Two week Blender modeler.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Two week Blender modeler.

Here is some of the stuff I have made in the two weeks since I started to use blender. What do you guys think? What should I focus on learning next? I know nothing about UV mapping and texture work, but I don't really know where to start.
The images are posted in order so I can see my improvement. I feel like I have learned a lot about modeling and I really enjoy it. It has given me an excuse to start drawing again. I will continue to update this as I finish stuff.

The first thing I ever made. I spent way to much time learning the hotkeys

The second model I did was from a tutorial. The handle is totally busted.

Peppers! First fluid sim.

My second model made without the help of a tutorial.

Second fluid sim. From a guru tutorial. I was very happy with this.

Third solo model. Started playing around with lighting and sets. Found out I could mess with the camera.

Snake hook! and other brush messing about.

I was sad when I found out that everybody used fluid to make donuts. I thought I was clever.

The render I finished today. I am very happy with this. It is the background of every electric device I own!

Old 04 April 2013   #2

Last edited by GuttlessCashew : 04 April 2013 at 07:29 PM.

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Hey man,

This looks way better than the things I was making after 2 weeks! I think its great that your going for different art styles, and complementing that with drawing. I always think its neat when someone just likes to play around, and does everything from realistic renders to abstract shapes and experimental designs. Keep us posted on your new work for sure!

-AJ

Old 04 April 2013   #4
While it's great to experiment with different styles and tools, this isn't necessarily the best way to learn in the long run. Of course I remember when I first started in 3D and I also spent a while tinkering with everything, but my advice to you would be to start taking a more focused approach. Less is more - set yourself a little project of a single image or animation, plan it from start to finish, and do it. It could be something like creating a detailed scene. That way, you'd challenge yourself, get to experiment with all your tools and options, but end up with a totally finished scene that will give you lots of satisfaction. This could be a scene entirely from your imagination of a 3D recreation of a photo that you like. The important thing though is to have a plan for how it must look when finished, because this gives you something to aim for.

My first "complete" thing I did when I started out was a fly through animation of a castle. So I modelled it, I made little volumetric fires in the fireplaces, got to experiment with lots of different surfaces like stone, wood and metal, got to learn how to animate a camera along a path, set up basic lights, etc. So while it was a single project, it involved a lot of different things so there was still the thrill of experimentation but it was very constructive from a learning perspective as it was focused, with a defined start and end and a complete, finished animation.

With some of the things you've created so far, you could possibly start building a scene like a restaurant or kitchen. Focus your thoughts and workflow, don't spread yourself too thin.

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Yes I am working on one I will post some progress pics once I get to a good point. All I have right now is some napkin scribbles.

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Well napkin scribbles are a great way to start, and it's good to hear you're spending time planning concepts before getting to the 3D. It's an essential step that many skip, to their detriment.

Old 04 April 2013   #7

I have a stool and a crappy drawing for today.

Old 04 April 2013   #8

Quick layout of the diner. Ideas for extra detail?

Rough looking booth seat, don't really know the best way to go about this.

Old 04 April 2013   #9

Did some more work today, redid the benches so they don't look as bad. Does anybody know why the glass on the door isn't transparent? I figure it might have something to do with the ior setting.

Old 04 April 2013   #10
Originally Posted by GuttlessCashew:
Did some more work today, redid the benches so they don't look as bad. Does anybody know why the glass on the door isn't transparent? I figure it might have something to do with the ior setting.

You can search for a IOR index table, here's one I've found:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=513458
Do you have there a reflection shader, or a glass shader?

Old 04 April 2013   #11
It is a glass shader in cycles. With an ior of 1.5

Old 04 April 2013   #12
Dont worry about shaders and stuff for now, just focus on getting the model done.

Old 04 April 2013   #13

Didn't do as much as I'd like as I was busy this week. So made some plates and other stuff. Would like to add some outside stuff and add more detail to the room still.

Old 04 April 2013   #14
Originally Posted by GuttlessCashew:
Does anybody know why the glass on the door isn't transparent? I figure it might have something to do with the ior setting.

The glass shader in cycles should add teh effect you want. Try it from differnet angles or change the ior, if this is the angle you want, and see what works better for you.

Last edited by bipolarmadman : 04 April 2013 at 01:41 AM.

Old 04 April 2013   #15
That is the glass shader though. It only becomes transparent when the cam is looking directly at it.

Thread Closed share thread