CGTalk > Work in Progress and Critique > WIP/Critique: 3D
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 09-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #46
ACantarel
Helicopter-Guy

portfolio
Andre Cantarel
CG Model Supervisor
santa Monica, USA

Lol wow you even do the screw thread in 3d? Haha great and nuts, I love it
You should give your final model to Mil so they can just print their helicopters instead of painstakingly assemble the whole thing out of thousands of parts!

Cheers
Andre

Old 10-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #47
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a
Birmingham, United Kingdom

André, if I can see a detail, i'll try to include it if i'm able. I kinda hate Mil at the moment for making this thing so weirdly.

Routing so many bevelled edges, maintaining all quad geometry is tricky. The topology for this made me cry. Still, if it exists, i'll model it. See if you can spot the tiny hole I drilled. Will add nuts and bolts next.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #48
cobra6
Expert

portfolio
Joep Peters
Modelling & Texture Artist
United Kingdom

This is going to be one insane model once complete!

You do realise it will take you months if not years to finish the model if you put this much detail in it, not?

Cobra 6
LinkedIn

Old 10-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #49
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra6
This is going to be one insane model once complete!

You do realise it will take you months if not years to finish the model if you put this much detail in it, not?

Cobra 6

Perhaps, but i'm working under the assumption that the more I make, the faster i'll get at modelling these awkward parts. Picture Neo at the beginning of the Matrix compared with how he was at the end of Revolutions. I happened upon blueprints of some key rotor parts after doing some research translating my search terms into Russian. Without those I may have kept it simpler than I did. Thanks

Old 10-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #50
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a

A tiny update really. I was trying to figure out how to model the lockwire/safety-wire that threads through the drilled bolt heads.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #51
ACantarel
Helicopter-Guy

portfolio
Andre Cantarel
CG Model Supervisor
santa Monica, USA

Wow the attention is nuts, i love it
How many polys does the entire part have in the last rendering?
A wire frame of the low poly cage would be interesting.

Cheers
Andre

Last edited by ACantarel : 10-11-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #52
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a

I was browsing the forums as I often do, and it hit me. There are far younger, far more successful people out there than i'll ever be. I've spent the better part of eight years trying to get a job in the industry and have achieved nothing. How many years more will I waste on this, still achieving nothing? There's only so much enjoyment you can get out of something you used to love before the stink of failure becomes overpowering. The big shots get all the kudos anyway. I'm posting a last couple of renderings so André can laugh at my slowly, crappily modelled topology which is so "crazy", and then i'll be taking a break from this thing. I'll be off the last page of the forum in a few days. I may come back to it some day but all these years have really killed off my youthful optimism and any motivation I once had. I really didn't want to be writing any of this and i'm sure people will judge me for it, but if you'd laboured for so long and had little or nothing to show for it, you might feel the same way. That's just the way I feel at the moment.

Well, seeya.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #53
kybel
>B<

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Lukas Hajka
Slovakia

ah, sorry to hear that. :/
i hope that success will eventually come your way,
and will light up your passion once again.

good luck man

Last edited by kybel : 10-23-2013 at 11:06 PM.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:03 AM   #54
Broken Leg Guy
Ed Gonzalez
USA

Telemachus,

I read your last post and I just laughed out loud, not because it's amusing but because I understand exactly where you are mentally. Your fondness will come back, it never really goes away....just hides for a while.

I'd really like to dive into it but because this isn't my main account, forgot my password and email associated with it, I can't pm you.

Good luck brother.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #55
pgajlewicz
Veteran

portfolio
Pawel Gajlewicz
Evermotion
Bialystok, Poland

Maybe a good idea for you would be to make "less detailes but more visible work"? I mean, to stop model all this invisible in final renders details like screw thread and start to work on things that will let you to finish you project?? As I can see you know how to model, that is good, but those crazy details make your project like "neverending story". You know, the rule for me is simple - if you can model exterior body of helicopter in good quality, you will be able to model screw's thread. I DO NOT HAVE TO SEE it. It is clear. But this screw will not help you to create amazing final renders, coz it will be invisible! So, why to model it, if your aim is to create goodlooking portfolio? The more it makes you abandon your project? Hope you get my point of view. It is hard for me to explain it since my english isn't good

And regarding Andre. Please note, that he is talented 3d artist with YEARS of experience in this industry. And what to more, he has got good portfolio already, so he can make crazy details in his free time, but despite this, even he does not do screw's threads!

All in all... sometimes less means more...
I believe in you!
my wip: Bell Uh-1

my work: Land Rover Defender in the forest

Old 10-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #56
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kybel
ah, sorry to hear that. :/
i hope that success will eventually come your way,
and will light up your passion once again.

good luck man

Frankly I think i'm just burned out. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgajlewicz
Maybe a good idea for you would be to make "less detailes but more visible work"? I mean, to stop model all this invisible in final renders details like screw thread and start to work on things that will let you to finish you project?? As I can see you know how to model, that is good, but those crazy details make your project like "neverending story". You know, the rule for me is simple - if you can model exterior body of helicopter in good quality, you will be able to model screw's thread. I DO NOT HAVE TO SEE it. It is clear. But this screw will not help you to create amazing final renders, coz it will be invisible! So, why to model it, if your aim is to create goodlooking portfolio? The more it makes you abandon your project? Hope you get my point of view. It is hard for me to explain it since my english isn't good

And regarding Andre. Please note, that he is talented 3d artist with YEARS of experience in this industry. And what to more, he has got good portfolio already, so he can make crazy details in his free time, but despite this, even he does not do screw's threads!

All in all... sometimes less means more...
I believe in you!

I was hoping to do some close-up renders of the more interesting mechanisms as well, so the detail isn't completely unnecessary. I take your point though. Obviously the more you try to take on, the longer it will take. In the past people have said my work wasn't accurate or detailed enough, so I guess I was trying to address those criticisms with this piece. If you show someone some work and then say "but I can do better than this, honest" there is a good chance they won't believe you, or they'll ask you why you didn't "do better" if you're really capable of it. If, however, you show someone an amazing piece, they'll see what you're really capable of. This is different if you have a lot of experience; people will already be aware of what you can do and so there is no doubt in their mind, but if you don't have that experience like me, then I feel compelled to go to an extreme level to show those people the limits of what I can do. I don't want people to say "that guy's modelling sucks".

I don't want my work to be wasted, so I will try to pick it up again in a while. Perhaps I will have to cut corners somewhere even though I feel dirty just saying that lol.

Thanks for the advice pgajlewicz, and don't worry, your english is fine.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #57
kybel
>B<

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Lukas Hajka
Slovakia

imho better workflow would be, blocking out the helicopter first and detail it gradually, that way you can also work on more parts at once, if you get tired of the rotor, you can move to the guns, or cockpit, or whatever.you will be also able pay more attention to visible parts of the bird. or you can recognize that this part is already detailed enough and move to something else, etc, that way it the work will feel more fresh and less tiresome imho.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #58
ACantarel
Helicopter-Guy

portfolio
Andre Cantarel
CG Model Supervisor
santa Monica, USA

Sad to hear you lost your motivation on this one and I can see why. Pgajlewicz wrote already kind of what I wanted to say. Your model is so high in detail that overall progress is very slow and therefor there's not "much to look at". I had those kinda problems as well on my models like the White House as well as the Mi-24. That's why I am cutting off details if they are too tiny and not visible. I know already what kinda close-ups I am going to render. Long lens (400mm +) shots of the front of the Mi-24 for example, that's why I put a lot of detail in that region. I cut off details inside the rear landing gear bay because I will barely see the inside. And if in one case there's a lack of details, those can be still added later.
"far more successful people out there than i'll ever be." - That is simply not true. You have a head, two arms and legs just like everyone else. I bet my horse on that you can get a start in a vfx company in 6 months if you do it right. You want to "over-insure" yourself in terms of modeling quality etc. With the parts you modeled you demonstrated already the following: Dedication - One of the very most important features someone can have, attention to detail - you can make sure that stuff like set extension fit to the real set and hard surface models are believable and have their correct scale, clean models - the edgeflow looks good on that part and there's nothing to laugh about (something I never do anyway).
So you have already the attributes that would make me hire you if I would own a company.
The only thing that is missing is the oh-cool-wow-effect. As clean and technical perfect your models are, work a bit on the presentation. I know technically it is unnecessary to make wip renders look nice but on personal projects that is fine! Because it's made for fun and good looking stuff is fun to look at. Also you can indicate to a certain extent that you have a taste for color palettes, lighting etc. Your wip renders are perfect for an engineering office.
So keep what you have, tone down the amount of details, plow through the rotor head in 2-3 days. If some parts have a groove and bolt less, who cares? It's all about the overall VISUAL impact of the final result! The engineers who developed that rotor head will never ever see your images anyway and even if... so what Try to think "good enough, move on to the next part". That's what you have to do in production anyway.
Also work on your website. Take one week, find a nice template (for free - thousands available - good stuff - easy to maintain), fill it with your content. The excavator for example can be rendered in a much nicer way. The model is great but the renders can be improved. Watch some basic vray videos on youtube about lighting and shading. I bet my horse again that with one week of learning and rendering, you can have 5 much nicer looking renders of it on your website.
Also in general, take a small vacation from the Mi-24. That will free up your mind of this gigantic task. I do that on a regular basis. I was tired of the chopper so one day I just made a radar dish or whatever. Even my White House was a vacation project. So pick a few smaller things you can knock out completely in 3-4 days. The fun will come back because you see results. Btw you can put those up on TurboSquid and earn some money on the side instead of letting them collect dust on the hard drive.
And last but not least: I don't know if you do this already but going to the gym really does free up your mind!
I'm happy to help you out with tips where I can, seriously.

Cheers
Andre

Old 10-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #59
MisterS
seeking knowledge

portfolio
David Spittle
Civil Design Drafter
Brisbane, Australia

I've been keeping an eye on this thread. Shame you're loosing motivation - I think many of us can relate to this.

Regarding motivation - I find it's good to have a couple of things on the go at once. Whether that's another personal project or some learning. If you're learning another skill that helps you reach your goal, one that you enjoy, then it might give you a better feeling that you're moving forward whilst still taking a break from a personal project.

And as Andre says, the gym can be good. I just ruined myself with shaun T's T25 workout lol!

Last edited by MisterS : 10-27-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:08 AM   #60
Solomon
wisdom seeker

portfolio
Solomon W. Jagwe
3D Artist/Animator
Alexandria, USA

Send a message via ICQ to Solomon Send a message via AIM to Solomon Send a message via MSN to Solomon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACantarel
Sad to hear you lost your motivation on this one and I can see why. Pgajlewicz wrote already kind of what I wanted to say. Your model is so high in detail that overall progress is very slow and therefor there's not "much to look at". I had those kinda problems as well on my models like the White House as well as the Mi-24. That's why I am cutting off details if they are too tiny and not visible. I know already what kinda close-ups I am going to render. Long lens (400mm +) shots of the front of the Mi-24 for example, that's why I put a lot of detail in that region. I cut off details inside the rear landing gear bay because I will barely see the inside. And if in one case there's a lack of details, those can be still added later.
"far more successful people out there than i'll ever be." - That is simply not true. You have a head, two arms and legs just like everyone else. I bet my horse on that you can get a start in a vfx company in 6 months if you do it right. You want to "over-insure" yourself in terms of modeling quality etc. With the parts you modeled you demonstrated already the following: Dedication - One of the very most important features someone can have, attention to detail - you can make sure that stuff like set extension fit to the real set and hard surface models are believable and have their correct scale, clean models - the edgeflow looks good on that part and there's nothing to laugh about (something I never do anyway).
So you have already the attributes that would make me hire you if I would own a company.
The only thing that is missing is the oh-cool-wow-effect. As clean and technical perfect your models are, work a bit on the presentation. I know technically it is unnecessary to make wip renders look nice but on personal projects that is fine! Because it's made for fun and good looking stuff is fun to look at. Also you can indicate to a certain extent that you have a taste for color palettes, lighting etc. Your wip renders are perfect for an engineering office.
So keep what you have, tone down the amount of details, plow through the rotor head in 2-3 days. If some parts have a groove and bolt less, who cares? It's all about the overall VISUAL impact of the final result! The engineers who developed that rotor head will never ever see your images anyway and even if... so what Try to think "good enough, move on to the next part". That's what you have to do in production anyway.
Also work on your website. Take one week, find a nice template (for free - thousands available - good stuff - easy to maintain), fill it with your content. The excavator for example can be rendered in a much nicer way. The model is great but the renders can be improved. Watch some basic vray videos on youtube about lighting and shading. I bet my horse again that with one week of learning and rendering, you can have 5 much nicer looking renders of it on your website.
Also in general, take a small vacation from the Mi-24. That will free up your mind of this gigantic task. I do that on a regular basis. I was tired of the chopper so one day I just made a radar dish or whatever. Even my White House was a vacation project. So pick a few smaller things you can knock out completely in 3-4 days. The fun will come back because you see results. Btw you can put those up on TurboSquid and earn some money on the side instead of letting them collect dust on the hard drive.
And last but not least: I don't know if you do this already but going to the gym really does free up your mind!
I'm happy to help you out with tips where I can, seriously.

Cheers
Andre

Andre, THANK YOU!! I know this was meant for someone else, but I too was blessed by the insight and the advice. Great morsels of wisdom.

@Telemachus ~ I too would add that, please don't give up. I worked in the defense industry for over 10 years, and there was always a need for detail, but we always had to find a way to make the deliverable. Above all, I had to make sure I had fun with every military model I created. Stay the course, you will be the happier for it. We are cheering you on

Solomon W. Jagwe
Soreel GraFX
http://www.sowl.com

reply share thread