WIP Card Challenge - Red Joker

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
WIP Card Challenge - Red Joker

Well, I seem to be off to a LOUSY start.
The psd template uses a font I do not have....
I edited the template to at least change the text, I wanted to reserve a joker
before anyone else grabbed it. System won't accept the template back because it's too large.
Well, all it was was the text change, no great loss.
Hopefully when I get my card's first WIP done (and trimmed to acceptable size) I will be registered as the red joker.
(A very appropriate card for me)

Old 04 April 2013   #2
Um, why exactly is this in the WIP forum?

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Because the rules state that's where it needs to be...
But here's some WIP images to go with it.
Just a start on my joker, working on the shape first and character, getting the polyflow and details as I go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Joker-WIP.jpg (26.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Joker-WIP2.jpg (38.1 KB, 34 views)

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Sorry about the text, I will get that fixed and upload a new template.

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Prolly just that I am using Elements and not CS.
The price I pay for not being able to pay the price you pay
for not paying....Hmmm, this is getting too recursive...
Cause I am cheap?

Old 04 April 2013   #6
If needed, complete the image in 470 x 841px 300ppi and I can throw it into the template for you. Don't worry if you can't open the template. The important part is the image and letting me know what card it's for.

Old 04 April 2013   #7
Oh, I can open the template. Just doesn't like the font, makes me choose another.

Here is the next round of WIP, I have blocked out the body a bit, refined the face a bit, added eyes.
Next I will have to work on the motley suit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Joker_WIP3.jpg (23.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Joker_WIP4.jpg (16.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Joker_WIP5.jpg (16.3 KB, 46 views)

Old 04 April 2013   #8
Try to respect the human anatomy.. Many things are wrong in yours:

Old 05 May 2013   #9
Thank you for the link, I DO use references and try to be accurate.
THIS model is done without references free style, and deliberately meant to be exagerated.
Matter of style in this case, that is why the exagerated hook nose and long chin.
(Punch from Punch and Judy is the general model of the look of a fool from medieval days)
The poly flow is ALSO lousy, however, this model will not be animated, I will be doing the posing in modeler.

Old 05 May 2013   #10
Well, have done a bit of work on him.
Mainly the cap, work on the motley suit,
adding in bells.
Not sure I will keep the feet as long as they are, the actual feet would be shorter,
Being in special shoes, but looks a bit long now that I look.
Will need some work on the wrist cuffs too, and coloring the collar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Joker_WIP6.jpg (27.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Joker_WIP7.jpg (20.9 KB, 44 views)

Old 05 May 2013   #11
Most models done

Well, it is time for a shot of what I have now.
All models have been more or less completed, as far as modeling.
The floor needs a change, about half way up you can see I have a row mismatch, that will be fixed.
Shirly the Jester is still in t-pose, although I have the needed bones to pose him simply.
The gems and jester staff may need some size tweaking, and I will need to work on the composition, but the plan is Shirly, juggling hearts and diamonds, and balancing his staff on one foot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fooltrim.jpg (68.4 KB, 74 views)

Old 05 May 2013   #12
Just curious, but what software are you using for the modelling? The distortion in the floor is strange, it shouldn't really be possible to reproduce such an effect if the floor is a flat plane with a chequerboard pattern applied to it.

I'd pay a little more attention to what Scote said too. In order to improve, one needs to absorb information and advice from others. In order to absorb something, one must become porous and receptive to their suggestions. I've been a member here for years, yet I have only been posting recently. Why? Well, because my work which I thought was good all those years ago turned out not to be, and I look back on it now with a degree of embarrassment. Fortunately I had the sense to work on my basic skills to the point where I could put together a project with some success. Ambition is good but over ambition can be self-defeating and demoralising if one tries to skip ahead and avoid reaching a basic level of competency in matters such as modelling, texturing, and lighting. If you invest the time bolstering these basics you'll reap massive rewards later on.

Old 05 May 2013   #13
I agree with Telemachus. You stated above that you knew what was wrong with your model. I would suggest going back and working on your anatomy and the character. You say you want it to be exaggerated, but in order for something to be exaggerated you have to have something there to exaggerate. Go back, gather lots of reference, remodel your character. Try and improve, you have plenty of time.

Digital Davidson

Art is a rational response to insanity.

Old 05 May 2013   #14
I am using Lightwave, (version 9.6, I can't afford the upgrade)
The floor is NOT a flat plane with a checkboard projected on it, it is a modeled series of tiles, with groves between, hence my having 2 types of floor tiles, they are 2 seperate surfaces. They are using a marble proceedural as a stand in for now.

As for my proportions, instead of critcizing me for NOT using accurate proportions in a caractrariture (prolly mispelled) How about recognizing their are differences in style among artists? Every Pixar movie useing different styles and proportions. Many different traditional animations use different styles and proportions. The traditional view of a joker on a deck is a caractaricture, the jester (which evolved INTO a clown) IS in fact a caractatriture.

So far I have heard "You don't respect human proportions" with specifying what proportions they are taking offense at. I responded by saying I am going freehand with this, and deliberately going for an exagerated style, and thanking politely for the link. (And I am grateful, I have a large collection of references but I am always interested in more.)

Since then I have had 2 responses that basically said "Why don't you listen to your betters, tear up what you did and start again THEIR way?"

I'm sorry, but I don't see why "I" have to make a realistic proportioned human figure to match "Your" style requirements? As near as I can tell, only 2 people have started a WIP in 3d, "I" am the only one who has actually shown a WIP yet, and I have been doing so, refining my models as I went along.

The Challenge was to make a playing card. It wasn't to make a photo realistic human playing card. I could have done that by using Poser or DAZ studio.
You want to say "Your arms are two long for your body" or "The knees are too high up" I will listen, and if I agree that is a problem with "my vision" I will correct it.

But the fact remains their are different styles. If Don Martin posted a card with HIS vision of the queen of hearts would you say his head was too tall and narrow?
If Peter Chung (artist who did Aeon Flux) were to post, would you say all his characters were too tall and gangly?

Can we PLEASE take it as given I "KNOW" about proportions, and working from reference, have done so in the past, will do so in the future?

Old 05 May 2013   #15
Here is the current version. I still have work on surfacing, and some tweaking on the model where the legs bend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foolmetwice.jpg (52.5 KB, 89 views)

Thread Closed share thread