Warmachine Juggernaut

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
Warmachine Juggernaut

Hello Everybody!

I'm making a steamphunk robot from the tabletop game warmachine, the robot name is Juggernaut and for those who doesn't know it this is a photo of the model:

And here is my model so far:

Don't look at that weird thing at the top of the model is only a little compenetration.

What do you think? any suggestion?

Thanks, Ale.

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Hey man,

Are you lining this up based off a photo?

Your model and edge flow look ok, but you've maybe got some proportion issues. The legs look to large relative to the body, and that plate on the groin looks especially large. The pipes on the top also appear to be too large.

-AJ

Old 01 January 2013   #3
Originally Posted by AJ1: Hey man,

Are you lining this up based off a photo?

Your model and edge flow look ok, but you've maybe got some proportion issues. The legs look to large relative to the body, and that plate on the groin looks especially large. The pipes on the top also appear to be too large.

-AJ

No, I'm working without an ImagePlane, just to improve my ability to view how the objects are really.

Btw, you are right, and I've made a lot of changes in proportions, and here is where I am now:

I think that the main shape is done, there is some proportion that is probably wrong but I can't understand what.
I will go more into the details now.

Old 01 January 2013   #4
Hey man,

Try to look at two objects in your photo reference, figure our their size relative to each other, and make sure your 3D model follows that ratio. It also helps to look for certain features that line up, and make sure they line up in your model as well.

Here is just what I can pick out from the leg:

-The thigh plate is still too large, and sits to high. The inset goes in, while on the photo that appears to be an extrusion, and the two bevelled corners on the top are not large enough.

-That small plate just above the thigh plate is far to small.

-The cylinder that makes up the hip joint is not large enough. Notice how it sticks out past the thigh plate in the photo.

-The peice that makes up the pelvis is far to shallow, and the top of the groin plate lines up with that corner on the thigh plate. Also notice how the end of the groin lines up with that square piece under the head.

-Your feet appear too large.

Hope this helps,
AJ

Old 01 January 2013   #5
Thanks man!

I've made a lot of changes into the legs, what do you think now? works?

Old 01 January 2013   #6
Hey man,

It looks a little better, but you've still got lots of proportion issues.

Try to make one part constant, say the thigh plate, and base all your proportions off that.

For example, the leg height seems to be about 2 1/2 times the height of the thigh plate, the armour on the back of the hand and the thigh plate are about the same length, and the pelvis seems to be about the same width of the thigh plate.

Don't be afraid to tear apart your model and rescale things if you find you've really mucked up the shape and proportions of something. You really should be picky about those kinds of things if you want this to look like your photo. Modelling things without image planes can take a few attempts to get it looking right.

-AJ

Last edited by AJ1 : 01 January 2013 at 12:00 AM.

Old 01 January 2013   #7
ineteresting object,
beside the already mentioned proportion issue..
i am looking forward to your first texture test

Old 01 January 2013   #8
Ok... I am relatively new to 3D, this is only my second project without following a tutorial so this is probably why I can't really find very well the proportions.

What about now? The right part is only mirrored ATM

@ xtrm3d: TY for your interest.
Yeah the texture process will be very funny

Old 01 January 2013   #9
I think the feet are still a little too large dude.

Old 01 January 2013   #10
Hey man,

I can sit here all day and point out proportion issues. I'm trying to give you some tips and techniques that will help you do that yourself. If you can provide a render that matches the angle of your photograph, I can better demonstrate some of these techniques. They're not difficult at all, but there easier to explain visually.

-AJ

Old 01 January 2013   #11
Originally Posted by AJ1: Hey man,

I can sit here all day and point out proportion issues. I'm trying to give you some tips and techniques that will help you do that yourself. If you can provide a render that matches the angle of your photograph, I can better demonstrate some of these techniques. They're not difficult at all, but there easier to explain visually.

-AJ

Ok now I'll do this in a few minutes, thanks...

Ok this should be quite similar, I'll post the reference too

Last edited by Settra88 : 01 January 2013 at 11:58 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #12
Hey man,

Here are some basic notes about what I was talking about. You really need to be picky about these things. Your pelvis is way off, and you really need to take it apart and move it into the proper position, rather than just slowly tweaking it.

Your shoulder has some problems, Notice the angles between things on your photo, and make sure those angles stay true on your model.

Try moving your camera further away and lowering the field of view to more closely match your photo. It helps to leave a camera at that spot, and use another camera to move around your scene. You could line your photo up on top of a render of your model, but that's not really the point of the exercise.

Sorry to be harsh, I'm trying to make you aggressive and uncompromising about getting your proportions right.

-AJ

Old 01 January 2013   #13
Originally Posted by AJ1: Sorry to be harsh, I'm trying to make you aggressive and uncompromising about getting your proportions right.

-AJ

And this is what I want, really, many thanks

Worked on it today, a little preview and this evening I will continue...

Redone the hands, redone the feets, posed a little bit, changed something here and there...

Old 01 January 2013   #14
Ok here we are for today...

Link for bigger version:
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1512/comparedopo6.jpg

There are still some issues but I think that is coming out quite good.

What do you think?

Old 01 January 2013   #15
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread