Trouble with posing

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Trouble with posing

I've finished my first character model for my modeling class, but I run into an issue when I try to pose the character. I do not need to fully rig him for animation, I just need to do a pose with him. I am using 3DS Max 2013 and Mudbox 2013 64 bit. The problem I have in Mudbox is when I attempt to make a pivot, the entire model is "painted green" even when I have to weight map arrow very short.

Here is a render.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 05 May 2013   #2
Time crunch

I am on a deadline for this if someone out there can help me. I need to have this rendered out posed as a 3D Photo Still and a 3D Turn Table render.

Due date is May 9th at 12:30PM US Central Time.

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Does this project have to include the use of a sculpting software as well? if not it maybe easier to stick with a polygon based software in 3dsmax for now. Also it would be helpful to see your wireframe work.

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Artdigital,

Thank you for your reply.

The project requirements were to use 3DS Max and Mudbox specifically. And unfortunately, the wire-frame would not help because I made a mistake and exported this directly to 3DS Max from Mudbox so instead of a displacement map, the render above shows the geometry exactly as a wire-frame would. I downloaded trial version of Silo but I am not familiar with it at all. I am hoping it has a posing tool in the software somewhere.

Old 05 May 2013   #5
...Also how much reference/research had you done for your character, I have learned that to create good 3d you need good reference which will help guide your topology (surface detail/contour) I would consider this looking at folded muscles, muscle mass, a whole variety...

Old 05 May 2013   #6
The model was originally supposed to be a cartoon like model, but I went a bit overboard with it. I used a bit of reference material, but that is not the issue I'm having. I would like the model to look a lot better, but this is my first model of a character.

The real issue is that I am not able to pose him in Mudbox. I do not need to fully rig the character, I just need him for a pose. This was just a learning tool for me for a class. Now that I've made my mistakes and remodeled him 3 times to do it right, I won't make the same mistakes over again.

I appreciate you responding, especially since you are the only one who has so far, but dismiss the quality of the model please. There is no time for me to re-model it. This is due at 12:30PM CST on Thursday and it is already Tuesday. I still have to do a high quality still render of him posed and a posed turn-table movie render.

Old 05 May 2013   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread