Bald Man

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Bald Man

Hi

I'm posting here my latest render... It is a finished work but moderators do not allow me to show it in the 3d Gallery because they say my picture does not the general quality level of the gallery ... That's pretty funny as much worse renders are being posted their with no problem .. So I'm posting it here.

Cheers

hi-res image - http://i.imgur.com/aqompNX.jpg

02 February 2013
Rox29, you should watch your language. those that got uploaded because they were liked by many. as for you maybe half liked it but half didnt. can not say.

but i think it was rejected because its too simple. or maybe many areas were dark. although i find it good.

02 February 2013
Why should I watch my language ? What wrong did I say ? Just for example .. http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...f=132&t=1078517 Isn't that work simple ? If so, than why is it in the gallery ?

02 February 2013
ohhhh, i get your point

but

all i am saying is don't call the others worse. do not be competitive, just be yourself, i am sure your renderings must be unique in some way.

02 February 2013
i have to agree with rox here. this work didnt deserved to be rejected (although i do think the portrait really needs hair to be a truly finished piece) still, its a quality sculpt, and a good render.
i dont really mean to offend anybody by saing their work is bad, but lets be honest, half of the portraits in the gallery arent reaching for the quality level of this work.

rox, dont be bummed down by this, if anything take it as a new challenge to nail this character down.
trust me, take it to the next level and add some hair to him (the lack of hair is imho the only possible reason this was rejected in the first place)

Last edited by kybel : 02 February 2013 at 02:25 PM.

02 February 2013
nice answer kybel, but dont understand how hair could be the problem. since hair would hide the head and in his rendering the head is also detailed. well could try the hair thing.

02 February 2013
I agree about the gallery acceptance comparison. But I think you can take this much further with just a little more effort. Maybe instead of hair, give him a hat. And put a blurred environment map in the background to place him somewhere.

This is really amazing though! It's at a level I hope to make one day. I cannot say anything bad about what you did accomplish. Really well done. Thanks for sharing.

02 February 2013
A similar thing happened to me. I had sent my very best work to date and it got declined. I think cgtalk used to accept just about anything in the galleries but now they want a ""full"" image. Meaning there needs to be a composition, story, background, movements etc.

It's sad because your image is one of the most inspiring I've seen so far!! Not only should your image be accepted in your gallery, it should be in the front page!

This problem aside, I saw how you made the geo for the eyes and I was wondering how you got the caustics effect in the eyes. Is is a specular applied to the iris?

Thanks for sharing!

02 February 2013
Thanks for comments guys

olivierth - I totally agree with you about the "full images" in the gallery. But it's just a portrait so it's hard to expect any movement or story in it ...

About the eyes, there is no caustics effect but there is indeed some specular and reflection on the eyeball and the iris. They both use the vray sss2 material, which has the specular component built in so I just used it. And of course there is a cornea geometry on top of that with sharp reflections and refraction.

Honestly, my goal was to make an extremely simple portrait but realistic at the same time. That's why I spent 90% of the time on improving the model, shader, lighting etc. Stuff like hair, background would only distract from the face itself I guess.

I submitted the image again to the 3d gallery but now with different title and description ... maybe it'll work now ... who knows ...

Last edited by rox29 : 02 February 2013 at 11:27 PM.

02 February 2013
I did a quick color correction, changed some things and added a simple background. Let's see if it gets accepted now ... I doubt it will though

02 February 2013
the last one looks more completed. nice work.

02 February 2013
I like your submission, very lifelike. Trying to work out why a submission wasn't accepted is only frustrating. The judges may see something in a submission that makes them like it. They are artists after all, and art is always subjective. They must have some interesting debates about the submissions.
Some things you just have to take on the chin and then move on.

02 February 2013
thanks guys

But I guess it's still not enough for the gallery, beause it's been rejected once again ...

02 February 2013
Personally, I think it's a great job, good detail and a great job of shaders and textures.
* A good pose of the character ... personally I give 4 stars (I was in the gallery of completed jobs)
Congratulations for your character
* There are always more forums in which to post your image
Cheers and patience

03 March 2013
Now, hold on...
Did they rejected you on "3D stills"?

Is I understand, this forum have a 2 sub-forums:
-3D Stills (anyone can post finished work)
-CG Choice Gallery: 3D (only those who are selected by moderators)

The example you give is on 3D Stills, not on CG Choice Gallery, which is totally Ok.

Nice work, btw.

Thread Closed share thread