Raptor WIP Critique Please

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Raptor WIP Critique Please

This is my first stab at a 3d model in quite some time now. I think a few years. So I'm a bit rusty. However don't go easy on me. I want real critiques to make this model the best it can be.

My goal is to create a model raptor based on the Jurassic Park 3 design for my portfolio site
stevesloan.ca

Since my knowledge of animal anatomy is minimal, I figured you guys could help point out anything that doesn't look right to you.

I am about to retopologize, so i will be posting those images soon.

Thanks!

Old 04 April 2013   #2
Looks good so far, only either the "hands" are too big, or the "feet" are too small, or both, something doesnt feel quite right about it
but still, nice work

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Looks nice, but hands are too large and arm too long. Seems like the center of gravity is a bit off, the legs would be more tilted forward standing up.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Hey man,

Yea, I agree with the above post. It looks too front heavy, and the arms are too large. Notice in your ref that the shoulder appears to be below the hip, and the fingers make up around 1/3 the length of the arm. Your feet also look a bit small and narrow. The muscles around the shoulder and hip should be larger, and the ribs should be wider around the stomach. Your tail should taper off much sooner. Also notice that when its standing, the feet are in front of the hip joints, not even with them like you have shown now.

-AJ

Last edited by AJ1 : 05 May 2013 at 07:03 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Thanks for the feedback guys. Here is a little update. I am still not sure if it is balanced.
At this point i am thinking the proportions are balanced but it needs to be posed correctly.

Now that im looking at the side view it looks like the feet need to be bigger still. I'll do that next.

Old 05 May 2013   #6
Hey man,

Looks better!

Did you line up your model to any drawings? Your model still looks a little long compared to what I'm seeing on google. It looks like most of the drawings show the top of the hip, the back knee, the top of the shoulder, and the front elbow as forming roughly a square. Yours looks more like a rectangle. I would try to shrink the head, and compact the rib cage.

Most of the more scientific drawings have these things as being rather bird like, and are pretty skinny with long, thin necks.

-AJ

Old 05 May 2013   #7
hi!

you're getting better, now the arms are good but hands are too big, and the soulders are too low

nice job anyway!

Old 05 May 2013   #8
Thanks everyone for all the advice.
@AJ1 Good idea about checking my refs better. I had been getting overconfident in my skills thinking i didn't need them. This is the image i used to line up everything. Might have to thicken up that forearm, and tone the legs a bit.

Starting to get some character to it

Old 05 May 2013   #9
Looks really nice!!

I find you matched the reference image pretty well.
Maybe you could give it a little bit more of a leathery look. Like skin hanging a little bit more downwards, not being to tight on the muscle. Like when you look under the tail on the reference image. Maybe this can also be achieved with texturing.

Just throwing my two pence in.

Good work!!!

Old 05 May 2013   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread