Coonan .357 Mag (WIP)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Coonan .357 Mag (WIP)

Hello everyone,

Just wanting some critiques on my first handgun model I have been working on, before I start going into the texturing and lighting phase of this project. Included are some references and still images of the gun. Any feedback is greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Last edited by rwasher : 03 March 2013 at 04:07 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #2

Last edited by rwasher : 03 March 2013 at 04:05 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #3

Old 03 March 2013   #4
Hey man,

Nice work! This looks pretty darn good!

Did you line up your proportions based on photographs that you took?
Could you post a few wireframes?

I think you might have some proportion issues, but its almost impossible to judge with the inconsistent perspective between your reference images and your renders. It would help if you retook your reference photos with less perspective (move further away and zoom in), and render your model from the same angles.

Another major issue I'm seeing is the tolerance between the various components seems to tight. For example, your grip safety appears to be extruded right out of the grip, while in your real firearm, that part has a good mm of tolerance.

You've also got some inconstancies with your bevels, but we would need to see some wireframes to help with that.

-AJ

Old 03 March 2013   #5
Sharp piece of work. I've always been a 1911 guy myself, carried a Sig .45ACP a while back.

The teeth on the top of the hammer are a little too soft -edged (the weapon's hammer is fairly sharp edged in machining though not razor sharp) and like AJ said the grip safety is a little too snug in the frame though thats a very easy fix. Never handled a Coonan but I have a hunch it's like most American 1911s in that it's fairly loose overall in terms of component fitment.

Beautiful piece and excellent subject, keep this updated I'd love to see how you resolve some of the metallic texture, I struggle with textures such as this where I need a metallic reflective surface, but a soft, defocused reflection.

Old 03 March 2013   #6
Nicely done , very clean bake .

if this is an FPS gun i dont think little disproportions would be noticed so i dont think you should worry that much

Old 03 March 2013   #7
very nice clean bake , i dont think u should be too worried bout proportions if this is an FPS gun model a little off proportions shouldnt be a problem

Old 03 March 2013   #8
AJ- Since I do not own this gun, I had to get my references images from the internet. So, I cannot retake the photographs. I wish I could because that would have made modeling this gun so much easier. But I can provide you with wireframes.

Old 03 March 2013   #9
Also, I worked on the spacing for the grip safety and worked on the width of the overall gun. I "slimmed" it down. It was a slightly too wide compared to the references.

Old 03 March 2013   #10
Looking great.

As a lifetime 1911 owner myself this gets two thumbs up from me!

Old 04 April 2013   #11
Finally finished unwrapping the model and am moving on to textures. I will have the renders out soon.

Last edited by rwasher : 04 April 2013 at 07:47 AM.

Old 04 April 2013   #12
Updated Renders.

Last edited by rwasher : 04 April 2013 at 08:20 AM.

Old 04 April 2013   #13
Adjusted the brushed metal on the slide action. Originally it looked too dull.

Old 04 April 2013   #14
Uopdated the specularity on the handgun.

Old 05 May 2013   #15
Went ahead and added some .357 Magnum bullets to the scene.

Thread Closed share thread