Wolf

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Wolf

Latest:

Wireframe:

Paw closeup:

It's eventually destined for a still (so just a pose rig). No sculpting/fur/textures yet, still working on the base mesh. Any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited by jtheninja : 06 June 2013 at 07:33 PM.

05 May 2013
Hey man,

I tried something similar a while ago, and it didn't turn out very well . Photo realitic animals seem to take a few tries before you get it looking right, so don't worry about that.

Do you plan on using a hair system? One of the biggest challenges I found was to get the base mesh correct. It can be tough to get the thickness of the hair worked out, as you essentially have to model the animal as though it were bald. I know a lot of animals look way different when shaved. You might want to see if you can dig up some illustrations or photos of bald wolfs.

-AJ

05 May 2013
You should make the claws separate form the body.

Also need to block more your body. If you plain fur you need to match the body without it:

Taxidermy site can help a lot for eye texture and body part. I bought the teeth of myself, really help me

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by Scote: You should make the claws separate form the body.

Also need to block more your body. If you plain fur you need to match the body without it:

Taxidermy site can help a lot for eye texture and body part. I bought the teeth of myself, really help me

Thanks. Looking at that picture and a few others, I'm thinking the curve of the back still needs some work. I'm a little unsure how much of the "hairless" shape to go for here, I've changed my mind on the shape of the tail quite a few times already. I suppose I can always paint a fur length map or something to fluff the tail, so maybe I should make the mesh a lot thinner and more stick-like.

05 May 2013
I did a quick draw over on your sculpt to show some of what I'm seeing in general.

Studying the anatomy of canies will help you to visualize how they are put together. Wolves tend to be pretty fluffy making it hard to see what really going on with the skeleton and muscle. But unless you have a good understanding of the underlying structure it's going to be hard to sculpt a convincing animal.

Finding reference pics that show the top, front, back and underside is very important. This will help you get the volumes right.

Good luck. It looks like a fun project

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by tibbi: I did a quick draw over on your sculpt to show some of what I'm seeing in general.

Studying the anatomy of canies will help you to visualize how they are put together. Wolves tend to be pretty fluffy making it hard to see what really going on with the skeleton and muscle. But unless you have a good understanding of the underlying structure it's going to be hard to sculpt a convincing animal.

Finding reference pics that show the top, front, back and underside is very important. This will help you get the volumes right.

Good luck. It looks like a fun project

Wow, thanks for that sketch. I really appreciate it.

05 May 2013
Updates!

Currently here:

Some fur and shader settings in place (pretty much placeholders, please excuse his terrible test haircut):

Wireframe (with UV seams marked):

UVs themselves:

The empty spot at the top left is bugging me, but I can't think up a good way to lay things out to cover any more space

And a test pattern:

Shaders and UVs are in place though, so texturing time tomorrow! (hopefully)

05 May 2013
You should redo your head.. Wolf nose need more work. Don't jump on the UV yet

Give us your 3 views (front, side and 3 quart) for correction

05 May 2013

05 May 2013
You have a pretty nice cartoon wolf right now. But if you are really going for realistic you're going to have to dig in and study anatomy more carefully. The bone structure is what determines the shapes we see on the surface. Try to find pictures of wolf and dog skeletons. Then see where the bones are the widest, where they are narrowest. Envision how close the surface the bones will come. Taxidermy sites may even have wolf mannequins you can study. Looking at short haired dog breeds will help you see the true body structure. Focus on dogs that are built like wolves. If you happen to have a dog handy, pet it and feel the planes of the body under the fur.

Wolves have lean muscles. It lays close to the bone. The only thing that gives them a round soft look is the fur. Because you intend to use particle hair on this guy what you need to sculpt is the muscles underneath. Get that right and your fur will have something to follow.

Put time into learning what you need to finish this project and it will improve your skills a lot. Rushing through it to the next thing will just be a missed opportunity.

05 May 2013
A lot of google image searches of hairless and stuffed dogs later... (and a lot of mesh cage editing, and sculpting)

To quote Samwise, "I think i'm getting the hang of this!"

How am I doing?

05 May 2013
You're defiantly starting to see the structure and your sculpting is getting much better. You have some nice subtle things happening now.

But I think it's taking on more of a domestic dog appearance. For the length of the body the legs are too short. Wolves are long legged. Just how long depends to the type of wolf, but overall they should be longer then you have them now. The spine should travel up towards the hip. Shoulder blade is longer. Thinner neck. More bone in the lower jaw. From the front: the shoulders slant outward. Chest is higher. Top down; shoulder needs to be farther back. Narrower at waist. Angel in sharper from point of hip to tail bone.

This is what I'm seeing when I compare your sculpt to reference pictures.

05 May 2013
Ok, I think I can work with that. You've been a huge help to me, thank you!

05 May 2013
Because wolf are ancester of the dog. you can use the dog anatomy ref for the body:

Last edited by Scote : 05 May 2013 at 04:02 PM.

05 May 2013
OK, increased the tweaked the head, legs, and shoulders as suggested. And added fur:

Still not 100% happy with the clumps and length on the fur, might still mess with that a little bit.

Thread Closed share thread