Expert

portfolio
Tomas Kral
Lead Monkey
RUR
Prague, Czech Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by laber
Sounds great! And he could crush/bend the metal bar in his stone hand.

Precisely

Old 02-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #17
azazel
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Andrzej Sykut
Freelancer
Platige Image
Cracow, Poland

Haha he looks exactly like I'd imagine a grumpy guy contemplating his lost, long awaited holidays. Awesome work. But IMO the first image is much stronger than the newer ones - it's just so much more raw, honest, with simple, direct message. Just as it should be. The newer ones have nicer shaders, etc, but the setting, the metal bar, etc, IMO detract from the expression on his face. It's bit like that: it becomes technically brilliant, but loses some of the power that first one had.

I hope that does not sound offensive, if so, I apologise.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #18
A-TOM
Expert

portfolio
Tomas Kral
Lead Monkey
RUR
Prague, Czech Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel
Haha he looks exactly like I'd imagine a grumpy guy contemplating his lost, long awaited holidays. Awesome work. But IMO the first image is much stronger than the newer ones - it's just so much more raw, honest, with simple, direct message. Just as it should be. The newer ones have nicer shaders, etc, but the setting, the metal bar, etc, IMO detract from the expression on his face. It's bit like that: it becomes technically brilliant, but loses some of the power that first one had.

I hope that does not sound offensive, if so, I apologise.

Thanks man for such thorough comment! Its nice that you took the time to write me your opinion, I am glad you did it. I gues you have a point. Even my wife told me that. I think its maybe because the strong simple lighting (from Zbush) suit Hellboy better that more complicated setup.

My reasons to start with this artowrk was just to take my mind of my work and life troubles and get lost for a while in the process of creating. Since I was finished with the sculpt I did find it useful for a little training in Arnold renderer. I gues thats where I got a little bit lost. But the good thing about that is, since nearly all materials are finished I can try multiple light setups and see where it takes me

Anyway Thanks for your point of view man

Old 03-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #19
A-TOM
Expert

portfolio
Tomas Kral
Lead Monkey
RUR
Prague, Czech Republic

I am starting to be happy with most of the shaders/modeling/textures. I may still adjust the lighting and of course create the goddamn hair. Tell me what you thing about it...

Old 03-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #20
lhumungus
Veteran
portfolio
Lord Humungus
Humungus Parts and Labor
New York, USA

Texturing looks amazing. I still say he's too short with reference to the height chart. Even if he were "normal" tall, like say 72", he looks like he'd have another 4" of big round head to add to that. But to make him more true to the character, I'd put him at "unusually" tall, so at least 80" up to the top of his head. Minor detail, but everything else is so good.

LH

Old 03-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #21
A-TOM
Expert

portfolio
Tomas Kral
Lead Monkey
RUR
Prague, Czech Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhumungus
Texturing looks amazing. I still say he's too short with reference to the height chart. Even if he were "normal" tall, like say 72", he looks like he'd have another 4" of big round head to add to that. But to make him more true to the character, I'd put him at "unusually" tall, so at least 80" up to the top of his head. Minor detail, but everything else is so good.

LH

I will fix it. Thanks

Old 03-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #22
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread