House exterior

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
House exterior

Hello i have this exterior

And i wanted to improve it, so far the criticism i've received is the following:
-Shadows too sharp
-Grass too big
-Lack of dirt
-Lack of bump materials
-Corners too sharp

So i've did some tests to try to improve shadows, dirt and bump:

I increased the size of vraysun(for shadows) and i think it worked ok, but im having problems with the vray dirt and bump maps.

1)Bump map on the walls: i think im doing something wrong, it's already set to 500 and its barely noticeable, except where there's dirt, there it's too noticeable.

2)Dirt map:Could it be that the algorithim that determines where dirt goes is not too good, i turned up the settings very high and as you can see my distribution of dirt is very uneven, some faces have no dirt and are next to faces with a lot of it.

Please help me by pointing out other things that you think could be improved in the image and if you can by answering my two specific questions.

Thank you all very much in advance.

Old 02 February 2013   #2
Hey man,

Here are some small crits:

-The texture for the brick is to low contrast and tiled. Try getting a different brick texture that tiles better.
-The texture on your foundation is too high contrast and tiled.
-Your bump looks off because the indirect illumination wont be affected by it very much. Try using a subtle diffuse map to get the details in your stucco.
-I think most houses would have a driveway or a walk way that would lead to the house. It seems odd that its just sitting in the middle of a grass filed.

-AJ

Old 02 February 2013   #3
Thanks AJ! That's great advice i'll be sure to apply it.

Question: what is a good source for better textures? I'm having problems finding textures that aren't just small tiled squares, so far i've tried arch shaders and cgtextures but with no luck, any advice on that?

Thanks again!

Old 02 February 2013   #4
www.cgtextures.com is great. You have to register (free) but the range that is available is really useful.

Old 02 February 2013   #5
hey man, this is looking good! i think something could really help it is if you change up the modeling slightly. and by that i mean just taking all those straight edges and just very slightly pull them out so they arent perfect. also, are your edges beveled at all? cause i think that would help too!

keep goin dood

Old 02 February 2013   #6
First of all thank you all for the advices, you're really cool people.

Jbeezy: in the second image i beveled them a little (like 1,5cm) i thought that more than that would be extremely unrealistic, altough its hardly noticeable, should i bevel it more?
Also, by slightly pulling out the straight edges you mean slicing the boxes and moving the vertex around? do you have an example or tutorial of that?

Again, thank you all, ill be posting new images as soon as i have them

Old 02 February 2013   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread