Getting the Gang Back Together (Star Wars)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Getting the Gang Back Together (Star Wars)

[right click to see the full size pics]

Ever since the announcement of the new Star Wars movie's I've wanted to start work on this project. I finally got around to it a few weeks ago and I'm now ready to show something.

I'll be doing models of Luke, Han and Leia, but at their current ages. Not 100% sure on what I'll do once I have the heads done, but I'm sure I'll work something out.

Main render is done in 3dsmax with vray, and there is a little bit of post work on it.

Han Sculpt
Han's about 90% done, still a few more little tweaks here and there are probably needed. He's actually a progression of an old Han model I did, which wasn't up to scratch for the project, so I improved it.

Luke Sculpt
Luke's about 65% done, he's a hard nut to crack, but I'm confident I'll get there. He's a little slimmer than Mark Hamill is currently, but it looks like Mark is losing weight for the role so I'm just jumping ahead in time...lol

Obviously their ears need working on, and they need hair, eyebrows, clothes etc...and Leia is coming soon...

Old 02 February 2013   #2
very cool...I can already see the resemblance..keep it up

Old 02 February 2013   #3
Awesome start! Excited to see where this is going.

Subscribed to this thread.

Old 02 February 2013   #4
thanks guys, glad you like 'em

i wasn't in much of a sculpting mood this afternoon so I just played around with the rendering...

each head was rendered separately (about 2.5 minutes each @ 1920x818) then combined in PS...DOF was added in PS too....

Old 02 February 2013   #5
I like where this is going

Old 02 February 2013   #6
@Numptus1: thanks!

-------------------

I decided to try out some eyebrows and hair for Harrison tonight (seeing as I don't see myself adjusting the parts of this face that the hair sits on).

the hair was created in Zbrush using fibremesh. I then exported the geo and brought it into max.

The hair was split as follows:-

Main Hair: about 9 different chunks to allow ease of styling (might need 1 or 2 fuzzy edge chunks to soften where it meets the skin)
Eyebrows: 3 different layers, to account for different lengths/thicknesses/colours of the hairs
Eyelashes: just the one group cover top and bottom lashes for both eyes (top ones are barely visible)

All the main hair has a simple whitish-brown standard max material applied, while the eyebrows have 3 separate colours each with varying levels of opacity to soften them up. Eyelashes are just a brown standard material. No spec on any of the hair at this stage.

-------

The render times were quite good just using the fibremesh->geo w/standard material method (not to mention it was a billion times easier to style, I did the whole hairdo in about 1/2 an hour), with the above render coming around 3-4 minutes.

I should note that the hair is a bit jaggy at the moment, but 1 iteration of turbo smooth should fix it.

-----------------

I guess I should look at doing a diffuse map for the skin now, haven't bothered with one as of yet...

Old 02 February 2013   #7
Nice but how about him still having a touch of brown in there.

I know he is obviously completely grey in real life but just a touch of brown, go on, you know you want to

Old 02 February 2013   #8
I am a big star wars fan. I can't wait to see the results. Please keep up the good work!

Old 02 February 2013   #9
really cool idea ..
execution is top notch so far ...
looking forward to you progress

Old 02 February 2013   #10
I have seenthe light!! Subscribed.

Old 02 February 2013   #11
@Numptus1: I might add some colour in there later on, but at this stage I'll just leave it grey

@gorillajin: i'll try to!

@xtrm3d: thanks

@scrimski: welcome aboard

---------

for Han I was trying out different camera angles to see which looked best...and I think this one looks quite like him

--------

I also spent some time on Luke today, getting his face right...I think it's almost there, I just need to fix his eyes up...they got awfully blobby and uneven somewhere along the line....

I'll hopefully be starting sculpting on Leia sometime this weekend...

Old 02 February 2013   #12
there were a few things I wasn't happy about with both luke and han aso i went back in and gave them another going over...

all hair has disappeared for now, I'll have to tweak it...there's still something slightly off in the front on view but i think I've finally gotten the profile right...

there's a few little normal/displacement niggles in the luke stuff....but i'll get those...

and just a bit of render/shader fun

Old 02 February 2013   #13
I plan on doing some more updates to Luke's Sculpt but wanted to get some hair in place to help me better visualise the changes needed...

there's about 15-20 different chunks of hair in that 'do (3 layers for the eyebrows)...and to bring them into max easily i just merged and exported the geo from Zbrush...

------------

I've also started on Leia...keep in mind this is very early (you should see some of the very very early ones) and I don't sculpt a lot of women...especially older women....so this was always going to be a challenge....

it wasn't until i put the dynamesh hair in that things started to get closer...and i think once she gets proper hair & makeup it'll help even more...

the mouth needs fixing and I need to soften it in places (the eyes especially), then a detail pass...but i think it's on the right track....

Old 02 February 2013   #14
Hi,

For the face Mark Hamill and Harisson Ford are really there, no question about it.

Will follow you work that is really great !

Cu,
Jeff

Old 02 February 2013   #15
a little bit of an update....worked some more on leia

i'll get some zbrush grabs later on..

and I thought it'd be fun to throw all 3 into the one pic....this is really rough but it's just to see them all in one place...

Thread Closed share thread