Old City Alley environment

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
Old City Alley environment

Hi all, I want to start a new environment project. These progress are still early but i think it will be great to post it anyway and help me keep motivated.

I choose an Old City alley which is the site for a tourist object in my city. I want to depict a scene in sunset light setting as real as i can and it will be an after rain scene, so the street will have some water reflections later. The challenge for me will be the right side building because a lot of damages, trees, roots and imperfections on the building itself. I used 3dsmax for this scene.

Any feedback would be very appreciated because i really need suggestions and feedback on this project.

Here are the references that i used:

and here are some progress of mine, some texturing of the building is still temporary..it just to give an early idea for the building's texture later.

will post another update later.

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Hey man,

Are you recreating the ally exactly, or just using it as reference?

Can't wait to see your next update!

-AJ

Old 01 January 2013   #3
Hey AJ1, Thanks for your reply. I want to create this scene as close as possible with the references. but the lighting will be a dramatic sunset setting. i want to achieve a memorable lighting setting in a calm sunset (after rain) golden time....hope can achieve like what i have in my mind

my next attempt is to start modelling the right building, will surely post another update once i have one.

Old 01 January 2013   #4
small update...start to build the right building. Anyway the texture is still rough, just to get the idea on what happened with the wall

Old 01 January 2013   #5
another update :

Last edited by Androgs : 01 January 2013 at 04:00 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #6
closer look for the right building :

Old 01 January 2013   #7
cool. looking forward to the next passes. first thing i notice that is off is some of the concrete pieces have too wide of a bevel. subtley tighten them up and the break them/rough them up.

Old 01 January 2013   #8
EdgeIcon : Thanks for pointing about the bevel . i reduce the bevel of the building now. hope it looks better now. i plan to do the rough & destruction work for most of the building parts after texturing.

Here i add some details like cables and street lamps. also starting to build the building for background area.

Old 02 February 2013   #9
another update.

Start to do a test mood for the lighting and add a tree from onyx tree.

Old 02 February 2013   #10
early test for vray render & fog effect

Old 02 February 2013   #11
another update : start texturing more details for the right building.

Old 02 February 2013   #12
to be honest, when i looked at my last wip...i'm not satisfied with the look. i felt like something is missing...whether the composition or the overall look but i don't know what it is. Any advice or suggestion to make the image looks more interesting?

Old 02 February 2013   #13
Absolutley Beautiful! Just one question where did you get the exposed brick texture? Are they decals or on the UV? and could you explain the process you used to add them as I am looking to achieve a similar effect on my building .

Thank you

Old 02 February 2013   #14
Hey DesignerLuke, thanks for your comment.

For the wall i use subidivide modifier in 3dsmax, you can find it in modifier list.
in my image, i created a box and then scale copy the box (just a bit bigger than the first box) so that i will have two boxes, one box inside and the bigger box outside that cover my first box inside.

Once i've done it, i gave the subdivide modifier for the outer box and turn down the size of the subdivide to around 2-3 (the idea is the bigger the number, the larger the subdivision also. The smaller the number, the smaller the subdivision also).

after that, i convert the outer box to editable polygon and i can start to erase some polys to create the peeled effect for the wall. you can give the inner box a brick texture so that it will show the effect that you desired . hope that can help you to create yours.

Old 02 February 2013   #15
try to change the light direction and the composition a bit, play with the color in photoshop to get the overall mood feels right.

i enlarge the left building a bit because i found the scale is off compared with the right building . still thinking on how to make the scene looks better. any idea or suggestion? any advice for the composition work?

Thread Closed share thread