Victorian interior WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Smile Victorian interior WIP

Title: Victorian Study
Name: Bianca-Lee
Software: Maya, mental ray and Photoshop

Good morning all :-)

In this scene I aimed at creating a Victorian era look.

I am in the process of creating my show reel and have started with an interior scene.
Let me know your thoughts good and bad so that I can improve on it.

Please give any first impressions and criticize everything, the texturing, lighting and modeling.
Thanks in advanced

Kindest regards
Bianca

Last edited by Bianca-Lee : 04 April 2013 at 04:43 PM. Reason: added header information

Old 04 April 2013   #2
Modeling good, but for the ttextures and shading you need to redo your Lights. What's your light source? the lamp? the windows? I just feel the lamp and the result doesn't match reality. Like a straight line of light from left to right

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Hola,

It does look a little dark. Are you aiming for a photo realistic look? What software are you using?

-AJ

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Originally Posted by Scote: Modeling good, but for the ttextures and shading you need to redo your Lights. What's your light source? the lamp? the windows? I just feel the lamp and the result doesn't match reality. Like a straight line of light from left to right

Hi Scote,

Thank you kindly for the advice, I really appreciate it :-)

WRT the lighting, I agree that the lights seem a bit off, I have used 3 lights from behind the camera and one in the lamp. I have plugged in IES profiles into my lights, to get real world lighting. I could probably get rid of the lights behind the camera, as it is causing unrealistic lighting in the scene. I added the extra lights (3 behind the camera) in the scene as i was afraid my scene might seem a bit dark without it.

I will keep you up-to-date on the changes I will be making based on your advice.

Kind regards

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Originally Posted by AJ1: Hola,

It does look a little dark. Are you aiming for a photo realistic look? What software are you using?

-AJ

Hi AJ,

Thank you very much for commenting on my render :-)
The look I am going for is not photo realistic, but I want the viewer to get a feeling of realism. I don't know or can't think of the proper word for what I am trying to describe at this moment, but hope you understand what I mean

I am using Autodesk Maya and mental ray.
Kind regards

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Originally Posted by Bianca-Lee: Hi AJ,

Thank you very much for commenting on my render :-)
The look I am going for is not photo realistic, but I want the viewer to get a feeling of realism. I don't know or can't think of the proper word for what I am trying to describe at this moment, but hope you understand what I mean

I am using Autodesk Maya and mental ray.
Kind regards

P.S. I am going for an evening look :-)

Old 04 April 2013   #7
Are you going for the type of look you might find in a Pixar or Dreamworks film?

Old 04 April 2013   #8
Originally Posted by AJ1: Are you going for the type of look you might find in a Pixar or Dreamworks film?

Yes

or even a Tim Burton film

Old 04 April 2013   #9
Hola,

I'm not a very skilled paint over artist, but it might help to add some color, light, and shadowing to your image. Most of the sets you see in a Burton film use colored light, and are typically over lit so you can see things.
-AJ

Old 04 April 2013   #10
Originally Posted by AJ1: Hola,

I'm not a very skilled paint over artist, but it might help to add some color, light, and shadowing to your image. Most of the sets you see in a Burton film use colored light, and are typically over lit so you can see things.
-AJ

Hi AJ,

Love what you did to my image ! I could probably do this in After Effects after rendering it out in Maya or what do you suggest? I could also try doing this in Maya, but feel I would get the best results in After Effects.

Kindest regards

Old 04 April 2013   #11
Are you going to make an animation with this, or just a still image? Either way, a good place to start would be to work on the lighting. Try placing a light where the moon might be, turn on ray trace shadows, and let it shine though the window. It also might help to add some ambient occlusion to your scene. You can do all of your color correcting work in AE or Photoshop.

Old 04 April 2013   #12
Originally Posted by AJ1: Are you going to make an animation with this, or just a still image? Either way, a good place to start would be to work on the lighting. Try placing a light where the moon might be, turn on ray trace shadows, and let it shine though the window. It also might help to add some ambient occlusion to your scene. You can do all of your color correcting work in AE or Photoshop.

Hi AJ,

Great, thanks for the advice I will definitely try this and keep you posted on my progress.

With regards to your question, its going to end up being a 10 second animation of the camera panning through the room. The curtains are made of nCloth so it has movement to it as well.

Kind regards
Bianca

Old 05 May 2013   #13
Do you use some refs photos for your mood light?

Old 05 May 2013   #14
Originally Posted by Scote: Do you use some refs photos for your mood light?

Hi Scote,

To be honest I did not, as I drew my scene out on paper. So I did not have a proper reference to work from. LOL

Old 05 May 2013   #15
Oh it's allright to work on something from your mind. But You need ref of lights to try to match the mood you want. Refs are Essentials everytime

It's a night scene I suppose

Thread Closed share thread