Sci-Fi/Futuristic Planetary Defense

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #16
very good modelling!

Old 03 March 2013   #17
While rendering and rendering, and testing and testing, i decided doing some composition to see how it would really start looking like with the depth pass and the bluring, color correction, and all this stuff, this is where i got to so far

So much to do yet, i need to finish the texturing, i want to give the mountain its material, i want to change the direction of the turret in the back, and give them both some action and sense !!

critiques, of course, very welcome. Hope you like it.

Old 03 March 2013   #18
Worked mainly on the mountain. And i want to add a character if possible in the point closer to camera just to give this a bit more live and action. I will now start texturing the tubes and everything missing it. Next point: changing the turret direction.

Old 03 March 2013   #19
You should reconsider your composition.. The eye focusses on the middle turret, and moves on in the direction of that turret. However this area is very dark. Also the right side should be a lot less bright, it demands too much attention

Old 03 March 2013   #20
Thanks for your comment Zenopelgrims. I agree with the critique. Also consider that this won't be the final color correction, neither the illumination. As i mentioned, i will try to make a little scene in the main focus, with its own ligthing and all, which is where i want it to be the focus point.

As you can see, the light emiters that i worked on are very darkened for this render, i am working on that right now, as well as the mountain illumination.
Thanks for the comment !

Old 03 March 2013   #21
Ok so here i leave this very rough and fast correction of what i am heading to from now on. Hope you understand what i try to get.

Old 03 March 2013   #22
Since i got to the rendering part of the scene, i take long to update, mostly because my personal computer isn't that fast and i just need to be patient

I am right now rendering some passes with updates.

Old 03 March 2013   #23

Old 03 March 2013   #24
Hey man,

Are you trying to mimic a depth of field effect with your composition?

Do you have any photography experience? I'm not trying to sound condescending, but it might help if you got a hold of a SLR and took some photos with it. There isn't a lens that could produce the type of blur that you have shown, and it looks very unnatural.

-AJ

Old 03 March 2013   #25
Thanks for the comment, AJ. Actually i don't have any deep photography experience. But that was very helpful.

Old 03 March 2013   #26
I am not sure about "the thing" building on the left.
It somehow closes the picture in unpleasant and claustrophobic way, and it looks like it's possible that those turrets hit that wall (I know it's closer, but at the first sigh it looks like that). Maybe it's better to put some rock in there, and open the space on the left.

if you go with the snow, you should have it on the mechanical parts also, and some direct light (even very diffused (from sun covered with clouds) could bring more shape on those turrets.
Also, you could put some fog to make this scene much larger.

Keep up the work.

Old 03 March 2013   #27
Thanks for your help d4rk3lf. You where completely right about the "thing" on the left. It was actually supposed to be the main focus of the scene, with something going on there, but it is already eliminated

About the Fog i can tell i really tried rendering Atmospheric Fog in Maya but it takes ages and i don't really get the effect i want. I would try to do some Mist effect in Affter Effects, and i also think the scene needs to be more grey-looking right? what do you people think.

Old 03 March 2013   #28

Old 03 March 2013   #29
Originally Posted by Seehr: About the Fog i can tell i really tried rendering Atmospheric Fog in Maya but it takes ages and i don't really get the effect i want. I would try to do some Mist effect in Affter Effects, and i also think the scene needs to be more grey-looking right? what do you people think.

- Try to render rpf or rla file from maya with Z-depth on.
- Import that RPF or RLA in After effects, and then give it: "3D channel extract" from effects.
- Adjust your Z-depth (make a gradient from pure black to pure white that are going through all scene (near and far))
- Precompose that layer, and turn it's visibility off (we will just use it for the fog)
- Import your normal render on top of it (that could be also that RPF), and give it a "Fog3D" effects.
- In Fog3D parameters, go to gradient layer and select your precomposed layer that we just made
- Play with the Fog settings (start and end depth, fog color, opacity) to get whatever fog you like.

Old 03 March 2013   #30
d4ark3lf that was again very very helpful. thanks for keeping an eye in my project.

i want to make some final touches to the lights, something like flares or i don't know, giving them more life. Any suggestions?

Thread Closed share thread