Bond, James Bond?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
terrible, il ressemble vraiment a Yul Brynner

01 January 2013
Thumbs up

Interesting thread. looking forward how you complete the whole image.

here is my mad question..:P

What type of Brushes you used for details of pores and skin roughness in Zbrush or you use a mask of picture using spotlight.
(not a regular guy in Zbrush.)

01 January 2013
Stunning work, well deserved header.

01 January 2013
great !! is it possible you show us the texture maps you used. I'm currently learning the whole SSS thing and I'm realy curious about your maps.

will follow with interest

daniel

01 January 2013
Very amazing work Luc! This inspiring me!
Could you say me some technical process?
How sculpt the details? Do you use skin stamp, stencil? paint every skin wrinkles? paint every blackhead by hand or?
Texture are paint in Mudbox? Mari? ZBrush?
I red you use Vray for render, in Maya or in Max?
Do you use displacement map or you render the original detailed mesh?
Thanks!

Last edited by artofillusionist : 01 January 2013 at 12:54 PM.

01 January 2013
Hi all, thank's for the kind comments

first, those render test are done in Mentalray, but the project will be rendered in Vray. I will also do a Mentalray version just to compare the 2. So this color map (diffuse) is a bit diluted in the SSS2 shader of mentalray, there is more contrast and rednest to it in the Vray version, I will post later, but I need to finish the diffuse map, it's done at let's say 50% now, so much more details to come in.

I did use photoshop for texturing with some skin brush I download on the net, so not all details are done one by one, I would never finish other wise . I have many layers and in many modes to get what I want.

The sculpting of skin pores, are skin stamp based, is done mostly with the alpha you can download on Zbrush website, I did some customs but not a lot. I used Zbrush to sculpt it and extracted a displacement map and a bump map to use in max.

For the hairs, since he's having light hairs, I will not use the Vray hair shader, I did a custom one wich look more realistic I found, it look quite real in fact , so I don't think the hairs will be a deal breaker for the realism of the image... maybe if I miss the modeling of the hairs thought .. I will do eyebrows this weekend, it gonna help a lot on the likeness

At the end, some firends of mine want to rig him and do some facial test animation with it Can't wait to see him move. I will have to do some displacement map blend shape for the wrinkles moving etc though.

And here just a comparaison between the next MILA SSS shader in mr (that should ship with max2014) and a Vray one, I will definitively change the diffuse color, too orange for now, as I said, it's only 50% done so it will be much better once finished

Website here: http://www.lucbegin.com/

01 January 2013
Impressive work!

01 January 2013
Hey man,

Congrats on the front page!

Thanks for continuing to share your progress on this. I cant wait to see it all finished up.

-AJ

01 January 2013
hello Luc,
Fantastic work as usual. It looks amazing already. Will you share your shader details and lighting setup?

Thanks.

01 January 2013
Brvo Luc,

C'est amazing.

The textures/shaders bring him to life, if i was the actor i would be touch by seeing that.

Details are incredible.

| Coreldraw X6 | Cinema 4D R15 Prime | Lightwave 3D 11.6 | Moi 3D |

Google +

01 January 2013
Very impressive. I think you nailed it and just need to finish it up.

01 January 2013
First off Luc, terrific work as always. I'm just curious about your use of the diffuse(epidermal) map. I know you usually use vray and have, in the past, not had much good to say of MR. I've found that a highly contrasted and saturated epidermal map can work better as a lot of the detail can get lost in the lighting. Do you find you've had to alter the diffuse map much if you use the same map in vray?

Also, the last linked image with the new MR sss material is broken....

Look forward to more cheers.

01 January 2013
Thank's all

musashidan: The new MILA sss shader, is easy to work with. You just plug your diffuse map (the same as I used in Vray ) into the front scatter layer and I got 100% of the details of the diffuse. The first render in the first page are done with the current SSS2 in 3dsmax 2013.

Website here: http://www.lucbegin.com/

01 January 2013
This is stunning, congrats.

01 January 2013
Very good work, this is an impressive double Lovely skin detail and nice balancing on the pores and other little things!

Cobra 6
LinkedIn

Thread Closed share thread