Low Poly Female Mesh Aesthetics check

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Talking Low Poly Female Mesh Aesthetics check

Hey, I was wondering if someone could give me some feedback about my model.
Just need to know if there are any weird looking porportions. It's for my graduatin project so it needs to look as profesional as I can get it.
It's a low poly body mesh for an avatar creation tool in Maya. It needs to have a big head with large facial attributes (should I make the eyes bigger?) Hands and feet are not very important. I'd really appreciate the feedback! ^^

Old 02 February 2013   #2
Nothing? Am I good to go? Or is it so lousy it's hard to pinpoint what's wrong?

Old 02 February 2013   #3
Hello there.

Well i think this is pretty hard to crit as you ask if there are any odd proportions and then go on to say that it needs a bit head and features so we can't critique the design of the character at all really...

I don't know how generic you need it looking as I am not familiar with the intended purpose of the model, but I would say that for now it looks like a blow up doll as it stands... Perhaps we can see some initial design sketches of the concept to see what your idea is?...

Also once the mouth is closed I am wondering if your head may actually be too spherical? But either way we need to know what teh goal is as this could either be good or bad depending where it is going.

Hope that helps!

Best, William

Old 02 February 2013   #4
The hands are really bothering me. They are too small and too blocky. If you take a look at the bottom most render, her right hand, it's basically a cube/rectangle with a bit of bevel.
The ears needs to be pushed up a bit, they are a bit too low currently.
And personally I would give her a little bit more volume on the cheeks, but this is a personal preference.

Old 02 February 2013   #5
Even if you're going for a characterised chibi type character. It's still important that the proportions look right.

As mentioned before the hands look a little small and it's also missing a finger (it looks really strange not having all 4 fingers + thumb).

The arms and legs look too long for the body(either make the arms/legs shorter or make the body a bit bigger, I'd also make the hips wider as females generally have wider hips than males.

From the front view the breasts look rather strange, they look too much like spheres with no form to them.

When modelling heads, it's usually best to keep their mouth closed and then use a rig to open it as it usually helps deformations better for animation/posing. I'd also say the nose is a bit too thin

The ears look quite thin and looks a little odd.

If you could provide any sketches you have for the indented character as well as wireframes will help us provide better critiques.

Old 02 February 2013   #6
What is your intended finished character to look like? Is it an elf-type character, or one of those big head cute girls?

Old 02 February 2013   #7
Quick Update

Thank you all so much!
Here's an update.
I don't have concept art but I'm using all kinds of different anatomy and cartoon reference.
It's going to be an avatar creation tool so it's hard to have reference for it. (I did with the older version which was more anime like)
I'm sticking with 4 fingers, the hands and feet really are the least important part of this model as they won't be altered much. The face is the most important part so I also shortened the limbs a bit which makes me kinda think the head is too big again. I think I implemented most feedback. The hands will remain the bain of my existance, I hate adjusting them in mudbox. I'm also having a bit of trouble with the shoulder/neck area. But yeah... Again thanks a bunch! It's greatly apreciated!
(Oh yeah, also added the subD level. ^^ )

Old 02 February 2013   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread