AM.

Thread Closed share thread