Victorian interior WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #16
Originally Posted by Scote: Oh it's allright to work on something from your mind. But You need ref of lights to try to match the mood you want. Refs are Essentials everytime

It's a night scene I suppose

Hi Scote,

Wow thank you for the references that is very kind of you. I am busy working on getting the lighting sorted, but finding it a bit difficult. I want to add fog to the light so it seems like its light coming from the moon. I created a volume primitive and now just playing around with the settings. I hope I come right.

Kindest regards
Bianca

Old 05 May 2013   #17
I'm not sure if its any help, but I made a test scene a while back while playing around with some volume shaders. It took a while to get going, but I think this is the most accuate volume simulation you can do with the vanilla Mental Ray in Maya. You can turn on FG, and it will really look nice. The scene was saved in the 2013 student edition.

-AJ
Attached Files
File Type: zip LightFog.zip (30.7 KB, 6 views)

Old 05 May 2013   #18
Originally Posted by AJ1: I'm not sure if its any help, but I made a test scene a while back while playing around with some volume shaders. It took a while to get going, but I think this is the most accuate volume simulation you can do with the vanilla Mental Ray in Maya. You can turn on FG, and it will really look nice. The scene was saved in the 2013 student edition.

-AJ

hi AJ1,

Thank you so much for sending me the file, its is very kind of you. I have never done something like this before and I have tried to figure it out based on what you had sent me and I cant seem to get it right. I honestly don't even know where to start. Could you tell me how to get an effect like this or send me a link to a tutorial I have looked on the web but cant really see anything that helps me. Thanks in advanced!

Kindest regards
Bianca

Old 05 May 2013   #19
Smile [Update] Lighting adjustment

Hey there,

I have updated the lights in my scene and taken the advice you guys have been so kind to give me. Please note, I have not added any colour correction to my image yet, as it has come straight out of Maya.

P.S. ignore the red light, it is just a broken reference :-)

I think it looks much better now than what it did before.

Kindest regards
Bianca

Old 05 May 2013   #20
Hola,

Do you know how to make an ambient occlusion pass? It might also help to turn on shadows for your lights.

The volume can be a hassle to get going. The neat thing about this effect is that it can work on all your lights in the scene, and can even work with FG if you want.

-Make a poly box that surrounds your whole scene, and apply this material to it. Link the transmat into the photon and surface slots of your shading group, and the partivolume into the volume. Turn the scatter on the parti volume up a little.

-Change some settings on your light and in your render settings.

-Change some more settings, and hit render.

-AJ

Last edited by AJ1 : 05 May 2013 at 11:46 AM.

Old 05 May 2013   #21
AO: http://wiki.bk.tudelft.nl/toi-pedia...lusion_tutorial

or a video:

http://youtu.be/aJ5PyJtDFfo

Old 05 May 2013   #22

To get it started, you can make a new render pass, and under presets, hit Ambient Occlusion.

Old 05 May 2013   #23
Hi there,

I also found this http://www.samwirch.com/blog/simple...ender-maya-2012 it was very usefull. Thanks for all your help again. I love hearing peoples opinions as it helps me to grow.

I am playing around with the ambient occlusion and I find it very interesting. Will keep you updated on my progress.

Kindest regards
Bianca

Old 05 May 2013   #24
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread