J&D E-Bass

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
J&D E-Bass

Hello,

I am currently working on an E-Bass by J&D to get some modeling practice and add a piece to my portfolio.

Still have to add the strings and do some overall tweaking and detailing. Critique and feedback are very welcome.

04 April 2013
Hey man,

Great work! It looks really smooth and clean.

The only thing I see that might not hold up is the chrome knob. I think they make those by casting, and then chrome plating. The little bumps for the grip come out more as bumps, and not sharp groves. When you put your chrome shader on it, it might look a little sharp, as in you'll get sharp white highlights on the flat bits, and the grooves will be solid black. Unless you crank up your raytrace samples, it might look a bit messy in your render. I'm not sure how you could smooth it out because I cant see your edge loops, but there are several ways you could go about that.

-AJ

04 April 2013
Thank you. I had some problems modeling those knobs , I am using a displacement map now instead.

Some more progress.

04 April 2013
Put my Bass in a little attic scene and started out with materials and lighting.

04 April 2013
Encountered a little problem during mapping. I got some distortions at the seam after I applied the Meshsmooth/Turbosmooth modifier and "old style mapping" makes it even worse. Where did I go wrong? Help would be appreciated!

04 April 2013
Think I see what your problem is. An issue with uv seams and smoothing, it doesn't stretch out the new vertices it creates on the seams. You should be able to mitigate it by adding a bunch of edge loops along the long straight part of the neck so there is less difference in the length of the vertical edges.

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread