Coffe House

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Coffe House

Can anyone help me, why did they reject this image?

Last edited by xcomb : 02 February 2013 at 07:37 AM.

02 February 2013
Overall the composition and placement of items doesn't appear to be very tight to me. Try moving the elements around to get a better sense of balance.

The background isn't doing it for me, it's bright and draws attention and doesn't really add anything. It doesn't make me think 'coffee shop', it makes me think 'I took these items home and photographed them in my kitchen'. I suggest either making it much darker or choosing something more easily recogniseable as being from a coffee shop.

Texture on the spoon looks great, perhaps a little too scratched up and not enough water/coffee stained.

I don't know whether you used a low resolution image or it's the depth of field but the label doesn't look that great. It's big and bright and feels like it should be a central point of interest yet it's out of focus. Maybe either don't use the label or play with the depth of field settings to make it sharp. The coffee looks a bit too shiny. The edges of the handle look a bit too hard compared to the roundness at the top of the cup.

Salt and pepper shakers: the metal looks really nice again, perhaps a tad too shiny.

Sugar container: container and lid look a bit too plasticky as apposed to glass and metal (what I assume it's supposed to be made of).

Keep at it, I'm sure you can make this scene look amazing!

02 February 2013
I wish they would give reasons eh :( the thing that pops out most to me is that there seems to be some weird DOF going on? Like the cup and the small cream should be in focus i think. still a nice image tho

02 February 2013
Yes really nice comments and that does make scenes to me now, what you have mentioned as far as everything goes. Thanks a lot!
By the way here is the reference image i took as an example
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulcs...61415/lightbox/

02 February 2013
The cubby doors and handles in the background are distracting to me. You did a good job of modelling the scene in the reference photo, but that alone won't get work accepted by the judges.

02 February 2013
To me I find this piece very confusing. You've got a coffee cup, which clearly says Starbucks on it. But I've never seen salt & pepper, vinegar and sauce in a starbucks, or perhaps any retail coffee shop. It's not the kind of place that would need them as they mainly sell coffee and cakes

Starbucks coffee shops usually always have empty tables as like seen below.

02 February 2013
I don't think there is anything wrong with the image on a technical level, but again, as in your forest one, it lacks focus...it lacks a story.

Pull the camera back, revealing a notepad on the table with a half written love letter.

Perhaps add in an ashtray, half smoked cigarette, and a news paper with a sensational headline?

Some writing and a message on the cup of coffee, with the name enshrined in a heart?

A napkin with a date and message written on it?

SOMETHING to show a hint of a story-something to make the image interesting to look to a non-technical viewer.

02 February 2013
Yes i got it and much appriciate for your effort to help me, i will do as you stated!

02 February 2013
How is this one looking to you? Just the lighting!
I am going to work on materials more, seems missing some textures and worn out places or maybe dust and rusty looking metal some place.
This image has no story yet!
http://s4.postimage.org/cljczsa4t/image.jpg

Last edited by xcomb : 02 February 2013 at 10:30 AM.

02 February 2013
I agree with the others: The image looks well made on a technical level, but it lacks emotions/a story. Give it a meaning/a reason to be looked at, other than the technical side!

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread