Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 08-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #31
Artdigital
3d Enthusiast
portfolio
Danny Robinson
London, United Kingdom

This model is insanely badass but agree with the others the renders let this down. The first thing that came to mind when seeing your scene was the Battlestar Galactica remake, maybe you could consider this as an influence.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #32
ULTR4MAR
Veteran

portfolio
Nejc Skufca
Ljubljana, Slovenia

@Miked08: Thanks!
No, the whole ship is divided into segments, there is around 10 4k textures used for it, due to specific areas on the ship. And no, the textures were not done in 30 minutes. Okay, so my eyes are telling me that it's off, but could you be more specific, what is it that bothers you with the textures exactly, I'm fairly poor at this and if you can point me to the mistake, that would be great.
I have no idea how to achieve something like this for instance http://www.war.cgnexus.eu/wp-conten...leCruiser14.jpg

Thanks for the ligthing, I'll get some references and try to figure out something that works.

And I'll have to redo all the flak and everything.. Quite some work left to do. I'm getting on a texturing tutorial right now, so I can tackle this baby better.

@Artdigital: Thanks! And yes, bsg was always an influence, with it's large amounts of flak and scale, nice of you to notice. However 40k is somewhat different, so I'm not going to go too far into the galactica style.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #33
Miked08
Big fan of pictures

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Mike Luard
CGI Artist
Colchester, United Kingdom

I'm being general here but I think the ship needs to be 'broken up' - in terms of value your ship is basically the same apart from some very saturated yellow sections. Your textures might look good when viewed at 100% in Photoshop but on a large scale they have very little variation.

You might want to check out this tutorial by Scott Robertson as it addresses a hierarchical design approach to vehicle design. Really pay attention to the section on value.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #34
ULTR4MAR
Veteran

portfolio
Nejc Skufca
Ljubljana, Slovenia

Awesome, very nicely put together video, thank you for that! Got to check out, and I can see what you mean, however I'm not sure I can do too much on the subject. The universe this is set in is really grim, so not really a lot of I don't know, logos, etc. There is a couple of aquilas, so everyone knows who came to blast everything apart, and that's it. The thing I think I can work most with is colour, wich could I suppose be trtanslated to value, if patterned correctly. Something like this perhaps.
The second thing I need to work on is the texture or in my case the displacement mapping. I started fooling around with layering more levels of detail one over another. That way I hope to achieve a more dynamic armour look.

So thank you again for the reply, I'm really happy to get feedback on specific issues, awesome!

Cheers!

Old 08-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #35
ULTR4MAR
Veteran

portfolio
Nejc Skufca
Ljubljana, Slovenia

Okay, so here's some progress. The gold looks nice to me, and the overall pattern I think is fine, however the metal plates material I just can't get right. Something is missing and I don't know what. I painted a new displacement map and I think it's working nicely, however I could really use some advice on what it is that's wrong here.

The value graphics are coming in later, I just want to get the base shaders for the entire hull right first.

Pics:

Old 09-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #36
JGlynn

portfolio
Joe Glynn
Chicago, USA

This may or may not be helpful for you, but in my opinion (as an observer of the model itself) you're applying color too uniformly. You completely lose the sense of scale you feel in the first image when you apply the gold texture in such a blanket fashion. It essentially creates the same problem you had when you were modeling the ship and striving for a sense of scale through greelbes, only now you're dealing with it in your texture.

Whenever I see a large ship in a game, movie, or piece of concept art it generally has only two or three colors at a low saturation. Star Destroyer, Enterprise, Independence Day Saucer, ect. I personally think the best examples would be the EVE Online ships, they're generally only 10-20k tris but the texture alone really sells the sense of scale; and not a one of them really uses more than two or three colors. I've linked a few here, but EVE Online has plenty of ships that you could take a look at and quite a few are supposed to be the size of a small moon...

Keep it up though ULTR4MAR, your persistence is what will help you succeed!

Old 09-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #37
ULTR4MAR
Veteran

portfolio
Nejc Skufca
Ljubljana, Slovenia

Thank you very much Jglynn, this post was really helpful! I kind of figured out that the large gold surfaces weren't working, but now I have a slightly different view towards the whole texturing process. I looked after painted miniatures, and some color schemes look great on them, but I just couldn't replicate the results. I'm pretty sure that it's possible, but if I can't do it (yet) I'll settle for a look that promotes the size over a look I had in mind, especially if it isn't working.

I also remade the displacement texture, with multiple levels of paneling so the whole thing looks more believable now. I also scrapped some gold simply because I don't think it was working. I'll see later on, but this is where I am now with textures #2 and I think it is a big improvement compared to the first attempt. I'll definitely keep what you told me in mind, and thanks for the kind words, really been working on this for some time now and I want to see it come out great in the end.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #38
ConceptStingray
Expert

portfolio
Paul
United Kingdom

Due to exposure and brightness of the ship you wouldnt be able to see that many stars. also because ship is huge it would make sence if it was made from pannels all over the frame.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #39
ULTR4MAR
Veteran

portfolio
Nejc Skufca
Ljubljana, Slovenia

ConceptStingray, very nice, thanks for the star advice! And yes, the paneling has to go all round, but the prow is a "shield which is occasionally used to ram other vessels" so it has to be different. Still working on that. Besides, if I make all the paneling uniform, it just won't look right in my opinion.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:27 PM   #40
ULTR4MAR
Veteran

portfolio
Nejc Skufca
Ljubljana, Slovenia

Cool Progress!

So, I got this far. Learned a whole lot of stuff, fixed the textures (although I might still do a couple tweaks), optimized the scene for rendering (4,5 hrs for the ship itself, then the rest is cake stuff - shells, explosions, background ships that are still to come) and started working on the surroundings. After massive fumefx sims, I think I finally got the expression that I was going for, and the final goal is to get a blazing still.

Any comments are very much welcome!

Old 01-21-2014, 04:47 AM   #41
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Wow! This has really come a long way since last year. Your model and texuring look much sharper, and it really makes your model look big.

I would reference some big ship sci fi movies to help further refine your composition and lighting.

Obviously the opening shot to Star Wars is a classic.

http://momentumbooks.com.au/wp-cont...-Tantive-IV.jpg
http://www.dvdactive.com/images/edi...ot/2007/5/8.jpg
http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/u...r-Destroyer.jpg

The new Star Trek movie had some cool shots.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18l...g/ku-xlarge.jpg
http://scifanatic.wpengine.netdna-c...13/05/17011.jpg

Try to move the camera a little closer to your model, and increase the field of view. It still looks pretty small.

-AJ

Old 01-22-2014, 09:24 PM   #42
ULTR4MAR
Veteran

portfolio
Nejc Skufca
Ljubljana, Slovenia

Awesome, thanks for the comment, I'll definitely try to play with the FoV, but I think I'll also try and fill this scene up, since I do have a bit of an idea as to what I want to fit in the image as well. Most of the references you gave me focus solely on the ship, but I'm trying to get a sense of action here as well so I wouldn't want to fill the shot with just the ship. Just a thought though, but like i said, I'll definitely try to play around with the camera.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:24 PM   #43
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread