University Project

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
University Project

Hi I'm Zac Vout, I'm a student studying at Staffordshire university. The focus of my dissertation is how ethnicity implied in the modern film/game market. This will lead to a series of sculpts of professional standard from a variety of models from various ethnic backgrounds. I was wondering for feedback on my first finished model, any critique is welcome and preferred as it will help to refine the finished sculpts.

Thank you for your time

Zac Vout

Old 02 February 2013   #2
Welcome to the forum.

You should really post larger shots of your work because it's kinda hard to really get a good look at your model.

However, from what I can see, it looks as though you're modelling what you think should be there as opposed to what's actually there, because your model doesn't really look like your reference at all. Did you do lineups? Because your brows, nose, chin and cheeks definitely don't match the reference. When modelling to a reference like this, it's absolutely essential to use cards in your viewport with the photos on them, and for you to spend time ensuring your model matches it very accurately.

Unless the whole point of your dissertation is to show that stereotypes come through in 3D as opposed to accurate representations of the model?

Old 02 February 2013   #3
Hi Leigh thanks for the reply,
The feedback is welcomed and ill change the model to reflect it
I trailed lineups but the photos didn't lineup correctly after hours of tweaking, this left me with little time as i only have a few more weeks to produce another 7 sculpts. The aim of the dissertation is to see if ethnicity can be implied onto a model, for example does the ethnicity of the model reflect the reference imagery.
Is there any other potential tips/feedback you could give me on my future sculpts to improve them more?
Kindest Regards
Zac Vout

Old 03 March 2013   #4
Progress

Significant gains have been made on the sculpting front in response to feedback and this is the current sculpted heads.
If anyone can give me feedback on how to increase the realism of the sculpts or painting it would hugely help my work progress.

Head 2

Head 3

Head 4
Render trail comparaision

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Progress

Current progress;
I trailed new multipass technique but the results make the skin to shiny, however any feedback would be helpful

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread