Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-28-2013, 12:01 AM   #1
Hatoboreka

portfolio
Ehsen sonny
Student
United Kingdom

Talking 1st Post! Uni project, Please be harsh!

Hey everyone! I'm sonny, 18 and I have about a year of experience in modelling.
This is my 2nd uni project, its an animation assignment, but we were given creative freedom! So I decided to make a huge futuristic city.

The animation is a basic camera moment from bottom to top and then a birds eye view of the city rotating to generate power its own power. The city/country is in solitude and the only humans that have survived the "Invasion" (Mate paintings of alien eggs all over the earth!)

I have taken on allot more than I can handle, the deadline is in 5 weeks and I'm unhappy with what I have so far, please go ape shit, but please tell me what I'm missing! To me it feels really empty, I still have a few pieces to model on the right wall Also I'm new to Maya and I have no clue as to how I am going to get a realistic render, that's my final aim and I'll do anything to get there just need some critique! Thanks!

Last edited by Hatoboreka : 03-01-2013 at 10:00 AM.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
mindgoo
Freelance 3D Illustrator

portfolio
Jon Tuttle
Knightfall 3D
Hatfield, United%2BKingdom

Send a message via MSN to mindgoo
Hi,

Firstly, I like the overall style, good and chaotic. I think what it is lacking is a sense of scale - this looks like a foreground element. To really sell the idea that it is huge, this corridor should potentially stretch on into the distance. Alternatively, to make this look like an alley in the city you could have buildings facing you across a divide, with vehicles / traffic / flying stuff moving from left to right.

Build a few different types of buildings and use instances of them to fill out the space. If they are in the background they don't need a lot of modelled detail, as you can cheat that with textures and it won't make much difference.

Have a look at the New York section of the film Fifth Element and Coruscant in the Star Wars prequels for references of a really big city.

As for realistic rendering, you can add a lot of detail with textures, rather than model everything as this will keep your render times down.

Hope this helps!

Jon.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Hatoboreka

portfolio
Ehsen sonny
Student
United Kingdom

Yay someone replied :3 I am modeling a spaceship at the moment that flies through the alley way...as for the buildings and such I know exactly what you mean and I have that planned out for the next bit I will model.

What I really need help with at the moment is what yype of lighting do I use? I know in 3ds max I used mental ray lights with proxy gates...but here in maya the only light I know is the sun and sky and it typcally scks, or mabe Im not sing it right xD

But Thanks allot for the critique really apreciate it man!

Old 03-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man,

That's defiantly a pretty ambitious project for just 5 weeks. Have you thought about going a more stylized route? What you have so far kind of looks like something from an animé film. Have you played around with mixing simple 3D illustrations with your 3D models?

-AJ

Old 03-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
Hatoboreka

portfolio
Ehsen sonny
Student
United Kingdom

Woha! animé film!? I was aiming for something completely opposite to be honest....I guess it just looks that way because of the PNG render xD Once the textures are on I'm hoping it will look more realistic, the only problem as I mentioned earlier is lightning. In my mind I can accumulate allot of small lights and since light is additive, I'm hoping git can light up the whole scene. Problem is I can only use sun and sky :(

Old 03-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread