Island WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Island WIP

Hello,
I am working on a simple project on my free time.
For this picture i use : softimage & Ice (modeling, render), worldmachine (terrain modeling> heightmap exported to ice and mapping), vue (custom hdr for lighting in softimage) and nuke (compositing).
I am doing this picture in a way to play and and learn new technique it's why i've use this couple of software.
Below a viewport picture, a decomposition of the passes uses in compositing and a first composited picture:
It's an early version and any comments critics tips are welcomed. Thanks

Old 02 February 2013   #2
Cool man! This looks pretty good!

I think the beaches are a little bright, and the texture on your mountain looks low resolution. Your diffuse also looks a soft. Are you just using the HDRI for lighting?

-AJ

Old 02 February 2013   #3
Thanks for the comment AJ

I will correct the beaches. For the texture of the moutain i need to export a better resolution from world machine.
For the lighting i've used the hdr via a skydom, i've used also a direct/infinite light which match with the sun position/color of the hdr.
And a spotlight to simulate the fog/atmosphere in an other passes:

And for the diffuse soft effect i need to work more on the shader. Thanks

Old 02 February 2013   #4
below a new render/compo, i try to apply the comment from AJ1, i've also work on the plane and the atmosphere, hope you like it:
full resolution here

I need to work more and fix few things. Any comments are welcomed

Old 02 February 2013   #5
Hey man,

You've done a great job minimizing the grain on the water as it fades to the distance. I'm not on a color accurate monitor right now, so I cant really say much about that.

I think the composition could use a little tweaking. The island looks a little small, and I think its a multitude of factors causing that. The frequency on the waves looks too large, and there aren't any waves that conform to the coast line of the island.

That texture on the rock still looks low quality, and could use more work.

Are you going for a sunset/sunrise type look? I would image that the light should be more directional on your island, with a light orange light hitting one side, and a soft blue on the other.

I'm sure you've got plenty of reference material, but here is one that I thought showed some nice detail on the waves, trees, and reefs.

http://www.home-hunts.net/wp-conten...-c-morrison.jpg

-AJ

Old 02 February 2013   #6
I like the kinda hazy feeling you've got in the image but there are some textural problems with the island - namely the beaches are too yellow and a bit too bright, and the texture on the rock face of the mountain looks too low detailed and stretched.

AJ above me has also rightly pointed out that the size of the waves miniaturises the island. At this height, the shapes of the waves should surely be barely perceptible. His point about the colour of the light is true too - that peachy colour is associated with sunset, at which point wed expect to see far more contrasted, directional lighting in the scene.

Your composition could also be more exciting. Study some establishing shots from films to see how islands are shown to the viewer - Jurassic Park, for example, has an epic establishing shot of the island.

Old 02 February 2013   #7
Originally Posted by leigh: Your composition could also be more exciting. Study some establishing shots from films to see how islands are shown to the viewer - Jurassic Park, for example, has an epic establishing shot of the island.

Lol! I thought of this too, but I couldn't find a screen grab of it on google.

Old 02 February 2013   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread