Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-10-2013, 02:29 AM   #1
Goffskullz
Frequenter

portfolio
Evan Smith
Mississauga, Canada

First Female Character (slight nudity)

While I've done some male anatomy study in the past and at the time I got sort of okay with that, but my organics/anatomy hasn't gotten too strong. I decided to start a female body mesh (I'd be lying if I said it wasn't because one of the extras for Tomb Raider was Lara's character sheet, which kind of comes in handy for roughing stuff out...).

CC is always appreciated (and kind of why I post here in the first place of course), Thanks.

sort of a progression shot:

Current Progress:

Old 03-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
Numptus1
Lord of Camo
Andrew March
Weston, United Kingdom

What is it with this bloody forum and pictures not showing at the moment!

Old 03-11-2013, 04:07 AM   #3
Goffskullz
Frequenter

portfolio
Evan Smith
Mississauga, Canada

I wish I could answer your question. I haven't had a problem with it at all.

Okay, This is approximately the level of subdivision I want before I add anymore geometry for details. (save about 3 loops to even things out). I've settled on what I'm going to do with this in the immediate future, add the hands/feet/head geo at this level of subdivision, and then poly model it at 1 more level of subdivision. I'm pretty dead set on not bringing this into zbrush to get any of the main form features smaller than about 1 to 2 centimeters, because if I do anything with this mesh, it'll likely be wearing clothes so a lot of it won't need very minor surface details.

Anyway... I'm really not sure where to go with the mesh now. I KNOW I can get more accurate forms with this level of geometry, I've just never taken a human mesh any farther than this in a poly modelling program, and even then, I've only ever done muscular men, where the details added are significantly more pronounced than with a girl character like this.

So for now, unless somebody wants to point me in a specific direction, I suppose I'm just going to start the mesh one body part at a time, and then get to adding a head/hands/feet.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
Numptus1
Lord of Camo
Andrew March
Weston, United Kingdom

I'm sure someone would love to help you but your images aren't showing.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
Goffskullz
Frequenter

portfolio
Evan Smith
Mississauga, Canada

I really don't know what the problem is. It shows up for me when I'm not logged in, and over different browsers.

Just try these links from the last post I suppose. I haven't posted here in a long time. I used to use imageshack and everything was fine, is there a known problem with linking pictures from imgur?

http://i.imgur.com/NvqGn4W.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/vKp3K1T.jpg

Old 03-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

I can see the pictures. I can only assume any issues are to do with the host, not this site.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:03 AM   #7
Goffskullz
Frequenter

portfolio
Evan Smith
Mississauga, Canada

@Leigh Thanks. Until Further notice I'm just going to pretend everything is fine.

Today, I added some hands, as well as reworking the shoulder poly flow and tweaking the arms quite a bit. I'm starting to be happy with the shoulder/bicep area at least. Also added some shoulder blade definition and how the spine dips in is more accurate now.

One of my main concerns is with the arms right now, I feel like the forearms are too thin, but I can't seem to make them any bigger without feeling like she looks like Popeye.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #8
ChunkyMooseBits

portfolio
USA

It's hard to tell, only looking at it from an angle, but for a woman the shoulders look a bit broad. Men and women are kind of built opposite of each other as far as torsos go. Men have wider shoulders and more narrow hips while women have narrow shoulders and wider hips.

Looks pretty good though.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #9
Numptus1
Lord of Camo
Andrew March
Weston, United Kingdom

I can see the pics if you put links but not if you embed them, so it must be something to do with the embedding.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:40 PM   #10
olivierth
Looking for work

portfolio
Olivier Thériault
Modeler looking for work
Montreal, Canada

Nice start Goffskullz!

I have some comments since I see you'll be getting into zbrush soon. I know you're not done with the topology but, you might want to get more square polygons throughout the whole character. Also, no need to get the silhouette perfect before getting into ZBrush. You can always do all the changes after that. I often start with super weird proportions but a very clean mesh in max.

If you want comments on the proportions, I think the shoulders are to wide. The legs might be too long but it's hard to tell without the head.

Here's an example of topology. It's not perfect but it illustrates the square polygons.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #11
Daenvan
Veteran

portfolio
David
Huntsville, USA

Like what was stated, its great work. I have always found its easier to have a good flow and off looking proportions because its easier to add in polys then it is to take them out. Its awesome though for a first time female.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread