Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 02-01-2013, 06:13 AM   #1
MurtazaRizvi
3D Murtaza

portfolio
Murtaza Rizvi
Karachi, Pakistan

Terrace Cafe

Hi all. i did this rendering for 3d submission but got rejected.

Now, i need to know how i can improve. also what type of outside scene should be? i went for a cafe with water underneath.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
Scote
just a creator

portfolio
Samuel Cote
3D Artist / FX Coordinator
Montreal, Canada

I think it's a lack in the lightning.. Maybe you can use some warm color and volumic to help create the atmosphere

Old 02-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
MurtazaRizvi
3D Murtaza

portfolio
Murtaza Rizvi
Karachi, Pakistan

thanks. but you mean to say lighting as in those fogs coming through the openings? also i need to know that the furniture is right or needs improvement?

Old 02-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
BrikProductions
The guy from that place.

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Brendan M
Perth, Australia

Yeah I would say the lighting should be a bit more defined. Have it streaming in from outside so there is a more defined shadow/light ratio. Also the outside area would be overexposed.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
MurtazaRizvi
3D Murtaza

portfolio
Murtaza Rizvi
Karachi, Pakistan

thanks for the reply but i want to know that the furniture is right or needs improvement?

Old 02-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Every time you post a piece of work that has been rejected, you get critiques, then you disappear, and then you show up again a month later with a new piece of work that got rejected, and the cycle starts again.

How about actually listening to critique and improving your previous work instead of embarking on a new piece of work that's flawed because you've not really bothered to learn from any of the advice you've been given on previous pieces?

If you keep just abandoning your projects every time someone critiques it, and start a new one, you are never going to improve.

I'm also going to consider banning you from this WIP forum if you continue posting new threads while abandoning ones where you've been given critique, because more and more it just looks like you have no interest in learning.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
MurtazaRizvi
3D Murtaza

portfolio
Murtaza Rizvi
Karachi, Pakistan

well, i am trying to learn but my pc cant support when a big change comes, so i resort to do something that can only work with my limited resources.

the mountain one: when i try to add houses and more buildings it wouldn't just render.

the egypt: one i did those changes and i would always render in days.

even this scene i had to render the furniture, plants, outside, each trolley in different times and then composite in Photoshop.

i m sorry if you feel its useless to post, coz when you should me the LOTR reference i tried to do it but my pc cant support such heavy files. you posted that long advice in the egypt one and i did take a lot of advice from everyone but my pc just stopped to render completely since the last one.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

I'm sorry but I just don't believe you. That's pretty much the oldest excuse in the book.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
MurtazaRizvi
3D Murtaza

portfolio
Murtaza Rizvi
Karachi, Pakistan

very well. I am gonna stick to this one. thanks

Old 02-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
Kev3D
Agent

portfolio
Kevin Russell
3D Artist
Kevisual
London, GB

Send a message via MSN to Kev3D
To me, the image feels very busy. There's a lot of light and dark and this makes it confusing to figure out what's going on. Why have jet black tiles for instance? Where is the centre of interest here? A good composition would have the eyes naturally falling on something as soon as they look at the picture. Maybe that would be the mountain in this picture just because it's the easiest to figure out what it is but I don't think that's ideal when you've put all this effort into the 3D. You could afford to simplify this right down, maybe focus on one of the tables, then take control of the lighting in order to help your composition.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
MurtazaRizvi
3D Murtaza

portfolio
Murtaza Rizvi
Karachi, Pakistan

thanks kev3d. i was now thinking the same things regarding the light.

secondly i think the chairs look to simple, redoing them now. that might be the reason too.

thirdly what do you mean by jet black tiles? are they too black and dark or they don't suite the floor.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #12
Kev3D
Agent

portfolio
Kevin Russell
3D Artist
Kevisual
London, GB

Send a message via MSN to Kev3D
I mean that overall the image looks too busy and the black tiles don't help with this. I suggest you figure out a better composition and from there decide which models need improving.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #13
MurtazaRizvi
3D Murtaza

portfolio
Murtaza Rizvi
Karachi, Pakistan

thanks. i get what you mean.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #14
EdgeIcon
Veteran

portfolio
Landon Ginn
Dallas, USA

Overall a lot of the materials do not feel believable. The chair models feel too sharp edged. perhaps giving them bevels that suit their material would help the model. But their materials need to also be metal, not flat.
The truss, tables,stuff on the tables, back wall, and plants also do not have materials that look realistic or believable.
Take time to give all the assets personality and definition. they seem duplicated in a way that shows no individuality. which, in this scene, it would benefit highly to give every asset some kind of uniqueness.
what i mean by this is for say chairs, some may have subtle dirt patches at their feet, others may have a napkin laying on top of the seat, etc.
the wall needs weathering and detail.

the lighting as has been stated feels flat and needs direction to lead the eye, as well as gradients and color balance. give the lighting some kind of color tone too. some kind of palette. subtly, not too strong. but definitely change the light's angle to give a better composition.

also, study cameras and see how they effect environments and lighting. try to replicate them.

goodluck.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #15
MurtazaRizvi
3D Murtaza

portfolio
Murtaza Rizvi
Karachi, Pakistan

thank you EdgeIcon for the crit. will try to improve one by one.

Thread Closed share thread