One Horse

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
One Horse

This is an unfinished sculpt which is part of a speed sculpt mini comp over at game-artist.net. I thought I would finish the work off here as there is still lots to do and I had reached my time limit. Here are some shots.

Cheers

Old 05 May 2013   #2
although its an awesome sculpting only his tail should be more fluffy or hairy and his lower body should have a bit more detail.

Old 05 May 2013   #3
MurtazaRizvi thanks!
Yup you are right, it is an unfinished sculpt so I will be finishing it off here. Thanks for the directions.
Cheerio

Old 05 May 2013   #4
I guess you probably did the proportions of the human body to the horse correctly (as nature intended both), however, you could make the human slightly bigger, even if it means to be a little out of proportion. I guess, it's not a big deal, since a centaur is a fictional creature, obviously, but it would give the human part of the creature more notice...just a suggestion of course.
Other than that, great start and very nice sculpting so far.

Old 05 May 2013   #5
I thought it looked great at first, but after reading Steve's comments, I totally agree. The human part does look a little small compared to the horse body.

I also think the hooves look a little too stylized. The hard bit on the front is basically like a giant toenail, and theres soft stuff with hair on it around the back. They seem to be much wider than they are tall in real life, but on your model, there really elongated. It makes it look a bit feminized like those little plastic ponies that girls play with. I think the longer hooves insinuate high heels.

But over all the sculpt looks great!

-AJ

Old 05 May 2013   #6
The human part is very well done. I like the way you've integrated the lower abdomen into the chest area of the horse. It's very slick.

However the horse body has been stylized to the point that it no longer really resembles a horse. This might work if the human portion had this same degree of stylization, but as it's more realistically rendered, it just looks mismatched.

The only way to bring your horse sculpture up to the standard of your human form, will be to give horse anatomy the same degree of study you have obviously devoted to human anatomy.

Old 05 May 2013   #7
The_FubaR no I didn't match the proportions. I wanted the body to be more like a Clydesdale or Draft horse. I wanted to do something more aggressive than what is usually done and have more of a Darksiders look. The proportions I wanted are in the pic below. Its a great point and I will bring up the body size a bit and keep an eye on the proportions.

AJ1 thanks man. Great point about the my little pony legs will fix.

tibbi ah judging by your avatar you know how subtle horse anatomy is. The point about the figures not matching is great. Will fix it.

Thanks for the super observations.
Back to zbrush.

Last edited by Kanga : 05 May 2013 at 11:23 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #8
Hey man,

Well those horses didn't get that big until the past 50-100 years. Those types of horses have been breed purely for size and aesthetics ever since the car was invented. They measure these things in units called hands. If I recall, a normal draft horse is around 17 hands, and most horses that you would ride would be around 15 hands. According to Google, 17 hands is 68", and I believe that's measured at the shoulder.

I think you've also got the front legs on your horse a little too far apart, and that might also be a reason the body seems a little disconnected from the horse. The front knees also seem a little too bent back. Even when the knees are locked, the legs are still straight on a real horse. The joints on your legs look too similar to the back legs, even though they should face opposite directions.

I did a google search for Darksiders, and it does look like most of the horses are pretty short and stocky. I know this is a mythical creature though, so I understand that your not trying to make it realistic.

-AJ

Last edited by AJ1 : 05 May 2013 at 05:45 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #9
AJ1 thanks man!
Great crits. The reason for the slow response is the horse body is proving to be more tricky than I thought I am trying to incorporate all the comments here.

Thanks again all.

Old 05 May 2013   #10
You probably already got a ton of refs pictures, but I share with you an e-book I found

http://www.samuelcote.com/pdf/An_At...for_Artists.pdf

It's a copy of Atlas of Animal Anatomy. Real good like 20 pages of orthographic view of the horse

Old 05 May 2013   #11
Originally Posted by Scote: You probably already got a ton of refs pictures, but I share with you an e-book I found

WOW!
I had 2 plates and was searching for more, without luck. This is really amazing reference. Thanks a million

Cheers Scote

Old 05 May 2013   #12
No problem man Glade to help good modeler

Old 05 May 2013   #13
That is a great book. It's the one I use the most.

Old 05 May 2013   #14
yop me too.. the real one.. I don't usely try to find ebook of anatomy because I prefer to pruchase them in physical form, but for Orthographic views.. all that scanning would ruin my book

Old 05 May 2013   #15
A bit more progress.

Cheers

Thread Closed share thread