Honours Project: Female 3D Character

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Honours Project: Female 3D Character

Hi there! I'm a student who is pretty new to 3D and even newer at modelling characters and posting on CG forums so bear with me.

I'm a 4th year student at university, and for my honours project I aim to model a female character using Maya and Zbrush.

By posting on here I hope to gain constructive critique and feedback to put into my dissertation from all sorts of skilled 3D artists, from hobbyists to professionals.

The character pictures was modeled in Maya and I am hoping to gain feedback on the topology, form and other key elements which might be helpful when writing an evaluation

I am hoping to venture into character design for games and I have built this character with that in mind. Trying to keep the polycount low etc.

I will keep posting pictures of my progress.

Thanks a lot!

Hey, I am new on here so I am still getting used to how forums work, having never really used one before. I am a student in my 4th year at university, and for my honours project I am attempting to model and texture a car to look photorealistic.

I am hoping by putting up some WIP pics on here I will be able to get some helpful feedback from people who know about 3D matters.

Last edited by Cableton : 03 March 2013 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Posted wrong link for pictures

03 March 2013
No pictures

03 March 2013
You post the page link not the picture link

03 March 2013
Woops! Okay, original post has been fixed. Sorry about that,

03 March 2013
Accidental double post. Apologies.

Last edited by Cableton : 03 March 2013 at 03:51 PM.

03 March 2013
Update!

I've ran the model through ZBrush to create the high poly mesh with clothing sculpted onto the model. Overall I think it's okay for a first try except for the hair which is a bit meh.

Again any feedback and critisism anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated as it will beef up my dissertation.

Thanks a lot! =D

03 March 2013
I think you might want to take a step back and work on the Maya model more before you continue onto the sculpting, as I can see a lot of topology issues, specially around the head.(There's a lot of unfinished edge flow, and some stars triangles going on. You should try and make the geometry even so it flows well.

Have a look at this for an idea

Also the anatomy seems a bit off. Are you using references for this? If so can you post them. I think you'd benefit a lot having a solid base to sculpt upon and won't cause problems when creating your texture maps.

03 March 2013
I am in agreement with Ishimarushou about the topology, especially around the head. For 4th year Uni I would expect better. You should fix this before sculpting so as to avoid having to revisit the same problem at retopo time.
The flow image Ishimarushou posted is a good guide and probably similar to a standard one in any CG anatomy class.

03 March 2013
Agreement

The head topology does seem a little off.

03 March 2013
Hey guys, thanks for the constructive feedback!

I have since revisited the head to adjust the topology to correct the unfinished edge flows, triangles etc.

Ishimarushou, thanks for the pic you posted! I did use a reference for the head but the both that and the body were largely modeled following a tutorial on digital tutors which skipped some steps between videos (such as attaching the head and hands.) which is why, if you look to the hand, you will see an example of my less than spectacular attempt.

I will post updated pictures of the updated low poly mesh when I get a chance.

I should also mention that despite being a 4th year university student, only two modules in a 4 year course centered on character production. I am not enrolled in a fully 3D oriented course and this is only my second attempt at a full body character.

03 March 2013
Pictures of the updated mesh.
I am having trouble figuring out how to fix the mess of triangles shown in the top left / right picture so any advice you can provide would be grand!

Last edited by Cableton : 03 March 2013 at 07:48 PM.

03 March 2013
If you can provide larger images (As it's hard to see it clearly), we should be able to provide better guidance on how it can be fixed as you're obviously having some issues there with your topology. =]

03 March 2013
Here you go. Uploaded these as full resolutions screenshots so I hope they are easier to see than before.

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread