CGTalk > Work in Progress and Critique > WIP/Critique: 3D
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
viledeacon
Veteran

portfolio
Mark Rajchel
3d generalist
the Art institute of Philadelphia
Philadelphia, USA

My demo Reel

Hello. My post today is my final demo reel. I still have to go through a review tomorrow, but I figured I'd post it anyways and see what you great artists think. Let me know and thank you for taking a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYij_UlYsv4

p.s. I didnt see a way to link video to my online portfolio. Am I missing something?

Old 03-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Not sure what kind of role you're after with this. The models seem fairly low-poly so perhaps you're interested in a position at a games company? I am not sure. If I had to comment on anything in particular that stood out (apart from the music - eek) it would be that the lighting seems very flat and clinical and really doesn't make the models look good.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
viledeacon
Veteran

portfolio
Mark Rajchel
3d generalist
Philadelphia, USA

Hey.
Thank you for the crit and the response. I actually am looking to getting into the video game industry. Any tips on how i can lean my demo reel in that direction? Also noted on the lighting.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:00 AM   #4
riyazgomes
Frequenter

Dimension-Z Studios
India

Hi Mark,

Im going to have to say that your reel looks pretty standard and lacks the oomph factor. Here are a couple of changes I would have liked to make:

1. The 1st scene looked fairly nice however the monkey animation was weak and ruined the shot for me.

2. I found the camera turntable animations fairly standard and would have liked to see more creative angles.

3. I felt most of the work showed a lack of game techniques...Normal maps, Opacity Maps were missing

4. A lot of the projects felt too small to be included in a showreel

5. A lot of improvement needs to go into your texturing skills...your textures lacked detail.

6. Some parts of your work seemed very high-poly (towel) while the rest was very low-poly.

Thats all I can think of right now.

Hope it helps
http://www.dimension-z.net

Old 03-08-2013, 05:05 AM   #5
viledeacon
Veteran

portfolio
Mark Rajchel
3d generalist
Philadelphia, USA

Hey riyazgomes

Thank you for your honest crit of my work. I will take it into consideration and re post once I've made revisions.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
viledeacon
Veteran

portfolio
Mark Rajchel
3d generalist
Philadelphia, USA

My level of frustration with my own work has grown more today my friends.

I went to my portfolio review fully expecting to collect a long list of things i needed to fix, but this was not the case. After watching the video and talking among st themselves for only 10 minutes they called me back into the room. The only two comments they had for me was that the turn around needed to be shorter (specifically the Tesla plane) and the second being the sky in the barn scene looks like it has a line through it. With that they told me i was receiving a grade of C, but that if i fixed those two things it would be a B easily.

To reiterate, according to them, there was only two things wrong with my reel and upon fixing them i wouldn't have an A. I don't buy it. There is way more that i need to fix with this reel and my own damn teachers either don't have the balls to tell me or just don't care.

The other part that upset me was that a student who got an A on his review had the teachers watching his reel for 20 minutes and then they talked with him for another half hour, so what am i missing here.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #7
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by viledeacon
......To reiterate, according to them, there was only two things wrong with my reel and upon fixing them i wouldn't have an A. I don't buy it. There is way more that i need to fix with this reel and my own damn teachers either don't have the balls to tell me or just don't care.......

You might have been lucky and just don't now it. If they had spotted all the things you thought needed fixing, you might have got lower than a C. Some clouds do have silver linings you know.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #8
viledeacon
Veteran

portfolio
Mark Rajchel
3d generalist
Philadelphia, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillster
You might have been lucky and just don't now it. If they had spotted all the things you thought needed fixing, you might have got lower than a C. Some clouds do have silver linings you know.

I am thankful for that, though I think i would rather them tell me what is wrong or what could be improved so i can grow as an artist.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:23 AM   #9
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
I get your frustration but I also sense you are counting on golden answers to up your quality. I think what you need is plenty of practice and you also need to look very hard at the best work you can find and analyze it yourself as well. Dont think the world owes you success otherwise you wont ever get it in this area. Be open to criticism and advice and give your teachers the impression that you are listening to them.

You are not getting much visual effect from your models. I noticed your wires showed too little polys where it was needed and way too many where it wasnt needed. The lighting, composition, model design everything contributes to this.

check it
This guy

This guy

Hope this helps.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:14 AM   #10
chien
artist in the making

portfolio
Chien Yih Tham
Student
The One Academy, Lifeway College
Subang Jaya, Malaysia

viledeacon : hi i just seen your reel, don't worry it's not relly that bad, i feel your modeling is fine, you have the rough idea how things look like but maybe can use guidance and abit of refference help you get the final result, after all it's final result that is more important. i can understand if not many people can explain properly how to help you improve, so communication is also very important.

if you serious on want to improve your reel, can look at others people reel too, I do that often to see myself what I am lacking.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:10 AM   #11
riyazgomes
Frequenter

Dimension-Z Studios
India

I really hate this system of grading students, I believe the grade reflects their quality of education and failure to properly guide you. Instead of grading you, they should have helped and guided you to make the best possible showreel.

Anyways, dont be disheartened...the grades really mean nothing....If you want a quick fix to get a much better grade...work on the presentation....you would'nt believe the amount of difference an awesome presentation can make....try to get in better camera angles and more dynamic shots....play with the timing and make it interesting by speeding up and slowing the animation at strategic spots.

You may want to try using marmoset toolbag for a quick realtime solution rather than re-rendering the work.

Hope it helps.

Riyaz Gomes
Studio Director
Dimension-Z Studios - Professional Training for the Artist
http://www.dimension-z.net
https://www.facebook.com/DZ.Studios

Old 03-12-2013, 01:40 AM   #12
viledeacon
Veteran

portfolio
Mark Rajchel
3d generalist
Philadelphia, USA

Thank you again for all your responces. I wasnt expecting anymore after the thread started going down.

Also sorry if i gave a bad impression of myself. I was angry the day of my review that my teachers didnt take it a step further than they did.

@Kango, this helps a lot actually. I appreciate you taking the time. The guys work you linked me is amazing. Im a fan of the whole urban destruction and nature overtaking cities and the like. Ill work on cooling my head off and just focusing instead of hoping people will give me the answers to my problems.

@chien I will work on gathering more reference for my projects and adding more details. I think you are right, i get a general idea of what im making, but need to take it a step further. Detail is what makes something interesting right

@riyazgomes My thoughts exactly. Its why I was angry in the first place. That was what i was hoping for in my reel review, guidence to make it as good as i could for the demo show next week. Grades are only momentary, but my reel will be with me forever (and forever improving)

I will check out marmoset and see what it can do for me. Also looking at it now, you are right about the camera work. its pretty bland and could use some work. It all needs work.

Thanks everyone.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:35 AM   #13
rZukoff
Veteran

portfolio
Ryan Zukoff
Pipeline TD
Los Angeles, USA

Hey man,

I agree with the above poster grades do really mean nothing in this industry. Best to more or less forget about them. On top of what has already been said, your turn table for the bull dozer/ second piece is off center. It turns and slides from side to side. Presentation is key, it should be centered and remain centered.

Keep working man, you'll get there,
-Ryan

Old 03-12-2013, 03:37 AM   #14
viledeacon
Veteran

portfolio
Mark Rajchel
3d generalist
Philadelphia, USA

I thought it was funny they didn't even say anything about that in the review, the turntable thing. Thanks Ryan, will do

Old 03-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #15
viledeacon
Veteran

portfolio
Mark Rajchel
3d generalist
Philadelphia, USA

Im having a problem with one of the scenes in my reel. The farm scene has a sky map and then planes surrounding the house. planes have alphas on them and they work fine, but i can see the edges of the planes. help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg problem.jpg (41.9 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by viledeacon : 03-13-2013 at 05:35 PM.

Thread Closed share thread