WIP - Shopping Basket

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
WIP - Shopping Basket

Hello,

This is a project I had a while ago. The objective was to redesign shopping baskets. I focused on traditional rattan baskets and tried to import the looks. The piece was to be created out of plastic injection.

Back then I used this project to start working on 3ds Max, and it was all a process of learning. Never made it to the final looks and level of detail I wanted, so now I want to start all over again and see how it turns out.

This is how it looked:

So, I'm giving the topic a 24H advance (itís only my 2nd post yet) and hopefully I'll have something worthy of mention on the new model by then.

Regards ^^

Old 04 April 2013   #2
I've started by creating a new mesh because the old one was awful. Also reduced the thickness a bit. Next step is to create the handle which I want to organically come out of the body, and I plan to animate it later, so it's going to be a bit of a challenge.

Here's the previous geometry:

And the new one:

Always room for improvement so, fire at will.

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Your geometry is much better second time round, which will help with the smoothing issues you have in your first version. How are you planning to do the holes in the mesh?

A couple of other points:

- I'd say the material is far too reflective, most shopping baskets you find are in a matt material. From a design perspective, a basket this shiny would quickly start to look very scruffy as it got scuffed and marked during use.

- The handle looks a bit thin and weedy for the size of the basket, can't imagine it would be easy to use and if it were in plastic it would probably flex and bend too much. Maybe add some strengthening ribs or just increase the thickness in general? You could incorporate some rattan detailing into it to keep it more with the theme.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Yes I agree with you on the material and the handle. At the time I really didn't had any experience with modeling and rendering whatsoever so I just took what I could get.

What I plan to do now is maybe uvmap it and create different areas with different bumpiness and specularity, and possibly create some pattern with it that goes along with the holes. I'm kind of designing it along the way so I donít have everything sorted out yet.

On the holes I was thinking of something that would randomize some given shapes along the mesh, but I'm not sure how to do that yet. Will search on the net when I get there.

My biggest problem now is to fix the handle (which includes the problems you pointed out), using the rattan theme on it was on the initial sketch so it should go that way, but it needs more of a triangular structure to keep it rigid and save material. Also it needs to rotate and fit on the bottom of the basket, and the baskets need to fit on each other so there is a lot of planning on that field.

Thank you very much for the critique.

Last edited by Octavarium : 04 April 2013 at 06:02 PM.

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Hello.

Back with some (few) updates. I had some issues with the rotation of the handle and some faces that were intersecting with the main body; finally got it solved.

The topology is not perfect but I really couldn't find a better way to do it. Suggestions?

It's not the final shape yet but I'll leave the details to later.

Now, on with the holes!

Old 04 April 2013   #6
I think that handle near joints is too thin, it is most likely rip off because of weight if basket will be filled with lots of stuff.

Old 05 May 2013   #7
Hello,

Darth-Biomech, it's actually not than thin. And it will have a sort of cylindrical piece that will fit into the main body. Also, the kind of plastic that they use to make these nowadays has some strength.

I had a bit of a struggle to make the holes on this, on one side because I didn't really knew what I was going for in terms shape, and on the other because I'm only just an apprentice so everything is a hard thing really.

You can see on this thread some of the experiments I went through.

So basically the process for the holes was to use Generate Topology on a plane, and then Conform to give it the mesh shape, attach and weld some vertices.

The topology is looking pretty bad, but I have been playing with it for some hours now and I canít see many ways of making it better without messing with the smoothness. I know nothing 'though (like that folk John Snow) so if you have suggestions please fire at will.

This is the mesh with shell and subdivision

Without subdivision

And these are the smoothing issues it has right now.

This is the general look of it.

Old 05 May 2013   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread