Machinarium re-make

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
This is where I'm at from a compositional standpoint.
Still feel I should dramatically rework the background texture.

*Edit*

F it, I'm going back to the original camera and finishing up from this angle. I think it has more to offer as a whole vs some cropped down/zoomed in shot.

Last edited by ThePriest : 04 April 2013 at 07:07 PM.

04 April 2013
Glad I stayed the course. Making some progress.

Sun/Sky setup is a temporary thing.

04 April 2013
Looking good, I'm glad you went back to this angle, it gives their location better context.

04 April 2013
Me too, thanks.

Starting some lighting work as I model the remaining details.

04 April 2013
Little more lighting/texture work.

04 April 2013
Some higher res previews (drag to new tab to view)
Still some work to do yet. Probably want to re-do the wall textures, as they're driving me nuts.

04 April 2013
good job so far.

but youll have to redo the lighting imho. youre completely loosing the characters against the background, 3 your characters are almost invisible now.

i suggest making the background a bit darker, also try to catch more reflections on your characters, itll make sence to me since theyre mostly made of metal. as for now they look kinda dull.

some rim lighting could also help to differentiate those robots from the background and make them pop.

04 April 2013
The lighting definitely needs tweaking, not sure I want to start over.

The main problems is that I tried to represent textures from the drawing, I needed to remind myself that it didn't need to be an accurate portrayal of the original and that simplicity in some areas, might actually benefit the piece.

At this point, I'm looking more towards realism.

04 April 2013
You don't need to start over with the lighting. The best way to approach this would be to simply add some more lights that affect only the performers, and tweak those to get the right look. I'd also suggest rendering the scene into multiple parts to give you control over the characters separately to the background. You could just render out some alpha channels for this and tweak the rest in post.

I did a quick paintover to show a more effective approach. I did this by painting a quick mask to separate the characters - I then painted some quick rim lighting onto them, lightened them a little, and then darkened most of the background in a sort of vignette fashion. This causes the background to visually recede, which helps to focus the eye on the main subject, which is the band of performers. Remember, lighting isn't just there to illuminate the scene, it's a very powerful creative tool in its own right and should always be used to draw the eye to the subject.

04 April 2013
Thanks Leigh, that's freaking awesome. Maybe I should have you do the final color correction.

I often use multiple renders and multiple layers from 'Looks' to get a better look.
So far, I've spent very little time in post.

This latest pass considers what might be behind the camera, with a few (odd) highlights (at the moment). It falls short of what I had in mind, but this is the WIP forum.

04 April 2013
Well it's good to see that you're already thinking with post in mind. Too often people get hung up on getting everything perfect in the render right off the bat, when what really ultimately counts is the image itself - post colour and tonal correction plus blending of different passes almost always results in the best images, because the artist has spent the time focusing on the beauty of the image instead of obsessing over the technicalities of getting something "pure" out of the renderer.

Looking forward to your next update.

04 April 2013
I've spent the entire day lighting and have hopefully gotten to a good place. The mood has gone from the original, but I quite like the balance of the piece. The texture change on the walls is helping for me, perhaps it's a little too boring now. Please advice, I appreciate the feedback.

04 April 2013
Small update.

04 April 2013
I'm done. Thanks for watching.

04 April 2013
Some parody versions for kicks.

Last edited by ThePriest : 04 April 2013 at 11:35 PM.

Thread Closed share thread