Nomad Girl WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Smile Nomad Girl WIP

Hi everyone,

Here is a character I have been working in my spare time for past month or so. Iíve had this in mind for a few months now and itís nice to finally get some time to do it.

She is meant to be a nomad girl from Iran! Been fascinated by their looks for a long time! They are unique, they are beautiful and they only deal with mother earth. I used to do a lot of paintings based on these people.

She is meant to be beautiful as in ďwild beautyĒ sort of thing!

Iím thinking of a doing an expression on her face. Havenít quite figured what expression Iím going for so I guess Iíll play around with that a bit.

The lighting needs to be tweaked as well. I might actually go for a completely new lighting setup. Iím still kind of experimenting with it.

Iíve done the textures and the shaders and Iím doing a render right now so I should be able to update this sometime soon.

I hope you like it and please let me know what you think!

Cheers!

Sohrab Esfehani.

02 February 2013
Wow, looks amazing! Very detailed.

02 February 2013
Thanks a lot man ! I appreciate your support.

02 February 2013
very nice attention to details! What is your process for creating small details like pores?

02 February 2013
amazing attention to details , would love to see some wires , out of curiosity are u using displacement map in the renders or is decimated mesh ?

02 February 2013
update

Thanks a lot for your kind words everyone.
I'll do a complete breakdown of the process at some point.

Here is an update on the textures and the shaders.

The hair looks a bit greenish so I need to modify the colours a bit. Also might need to adjust the style a bit and make it more realistic. Might also increase the amount of fluff on the skin.

I'm thinking of changing the diffuse map on the scarf. The ornaments are alright atm but I can do a much better job.
As for the skin, Not sure if I should make it look more nomad like or not! I mean like adding more freckles or a bit of sun burn like colours on the cheeks, etc.

Also need to add fluff to the clothes because without it the shading just wouldn't work.

The lighting is still not quite there yet either. I need to explore a few different setups to see what works best.

I'm working on an expression atm and should be able to update it soon.

At this stage I'm open to suggestions and ideas so please do let me know if you can think of anything that would elevate the artwork.
Cheers,
Sohrab.

highres image
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e...hading_v010.jpg

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by thebest: amazing attention to details , would love to see some wires , out of curiosity are u using displacement map in the renders or is decimated mesh ?

I'm using Vray proxy meshes! they render a lot faster than displacements for a still image.

02 February 2013
minastris, wow looks great. I like the face and the scarf. I think you are right about hairs - need some more work, maybe make them more smoother. Also, wood on the back not looking right for me. Keep doing great work, man.

02 February 2013
Smile

Thanks a lot man ,

I know. Need to tweak the wood shader a bit more

02 February 2013
Been playing around with the expressions, Zbrush is just amazing when it comes to doing facial expressions and such.

I think simple expressions would work best for this piece. kind of choosing between the sad look and the subtle smile!
Help me out, which one do you think would look better???

These are more like rough sketches so once I pick one I'd spend more time on adding more detail and refining the forms.

Also been trying out some other expressions which are a bit extreme! I only did them cause it was fun

02 February 2013
This is coming along well but two things that really stand out in the last render are the lips and hair. Her lips are too dark; it almost looks as if she's wearing lipstick, which doesn't really work in context. As for the hair, the hairline is too straight and the quality doesn't really match the rest of the model. Other things that could be improved are the skin shading (it doesn't look like real skin yet), and the overall skin tone (which looks a bit too orange).

My recommendation would be to totally finish the model and textures and shading before you play around with other things like facial expressions. Stay focused.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by leigh: This is coming along well but two things that really stand out in the last render are the lips and hair. Her lips are too dark; it almost looks as if she's wearing lipstick, which doesn't really work in context. As for the hair, the hairline is too straight and the quality doesn't really match the rest of the model. Other things that could be improved are the skin shading (it doesn't look like real skin yet), and the overall skin tone (which looks a bit too orange).

My recommendation would be to totally finish the model and textures and shading before you play around with other things like facial expressions. Stay focused.

Hey,

Thanks for the feedback!

I agree about the hairline! It definitely needs more attention. The shading needs a bit of tweaking as well. Although much of it comes from the lighting and also will need color correction in nuke. As for the lips and the orange tone, if you have a look at Iranian nomads you'd realize they have a different skin tone and the lips can be red and dark without the need for lipstick!

http://kasraian.com/photodetail.asp...Nomads&index=29

Those are good bunch of reference images to flick through

Thanks again for the feedback!

02 February 2013
Wow. Amazing details! Really love this type of stuff.

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread