Old 03-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a
Birmingham, United Kingdom

ATE SuperHind Mk.III / Mil Mi-24

Hi there. Although i've been around here for a long time I haven't posted much. As a brief introduction, I'm a self-taught British 3D modeller who has been trying to get into the 3D industry for the last seven years. I keep modelling because I enjoy it so much and I like challenging myself.

I was really inspired by Cantarel's Pave Hawk helicopter several years ago and wanted to make my own, and in 2008 finally made a start on it. I didn't get too far, and by the time I got back to it my improved skills justified starting from scratch. I've been dabbling with it these last few years and hope to ramp up my progress this year - call it something of a New Years' resolution.

The helicopter I chose was the ATE SuperHind Mk. III. I chose it because the reference for it is sparse and would therefore be a big challenge. This helicopter is ugly but beautiful and has a lot of character. It is based on the Mi-24 Hind D and shares perhaps 90% of the features, but is faster and lighter with improved weaponry and avionics. Since the two machines are so similar I figured I would try to make both. It would add value to the final model to be able to repurpose it by swapping a few parts around.

I spent a long time on the body, just trying to get the basic shapes right. This is very hard on this helicopter because of the odd angles, asymmetry and the strange cockpit. After feeling comfortable with the overall shape I went on to the wing-pylons which were relatively easy compared to the more organic surfaces. My aim is to be as accurate as possible so I research, analyse and calculate a lot before I feel satisfied with a decision, which slows progress but saves having to back-track and fix something later on. Details in a model can be impressive to the casual observer but are of little value if they are wrong; studying this chopper since 2008 I am very familiar with it even without having first-hand experience. I'm only able to use Internet-sourced references for this.

Most of my progress from 2008 is by now primitive looking, but the first thing i'll upload is my progress between then and now on a weapons pylon. Bear in mind the first image is from when I was working on the SuperHind first, while with the latter I am building parts of the Mi24 first.

Ultimate goals? Apart from finishing this to the best of my ability i'd like to get some exposure here so I can have ultimately find a job that makes me happy, and hopefully someday be able to work in the US where I can be closer to friends i've made over the years. I should point out that this is my first attempt at an aircraft so expect to be underwhelmed.

Click images to enlarge.

(From 2008: Not sure what possessed me to create the entire wing and those two vertical parts as a single Sub-D mesh, but I did anyway, wasting a lot of time in the process)

(From 2012: Upgraded my machine after seven years enabling me to render larger)

Old 03-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man!

Nice work! I've been working on a model for several years now myself, so I understand the feeling of truly wanting to master a subject. Andres work was an inspiration to me as well. His attention to detail inspired me to further push the detail in my own models. Instead of trying to figure out what details I would add and which ones I wouldn't, I just started modelling everything outright with an uncompromising level of detail.

-AJ

Old 03-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
Quartermaster
Veteran

portfolio
We're on a mission
from God (to las Vegas)
USA

FANTASTIC work. The recessed screws must have taken an incredible amount of time to map out after subdivision. Looks amazing.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
xtrm3d
'' polygon pimp ''

portfolio
christophe desse
Technical Artist
naughty dog
santa Monica, USA

Send a message via ICQ to xtrm3d

really nice attention to details !!

Old 03-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1
Hey man!

Nice work! I've been working on a model for several years now myself, so I understand the feeling of truly wanting to master a subject. Andres work was an inspiration to me as well. His attention to detail inspired me to further push the detail in my own models. Instead of trying to figure out what details I would add and which ones I wouldn't, I just started modelling everything outright with an uncompromising level of detail.

-AJ

Thanks. I figured, i've been trying to get somewhere in this field for so long that I should aim as high as I can to really push myself. It's no use aiming to be average or just good enough, and if this forum teaches you anything it's that you shouldn't get depressed at seeing how good other people are, but consider how you too could be doing the same great work if you just put in enough effort. That's why I don't really understand some of these "my work was rejected" threads. I used to be that way myself years ago but eventually I started to see great work as a challenge rather than an unbeatable standard. All that matters is how much you want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartermaster
FANTASTIC work. The recessed screws must have taken an incredible amount of time to map out after subdivision. Looks amazing.

Thanks. Actually it wasn't too hard. As I was modelling parts requiring Sub-D I realised that I could easily add the extra details without much trouble. Just a few extra carefully placed loops and I had been able to include small deformations in to the thin metal sheets. Adding recesses for screws on the non-sub-D parts was harder, but at least most of those were on flat surfaces. I'm working on the rocket pods now and they require recesses on concave surfaces which is a bit of a headache, or it was until I figured it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrm3d
really nice attention to details !!

Thanks. The more I study a part of the helicopter the more afraid I get that i'll miss something out, sometimes forgetting that from a distance it might not even be a visible detail. I want to be able to render very large though so for my own peace of mind (and perhaps OCD) I add as much as I can. It's a personal project so I don't mind going to extremes with it.

I'm still working on the rocket pod. Finding new resources sometimes means you have to revise assumptions as to how something is built but I know it inside out now, so should be decent when it's done.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:09 PM   #6
ACantarel
Helicopter-Guy

portfolio
Andre Cantarel
CG Model Supervisor
santa Monica, USA

Wow amazing! And awesome we have another high res Mi-24 here
The level of detail is nuts haha, I love it! Are you planning on texturing it as well? UVs will be fun I can tell :P I am spending so much time on mine with those things... Can;t wait for my time off to go full steam on that bird again. AndI am really happy to hear my older work inspired you!

Simply amazing, can't wait to see further progress!

Cheers
Andre

Old 03-19-2013, 11:47 PM   #7
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACantarel
Wow amazing! And awesome we have another high res Mi-24 here
The level of detail is nuts haha, I love it! Are you planning on texturing it as well? UVs will be fun I can tell :P I am spending so much time on mine with those things... Can;t wait for my time off to go full steam on that bird again. AndI am really happy to hear my older work inspired you!

Simply amazing, can't wait to see further progress!

Cheers
Andre

Ha! Thanks André. I try not to think about UVs - I say to myself "I'll cross that bridge when I come to it". That way I don't have nightmares.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a

Just a small update. I have been working on the rocket pods, and as is often the case a task that appears simple is in fact quite complex. Countersinking screws into curved surfaces was tricky enough but then I had to tackle the rear of the pod which was a myriad of elaborate punched sheets and rolled metal. Fortunately, aside from the brackets at the top of the pod (which are relatively trivial to model compared to the rest) everything is done. By my reckoning, based on what is admittedly sketchy reference material, I don't think i've missed anything out. I would like to add that if anyone has any questions on how I modelled parts of this I don't mind the occasional question, assuming I can remember the method. Anyway, pictures.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #9
Artdigital
3d Enthusiast
portfolio
Danny Robinson
London, United Kingdom

ABSOLUTELY INSANE DETAIL... Wires please!!!

Old 05-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
ACantarel
Helicopter-Guy

portfolio
Andre Cantarel
CG Model Supervisor
santa Monica, USA

You are crazy (in a good way!)
Nice details! Are you going to bevel the edges on the holes in the metal?
Seeing the rocket pod reminds me of doing the UVs a while ago... ugh

Cheers
Andre

Old 05-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #11
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACantarel
You are crazy (in a good way!)
Nice details! Are you going to bevel the edges on the holes in the metal?
Seeing the rocket pod reminds me of doing the UVs a while ago... ugh

Cheers
Andre

Thanks. I could bevel them but i've deliberately left out edges that I believe were drilled or punched and therefore wouldn't have a bevel in real life. I try to think about how each part was made in the factory (press brakes for folding, drill presses etc) in order to figure out what it should look like if there isn't enough reference to make a quick decision. Multiple layers of paint might create the appearance of there being a bevel due to the way paint clings to edges (surface tension) but on a well maintained and relatively new machine I am assuming there wouldn't be many layers, leaving the edge clean and sharp. Newer reference I collected from maintenance crews working on Afghan Mi-24s seems to confirm this theory.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #12
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artdigital
ABSOLUTELY INSANE DETAIL... Wires please!!!

Sorry for the late response. I've been brushing up on my Visual C++ knowledge lately and it's taking up much of my time. The mesh is perhaps a little denser in places than it has to be but I am reusing certain parts i've already built for other areas to save a little bit of time; this especially applies to nuts and bolts and other fittings. If I can see it, i'll model it.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #13
MisterS
seeking knowledge

portfolio
David Spittle
Civil Design Drafter
Brisbane, Australia

This is pretty damn sick. I like the detail. And regarding your first post I'm in the same boat as you mate, trying to progress - good luck and nice work man!

Old 06-07-2013, 11:17 PM   #14
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a

Thanks MisterS.

I've finally finished the rocket pods and to check out how they look, have moved them into position on the pylon. In my original attempt years ago I had one rocket pod and one fuel tank so I think I might do that again here. The external fuel tank looks like a bomb and is very long (you can see it on the very first image in the thread that shows the old work).

The gold wavy thing that looks like a ninja turtle knuckle-duster is some kind of attachment mechanism. I suspect that Soviet-era weapons modules have a panoply of different connectors on them to allow them to be fitted to all kinds of aircraft such as fighters, tanks and helicopters. Made some parts bronze-coloured to help make them easier to see against the black.

It's really hot over here now; finding it hard to concentrate lol.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:57 PM   #15
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a

In case anyone's interested here's a wireframe render I made last week but neglected to upload.

reply share thread