Townhouses

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Townhouses

Just rendering out your everyday boring set of townhouses. So far I've been working on this in my spare time for about a fortnight.

C&C please.
Created using 3DS Max and Vray.

Old 04 April 2013   #2
Hey man,

It seems a little strange viewed from that angle. I think it might seem more natural if you moved the camera down to eye level. The lighting is a little meandering, and it honestly doesn't look very earth like. If you going for a sunset look, I would imagine that the light would be brighter and more saturated. Or if your after a post sunset look, that things would be blue. Your brick texture also looks tiled, or maybe its just the high contrast between the grout and the brick. Either way, the brick does stick out too much.

-AJ

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Originally Posted by AJ1: Hey man,

It seems a little strange viewed from that angle. I think it might seem more natural if you moved the camera down to eye level. The lighting is a little meandering, and it honestly doesn't look very earth like. If you going for a sunset look, I would imagine that the light would be brighter and more saturated. Or if your after a post sunset look, that things would be blue. Your brick texture also looks tiled, or maybe its just the high contrast between the grout and the brick. Either way, the brick does stick out too much.

-AJ

Thanks for the feedback. In this update, I have messed around with the lighting, the camera angle and I also made the brick texture a little bit lighter in a bid to make it not contrast the grout so much.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Hey man,

Is this an actual piece of construction, or something of your own design? Obviously I'm not an architect, but that brick work around the balcony doesn't pass the eye test. It might help to at least line up the bricks around the edge. I've never seen brickwork like that before though. Bricks are pretty heavy and brittle, but they've got massive compressive strength. They work best when stacked from the ground up, rather than the narrow, horizontal planes you have in your design.

Are those small water features by the door? If your trying to make your design practical, those probably wont hold up. You would need to chlorinate and run a filter like a pool, and I would think people would fall into them all the time.

Your door also seems a little small relative to your floor height. Most doors are around 80-90% the height of the level.

Sorry to be harsh and tear into your design.

-AJ

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Originally Posted by AJ1: Sorry to be harsh and tear into your design.

Hey man, no worries. All the points you raised were solid and constructive. The reason I ask for C&C in the first place is so I can get helpful insight from different point of views. I'm no longer studying 3D in an institution, so I treat these threads as like showing my work to a lecturer and asking for an opinion.

As for your first question, it's a derivative of a floor plan I picked up off Google. The only thing I really changed was adding a balcony >.< so yeah you can tell I know shit all about architecture.

As for the water feature, I'm sure I could make them practical. I'll just need to do some research. The idea came from my local cities library, which I can't seem to find a photo of online. That's an open, man-made pond that doesn't have any barriers and its right in the heart of a city.

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Todays progress:

Old 04 April 2013   #7
Cool man. I'm not sure if its any help, but here are a few of my rambling ideas. Brick seems to look great when stacked in vertical columns, so it might look sharper if you straighten the brick out. That could also help open up the entry area, and maybe you could fit a window in there.

-AJ

This was the only image that I found that showed a balcony with a thin layer of bricks around the edge.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__qbIIsSwm...nt+Artistic.JPG
I don't think its a very common design, as most of the images I found showed balcony's made from steel, concrete, or wood.

-AJ

Old 04 April 2013   #8
Today's update; I sorted out the balcony (going for a metal pylon look instead of the brick) and a few other odds and sods here and there.
Also mind the lightpost of the right-hand side, that's an modelling error on my behalf. It's too late to do another render >.<

Old 05 May 2013   #9
Minor update for today:

Old 05 May 2013   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread