Im here a lot

portfolio
Nicholas McElmury
Generalist
Magic Pictures
Los Angeles, USA

Enterprise E

Hey everyone.
So I've always been a bit of a Trek geek and decided it was about time I take a stab at something Star Trek related.

The Enterprise E was always my favorite design to come from that series so alas, I'm going to model it.

Turns out it's a bit more challenging than I had anticipated. Everything more or less flows together and there is a ton of detail that I had never noticed before. In my search for reference I found out there are a lot of different "types" of these things, like differences in small details from one piece of reference to another. So I went ahead and bought a model off Amazon and have been more or less using that as my main reference!

Anyways, here's what I have so far. It's a bit slow going, but it's proving to be a lot of fun.

I have my basic shape down, now I'm starting the details. Working my way from the shuttle bay back to the warp nacelles, then I will tackle the saucer section.

www.nickmcelmury.com

"The best things in life are either illegal, fattening, or take too long to render."

Old 04-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
nmcelmury
Im here a lot

portfolio
Nicholas McElmury
Generalist
Magic Pictures
Los Angeles, USA

A bit of progress.

www.nickmcelmury.com

"The best things in life are either illegal, fattening, or take too long to render."

Old 05-01-2013, 02:29 AM   #3
Plaguedude
Veteran

portfolio
Robert Lavender
Dallas, USA

Looking good, I started working on my own variation of Kirk's Enterprise (more faithful to the original, and FAR more subtle than the new movie version) and I can say the scooped out part of the aft secondary hull is bit of a nuisance, it looks good on yours.

The only thing I see that I might change is the nacelle pylons, they look a little thin. From the pictures of it on Memory-Alpha, it looks like they actually have a bevel at the leading and trailing edges and are maybe 50% thicker than you have them right now. Otherwise, looks spot on, looking forward to seeing more of it. Would be nice to see wires at some point too.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:49 AM   #4
nmcelmury
Im here a lot

portfolio
Nicholas McElmury
Generalist
Magic Pictures
Los Angeles, USA

Plaguedude - Spot on man. I knew those things looked a little strange. From what I can see now looking a little closer at some photos, it's the bevel that gives it that thicker look, and it only gets thin near the front and back of the pylon.

I have a bevel on it now, but it needs to be way more pronounced. I'll post some wires with my next update.
Thanks!

www.nickmcelmury.com

Old 05-06-2013, 06:36 AM   #5
nmcelmury
Im here a lot

portfolio
Nicholas McElmury
Generalist
Magic Pictures
Los Angeles, USA

Got a bit more done this weekend.

Going to clean up my mesh a bit, especially around the window portals as it's getting a little messy. Also need to do a bit of cleanup on the nacelles, the mesh is collapsing a bit on itself when it's smoothed.

Thickened up the nacelle pylons, definitely looks a lot better.

And a couple of wireframes.

www.nickmcelmury.com

Old 05-15-2013, 04:28 AM   #6
nmcelmury
Im here a lot

portfolio
Nicholas McElmury
Generalist
Magic Pictures
Los Angeles, USA

Windows...windows everywhere.

A bit of progress, been cutting in windows, which might be the most tedious thing I've ever done, but it's coming along.

Started work on the saucer section as well.

www.nickmcelmury.com

Old 05-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
Wiz-Wiz-Wiz
Frequenter

portfolio
Paul Johnson
Computer and Video Games Producer
Manchester, United Kingdom

Looking good, although by no means am I an expert on the Enterprise and its many iterations but nothing on this jumps out as being wrong Nice model!

Old 05-27-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
nmcelmury
Im here a lot

portfolio
Nicholas McElmury
Generalist
Magic Pictures
Los Angeles, USA

Wiz-Wiz-Wiz - Thanks man! Much appreciated.

Finished up the model, for now. I might go over it once more and try to find any detail I might have missed.
Onto texturing next.

I'm liking the way this is turning out, so I may end up doing some sort of animation with it, though I'm not sure what at this point.

www.nickmcelmury.com

Old 05-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man,

Great work on the model! Things look really sharp, and your highlights really map well across your surface. The bevels and panel edges look really even, and it helps sell the scale of the model.

Are your windows just a texture map? Do you plan on adding any kind of interior, or are you just trying to match the original model with the solid windows?

-AJ

Old 05-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #10
nmcelmury
Im here a lot

portfolio
Nicholas McElmury
Generalist
Magic Pictures
Los Angeles, USA

Thanks AJ,
That's one thing I've learned over the past couple large scale models I've done, it's really the small details that sell the size. It gets tedious cutting in all that detail but it really helps in the end.

The windows are all cut in, which was a serious headache. I'm unsure about interiors at the moment. Once I figure out exactly what I want to do with this, I will maybe make some depending upon how close I get to them!

www.nickmcelmury.com

Old 05-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #11
Plaguedude
Veteran

portfolio
Robert Lavender
Dallas, USA

Looks really good, I'm sure it'll look even better once its textured, especially if you can match the texturing quality of the the 2009 Enterprise.

As for animation, you might not want to do this as it would require a lot more modeling, but a scene was planned for the end of Nemesis where the Enterprise was to be seen relaunching from space dock after it's repairs. They ran out of time and/or money to do it, but it would probably make for a good animation.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:32 AM   #12
nmcelmury
Im here a lot

portfolio
Nicholas McElmury
Generalist
Magic Pictures
Los Angeles, USA

Plaguedude - Thanks for the reply man.
Yeah I'm storyboarding out a quick sequence right now I've decided on.

I'm going to do it leaving spacedock. Though I'm probably going to make my own version of it, I think the dock looks pretty boring in the movies and the series. Maybe make something with a a little more detail and a little more industrial.

I got a brief start on the textures tonight, nothing worth posting. It's proving to be fun creating the aztec texture that's present all over the ship, it's really bringing it to life.

www.nickmcelmury.com

Old 06-02-2013, 12:25 AM   #13
nmcelmury
Im here a lot

portfolio
Nicholas McElmury
Generalist
Magic Pictures
Los Angeles, USA

Got crackin on the textures a bit. Still working on the saucer.

I have to fix the alignment of the pattern, it gets a little skewed and isn't lining up correctly with the windows on a few parts.

Mind the aliasing and the noise. :P

www.nickmcelmury.com

Old 06-02-2013, 12:25 AM   #14
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread