Sketchbook of Zeno Pelgrims

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 03 March 2013   #16
I think the only problem with the old guy may be the proportions and the shader in nose, which is one of the points that one automatically looks at.

The shaders and textures are very worked though.
Did you modeled it in Max/Maya/C4D/Light or some other Software and then took it to ZB or how was the Pipeline.

Old 03 March 2013   #17
Originally Posted by Dillster: Unhappy meals probably.

Looking forward to updates. Also please include details like software used and anything else you think useful.

The base meshes will all be modelled inside of maya (my package of choice - would like to try out 3ds as well but i'm on a mac.. :( ). Details will be sculpted in zbrush, and everything will probably be rendered in vray.

Old 03 March 2013   #18
Originally Posted by Seehr: I think the only problem with the old guy may be the proportions and the shader in nose, which is one of the points that one automatically looks at.

The shaders and textures are very worked though.
Did you modeled it in Max/Maya/C4D/Light or some other Software and then took it to ZB or how was the Pipeline.

Thanks for the feedback! So if the proportions are incorrect, what would you change? You are right about the nose as well, he still needed a spec map, that would fix a lot..

Software is zbrush to maya. Most of the time i start with a pre-modelled base mesh. It's really simple - almost like a box with 3 holes in it. This is just for saving some time

Old 03 March 2013   #19
Not really a big update, but I just wanted to post something . Working on the shoes at the moment, can't seem to get them right bleh.

Old 03 March 2013   #20
Worked a bit on the shoes and uv'd all the objects. Now it's time to add the details, and start texturing! Any feedback?

Old 03 March 2013   #21
Did a little bit of texturing and set up the SSS skin material. I always had problems with uv'ing things, but now i found this piece of software "Headus UVlayout". It seems to be the key - everyone uses it haha. ..And it's free!

I'm starting to like the character . Can't wait to texture him further. I've also have to think about a name.. Should be something french. Suggestions?

Old 03 March 2013   #22
Textured him a bit more. Didn't have much time but i want to keep this thread alive. Named him Gauthier (le chef) .

When rendering at a higher resolution I experience a really strange phenomenon. As my dimensions increase, the SSS material (vray fast sss2) gets more sub surface scattering (see previous WIP image, this was rendered at 1024, latest is 3076 or so). This is also the case when i'm coming really close to the SSS surface with my camera.

Does anyone have an explanation for this? It's really freaking me out..

WIP: Click on the image to see the full res pic.

Last edited by zenopelgrims : 03 March 2013 at 08:31 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #23
Final image - Gauthier le Chef

So I decided to move on to another project, enjoyed working on Gauthier (le chef) but I'm starting to lose interest in him. Time for something new!

Final Image:

Old 03 March 2013   #24
New project

Started a new project. It will be a bigger one than the ones I did before. It will show a futuristic, dark nomad riding on a prehistoric animal, although even this animal has a futuristic touch. It's based on concept images of 'project 77'. I forgot who the concept artist is.

Yesterday I modelled the base mesh of the prehistoric animal.

I still need to figure out whether to block out all the props and characters first, or start focussing on one specific element, and then move on the next one. Any tips on this?

Old 03 March 2013   #25
It has been a while since I posted some progress, so here we are. I'm adding the props now, this is far from done. Can't wait to take this all into zbrush and make it look good!

Old 03 March 2013   #26
Project Nomad new progress

It is itching so badly to this into zbrush.. But first it needs a lot more props and next week my yiynova msp19u arrives, so it will be worth the waiting!

So far so good: Click on the image to open the full res version.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by zenopelgrims : 03 March 2013 at 04:05 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #27
progress on the modelling

Old 03 March 2013   #28
hi i like your work i have a passion for 3d modeling as well and im 18, but i do aliens haha

Old 03 March 2013   #29
I really like the design. It's appealing but gives you the sense that it can crush you under its feet :x well that's from the basemesh. Can't wait to see this get worked in Zbrush

Make lots of mistakes and learn from them.

Old 03 March 2013   #30
sculpted a bit

next up is the character!

reply share thread