Uni Enviroment Project

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Uni Enviroment Project

Hey guys, this is my official first post on CgSociety! I'm currently in my first year of university studying computer arts. We have been given a task to create any 3d Environment of our choice.

I began researching and came across this great, vibrant concept art by Soeke Christian Siedel :

I really wanted to create a bright and colorful cartoon/painterly environment, with simple shapes and lighting but at the same time creating a great atmosphere. Other examples of inspiration i used and put in my sketchbook were from Bastion, Pedro Conti and David Smit.

So the environment I'm creating for this project is loosely based on this concept. As the brief stated "Research the work of an artist you admire, and use their work as a starting point". I began to block out my environment using basic shapes,moving, scaling and regularly rendering seeing if certain changes i made would look good. I would show you my drawn up concept but it is very basic and haven't scanned it in. Hopefully you will get the idea.

Here is what i got so far :

Old 03 March 2013   #2
For this project i am using Maya with Vray. At the moment i am quite happy with my basic lighting setup, which consists of a VraySphereLight that acts as a direct sun light with no decay turn on and a VrayLightDome that brightens the scene up and give me soft shadows.

What i really want to achieve is a much more interesting, colouful lighting setup with a painterly/fantasy (fluffy clouds) sky backdrop that pours colour into the scene from HDRI lighting. Obviously things will get more interesting when begin to texture things. As a new user to Vray it would be great if i could get help/feedback on how i'm approaching this.

Old 03 March 2013   #3
At the moment im working on some wooden supports that leads up to the house, as i realized how the hell does someone get up there? Have also added some minor props. Still loads to do!

Old 03 March 2013   #4
Looking great so far! I think the lighting is good for now. Youll notice that the lighting will change once you start adding textures and colour cause the colours will bounce around from GI.

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Not much has changed in terms of appearance apart from a few adjustments. I have Retopo'd the decimated rocks and Uv'ed most things and baked out normal maps. Im now going to jump into textures and materials, everything will be a painterly type style so texturing wont be major detailed. Hopefully everything will come together...

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Because time is an issue for handing all my other modules in. I have decided to continue focusing on modelling rather than textureing the entire scene. I'd love to give it a great clay render, alot like these by the awesome Jose Manuel Linares López

Old 04 April 2013   #7
So here is where i am at right now. I have given it a nice blue clay like material. i think it really works, need to tone things done a bit but tell me your thoughts. At the moment im just putting loads of other little objects in.

Old 04 April 2013   #8
I think the blue is distracting, but the overall the model is looking good.
The cartoon look of the original has a more pinched and deformed look, I would personally spend some time trying to capture some of that. Texturing and lighting should be relevantly straight forwards.

Old 04 April 2013   #9
Yeah, i defiantly think i could tone down the blue bit. I will also retreat back to the original lighting, will need to strengthen the direct light. Do you think having a plane clay render will look upto standard? The brief didn't specifically say you HAD to, as im having trouble trying to make sense of getting the colors work with each other. If someone, would do a lovely paintover id be honored..

Old 04 April 2013   #10
Hey man,

I really like the look and feel of the model! Great work so far.

My only complaint is the differing senses of scale you have though out your model. I would imagine that your house would be a single level. But based on that, your grass looks a little thick, and your barrels would be like 5 or 6 feet high. The fence seems too high, while your hand rail on the ramp seems too low. I think it might help to scale up the house and the windows that poke out of the hill too match the scale of the other objects in your scene. Or maybe if this place is supposed to be occupied by hobbits, you could scale down the details.

-AJ

Old 04 April 2013   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread