Old 04-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
Kirt
Expert

CGSociety Member
portfolio
na
USA

Talking WIP Challenge! - Playing Card Designs - Deadline Aug 31st

Hello fellow artists! It's been a long time since we had a good challenge happening here in the WIP forums. Back in the day we'd often have small challenges to give artists an opportunity to work on a specific design problems, to help develop new artists' skills, and to promote our community with valuable peer critiques. This will be the first of (I hope) many future challenges to come. The objective is to have fun, help your friends, and build your illustration skills.

The Challenge! 54 Playing Card Deck

We are going to illustrate each card for a standard 54 playing card deck. A standard playing card deck includes 2 Joker cards plus one each of the following cards for each suit (hearts, spades, clubs, diamonds): 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, J, Q, K, A.

Your task is to pick a card and to illustrate the front face of the card. I have created a template that you will need to work with to ensure some basic conformity amongst all the entries and you should try to keep your illustration in theme with the suit/number. However, aside from those two requirements, you are free to be as creative as you wish with your design.

Click on image to download the template

About the Template
The template is an Adobe Photoshop file (.psd) and is fairly self explanatory once you have it open. A few things to note though ...
  • Do not alter any part of the locked layers.
  • Suits and number text are included (do not create your own style).
  • Keep all added text and important parts of your illustration within the safe area.
  • The illustration area (green box) is provided as a guideline and you are welcome to expand beyond this area providing that you don't interfere with the readability of the text. However, it is recommended to keep all parts of your illustration within this area (whenever possible) for consistency throughout the deck.
  • The illustration area is 470 X 841 pixels and 300 pixels per inch.
  • All illustrations must include a title (at top) and the artist name (at bottom).
  • The optional 3rd line of text is there if you wish to include your website, email address, or other contact info.
  • Trim area is what is cut from the sheet if printed. If you want your illustration to 'bleed' to the edge of the card, make sure your illustration carries over into this trim area.

How to Participate
Since this is a WIP challenge, we want to see your work in progress. Please create a new thread for your entry in the appropriate WIP forum (we're running this in 3D and 2D WIP forum) and give your thread an appropriate title.

Example Thread Title: WIP Card Challenge - card name

It's important to get this thread title correct, because I will be using it to search for entries. I will also post a sticky thread at the top of each WIP forum that will contain links to the entries. This thread also serve as a reference to which cards are currently being worked on and allow new participants the option to choose cards that are not yet represented in the deck.

Please be patient while I locate and list your entry in this thread before you send me any messages saying that you are not listed. If I don't have your name up after 72 hours, then feel free to send a gentle reminder to my PM inbox (please include a link to your thread).

Deadline: August 31, 2013 11:59pm PST
Please post final images in this thread.

PRIZES!
At the end of the deadline, the CGTalk staff (or myself) is going to select some winners from the completed entries. For the winners, we have a free CGWorkshop + 1 Ballistic Book for 1st Prize and a Ballistic Book each for 2nd and 3rd Prize!

And Then What?
I am sure that you are all asking yourself, "Are these going to be printed?" or "Can I buy a pack of the finished deck?" I would like to say, "Yes!" to both questions. However, at this time, I can't commit to anything. I've mentioned this challenge to the site Admins and there was mention of printing, but nothing was confirmed and they do have other important projects currently in the works.

So, don't get your hopes up.

However, for the sake of there being a slim possibility of a print run ... don't loose your original files. I will do what I can to get some form of recognition and promotion for those who participate (social media promotion and possible prizes were mentioned).

Need Inspiration?
The idea for the challenge came from a personal desire to have a cool looking playing card deck for camping trips. I started searching online for something I could purchase (or make) and ran across a couple interesting sites. The template and idea for the challenge is closely related to (and inspired by) www.custom52.com. If you'd like some inspiration for your illustration, I would recommend browsing through their printed decks and the current artist submissions.

See also: www.thegamecrafter.com and www.bicyclecards.com

Anything Else?
Please keep in mind that I am running this challenge in both WIP forums and that my time here is voluntary. If I don't answer a question or get back to you immediately on an issue, please be patient. I'm sure other FLs or members will help when possible but some posts may go unnoticed. Feel free to PM me if you have waited patiently and checked both WIP forums for possible answers/solutions.

Also, please help by giving critique and/or encouragement to other artists participating in this challenge. These types of challenges are only successful when there is active participation in every thread.

When we approach the deadline, a new thread will go up for everyone to post their final images. The final entry thread will be open for entries only and the thread you are currently reading will be monitored for off topic (OT) discussion. Post questions and concerns regarding the challenge below and comments, opinions, or general discussion in relevant WIP threads.

Thank you. Have fun and good luck with the Challenge!

Last edited by Kirt : 08-13-2013 at 11:22 PM.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
Kirt
Expert

CGSociety Member
portfolio
na
USA

Sorry, forgot to include the proper font with the template. I will correct that ASAP and have the template download corrected.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Kirt
Expert

CGSociety Member
portfolio
na
USA

The template file has been updated. The zip file contains the pdf and fonts used.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
Kirt
Expert

CGSociety Member
portfolio
na
USA

PRIZES added to the WIP Challenge! See first post for more info.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:37 AM   #5
Kirt
Expert

CGSociety Member
portfolio
na
USA

Final deadline has been set to August 31st. I will post a final entry thread in the 2D WIP forum in about a week. All final entries need to be posted in the thread before September 1st to be considered for judging.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:37 AM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread