Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-05-2013, 06:26 AM   #1
owsleyw
Veteran

portfolio
William Owsley
Las Vegas, USA

Rejected Image

I was informed that this image did not meet the quality of standards needed to be posted in the finished forums and that I should post it in WIP. Let me know what you think.

Thank you

Old 04-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
swedelandster
portfolio

Cant really see why its not a finished pic.
Looking good indeed

Old 04-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man,

I think the character is kind of cool and eye catching, but the presentation could use a little tweaking. It seems a little too off center, and the background makes no sense. Its also hard to read the eye with that large reflection you have. Try to move your head more to the middle, darken the background, and shrink the highlight on the eye.

-AJ

Old 04-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
owsleyw
Veteran

portfolio
William Owsley
Las Vegas, USA

Thank you for your feedback. The character is intentionally not perfectly centered as to kinda follow the rule of thirds. The background and highlight on the eye is also intentional as well to follow the mythology of the creature. Beholders stay underground and in dark places. The lighting in the background and the reflection on the eye shows that this one is by the underground entrance so light is spilling in. The reflection in the eye is the cave entrance. Again, thank you for your feedback. It is much appreciated.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Cool man. The description helps. To be honest, I wasn't picking up any of those things from your image. The background looks sort of like a large tree.

Could you maybe post a screen grab showing your entire scene with the character and environment? I think it might help to dramatically redesign your scene so you can better communicate your intentions that this thing is in a cave.

-AJ

Old 04-06-2013, 12:19 AM   #6
owsleyw
Veteran

portfolio
William Owsley
Las Vegas, USA

The intent is to show the detail in the character. The scenery around it wasn't important. Thats why there is depth of field. The image is about the beholder and not about were it is at. I put the beholder in a dark place with light coming in to show it. People who don't know about beholder may or may not get were he is. That was the only purpose of the environment. Kind of like when someone does a portrait and puts the character on a plain stone background. If I wanted it to be in a action scene, I would have modeled out a cave, treasures, bones etc... and had the beholder a lot smaller to include a lot more of the environment. As it stands right now, to me, it is a good representation of a Beholder coming into light.

Thank you again.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
jeffthomann
Art's a lifestyle...
portfolio
Jeff Thomann
Columbia, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1
Hey man,

I think the character is kind of cool and eye catching, but the presentation could use a little tweaking. It seems a little too off center, and the background makes no sense. Its also hard to read the eye with that large reflection you have. Try to move your head more to the middle, darken the background, and shrink the highlight on the eye.

-AJ

moving characters to the center of a frame brings attention to the frame many times more so than bringing the eye to study the image in the frame itself. Just something to think about. I do agree though background and foreground sort of merge together since textures are somewhat similar. Maybe put more shadows and lines in the background to differentiate it more. Chiaroscuro can make a huge difference in compositions sometimes. Maybe more highlights on the bark in the background or something?...

Old 04-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
Pyke
White Zulu

portfolio
Christopher Bischoff
Lead artist & game designer.
The Brotherhood
Johannesburg, South Africa

Send a message via MSN to Pyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by owsleyw
The intent is to show the detail in the character. The scenery around it wasn't important. Thats why there is depth of field. The image is about the beholder and not about were it is at. I put the beholder in a dark place with light coming in to show it. People who don't know about beholder may or may not get were he is. That was the only purpose of the environment. Kind of like when someone does a portrait and puts the character on a plain stone background. If I wanted it to be in a action scene, I would have modeled out a cave, treasures, bones etc... and had the beholder a lot smaller to include a lot more of the environment. As it stands right now, to me, it is a good representation of a Beholder coming into light.

Thank you again.

People are giving you advice on how to make the image seem more complete. Discarding those (very valid) pieces of advice with exposition and backstory is very counter productive to what you actually asked for in the thread-which is advice on how to improve the image, and get it up to 'finished' standards for the CGTalk gallery.

I really like the character, although it took me a bit of time to figure out exactly what I was looking at. I think that your light source could be moved even more to the side, to really show off the spherical nature of the character.

There is also an issue, in that he looks like he is floating. If he IS floating, there should be something that shows the means by which he is floating (wings, inflatable bladders, etc).
If he is attached to the rock face behind him, he needs some tentacles or...something that shows that he is tethered.

Personally, I think that the eye is waaaaaaaaay too shiny, and it makes it difficult on first glance to read it as an eye. It almost looks like a dolls glass eye.

The image itself, as just a rendering of a sculpt, is just that...a rendering of a sculpt. It should tell a story. Is this something that an explorer has discovered? Is it a tiny organism thats attached itself to a space suit? Is it just a friendly misunderstood monster? Is there a little girl thats found it and is trying to make this horrific creature her pet? There is a ton of potential to be visited here-as it stands, the piece feels like part of an incomplete puzzle.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a
Birmingham, United Kingdom

It's a character from Futurama. It is meant to be hovering. The setting should be an office or library since that is where this alien works. I don't have much to add that hasn't already been mentioned except that to me it looks like the alien has been generously drizzled with a mixture of golden syrup and muesli. It is hard to make out the main shapes underneath all that stuff. The eye is indeed very shiny, consider applying fall-off to the reflectivity. Also, seeing as how an eyeball is typically jelly-like and contains veins/capillaries, it might look more realistic if these veins perturb the reflection slightly at the corners of the eye as they tend to run just beneath the surface, over the sclera (white part of the eye). Exaggerating the thickness of these is a common way to make an eyeball look more "monstrous".

Old 04-08-2013, 07:31 AM   #10
triwa
portfolio
Tristan W.
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus
It's a character from Futurama. It is meant to be hovering. The setting should be an office or library since that is where this alien works.

actually it is from dungeons and dragons. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beholder
I just wanted to add that in, as I have nothing else to say that hasn't already been said about the main piece. It's a very nice sculpt and it looks pretty cool to me.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:42 AM   #11
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a
Birmingham, United Kingdom

That's where they must have got it from. I'm not old enough to know much about that game.
http://futurama.wikia.com/wiki/Beholder_Monster

Old 04-08-2013, 07:42 AM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread