Polaroid29
Veteran

portfolio
Robert Borashan
Character Artist
Los Angeles, USA

Game art/Anatomy practice thread

Progress update:

Hey hey guys. I've recently decided that I want to try my hand at working in the games industry, so I'm opening this thread up to get my anatomy up to snuff, while also learning more about game restrictions and attractive characters. Any comments or critiques along the way would be very appreciated

I decided to pick an existing game character, and take it from start to finish for the first time as a way to create a workflow for myself. Anyway, I picked Draven from League of Legends.

Here is Eoin's concept I'm working from (not using it as an image plane, just for reference):

And this is the initial 4 or so hour sculpt from a dynamesh sphere:

Last edited by Polaroid29 : 02-24-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
Polaroid29
Veteran

portfolio
Robert Borashan
Character Artist
Los Angeles, USA

Started working on the face. I decided to use a separate mesh so I could get some more resolution independent of the rest of the body. It's looking pretty unremarkable at this point, which is something I'm not sure how to shake. There's also something about the torso/ribcage area that is bugging me. Any crits would be great!

Gonna start on some hair and then accessories next.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:39 AM   #3
Polaroid29
Veteran

portfolio
Robert Borashan
Character Artist
Los Angeles, USA

Did some more work on accessories. Crown, the jewel, and a rough start to the hair. I have no idea what to do with the hair! I'll probably leave it like this as a placeholder for now, but I don't think it looks great. Thanks for looking, all!

Old 01-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
square-zero-one
Yellow Magic Orchestra

portfolio
Johnny ( Joao ) Grilo
Senior Cg Artist
Visual Playground
Melbourne, Australia

Keep those image coming! Looks promising!

Old 01-08-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
Polaroid29
Veteran

portfolio
Robert Borashan
Character Artist
Los Angeles, USA

Thanks square

Small update, doing my interpretation of the ponytail he has in the original concept. Any hair tips? It's tough making it fit the character!

Old 01-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #6
square-zero-one
Yellow Magic Orchestra

portfolio
Johnny ( Joao ) Grilo
Senior Cg Artist
Visual Playground
Melbourne, Australia

Detailing the hair will integrated more into the character the overall shape its correct to me!
you have already getting good results on the ponytail. Just needs more

Old 01-09-2013, 01:29 AM   #7
skull5005
Veteran
portfolio
Josh Robey
Bradenton, USA

I don't know if it's meant to be stylized, but the arms on your latest character look too big for the body. Nice modeling also!

Old 01-10-2013, 05:35 AM   #8
Polaroid29
Veteran

portfolio
Robert Borashan
Character Artist
Los Angeles, USA

@square-zero-one thank you! i'll keep working on it

@skill5005 thanks for the comment! he is supposed to be heavily stylized. the concept in the first post has arms wayyyy bigger than his body haha I actually toned it down a little

Little bit of an update here. I started on the pants, and noticed that something didn't seem right. So on the right shot, I lengthened the pants to make him taller. I think it looks much better that way. Any crits would be appreciated . Gonna try to tackle the rest of the clothes and armor next. I'm new to trying hard surface stuff in Zbrush, so we'll see how it goes!

Old 01-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Figures are the most fun!

Nice stuff,
If it were mine I would:
Balance the side and front view because the front looks broader than the side.
Get the leg muscles working.
Check out some reference for the knees as they look a bit mooshy.
Balance the leg volumes.
Integrate the connection between the deltoid and pectoral as they look a wee bit stuck on like a doll.
Do the toes because its good practice and they are hard to do.
Try match the concept proportions more closely as they are looking a bit more integrated even for a characterization.

Keep it comin!
Cheers

Old 01-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #10
Polaroid29
Veteran

portfolio
Robert Borashan
Character Artist
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga
Figures are the most fun!

Nice stuff,
If it were mine I would:
Balance the side and front view because the front looks broader than the side.
Get the leg muscles working.
Check out some reference for the knees as they look a bit mooshy.
Balance the leg volumes.
Integrate the connection between the deltoid and pectoral as they look a wee bit stuck on like a doll.
Do the toes because its good practice and they are hard to do.
Try match the concept proportions more closely as they are looking a bit more integrated even for a characterization.

Keep it comin!
Cheers

Thanks for the crit Kanga I agree with pretty much all of it, and I'm gonna try to get to all of it before the next update. A question though, what do you mean by the last part "try to match the concept proportions more closely as they are looking a bit more integrated even for a characterization" ?

Small update here, and more often than not where things start to take a turn for the worst! Just starting to do some of the hard surface stuff, which is a huge weakness of mine. After trying to put this chest plate on him, it made me think that his proportions are totally off and look nothing like the concept/bad. Let me know what you guys think gonna start on finishing the gadgets and straps for the chest plate and see where I'm at.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #11
Polaroid29
Veteran

portfolio
Robert Borashan
Character Artist
Los Angeles, USA

Thanks again Kanga, I tried to take some of your crits along with some of my own and put them into place. I wasn't really satisfied with the character so far, and decided to try to find the problem. I changed the proportions quite a bit for the upper body; pretty much scaled the whole torso up. How's the topology looking for things? I haven't retopo'd anything yet, gonna wait until I learn more about it and then block everything else out. Any crits are appreciated.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #12
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Yeah the proportions look better. Legs might be a wee bit on the thin side still.

At this stage dont get too bogged down on making one figure perfectly. I know you want to see this one through to the end but in the meantime there is a lot to be learned from practicing form by sculpting and observing.

If it takes the same time to complete one figure that it will take to make 100 study figures you will learn more from the second method.

Just sayin.
Cheers

Old 01-15-2013, 01:30 AM   #13
Polaroid29
Veteran

portfolio
Robert Borashan
Character Artist
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga
Yeah the proportions look better. Legs might be a wee bit on the thin side still.

At this stage dont get too bogged down on making one figure perfectly. I know you want to see this one through to the end but in the meantime there is a lot to be learned from practicing form by sculpting and observing.

If it takes the same time to complete one figure that it will take to make 100 study figures you will learn more from the second method.

Just sayin.
Cheers

Hey Kanga, thanks for taking the time and stopping by again . You are absolutely correct, and I should be doing a bunch of different studies. As you said, I do want to take this one through to the end since it's my first shot. Not because I'm invested or attached to it, but moreso because there are a lot of parts in the pipeline that I don't know how to do (normal mapping, retopo, meeting a tri count for games, hand painted textures) that I want to establish a base level of workflow for. After that though, I'm going to get right back into lunch crunches and do a bunch of different studies

In the meantime, here is where I'm at with blocking out some more stuff. I made the arms the slightest bit bigger and added some more accessories. Let me know what you think!

Old 01-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
Polaroid29
Veteran

portfolio
Robert Borashan
Character Artist
Los Angeles, USA

Nearly finished with the hi-poly. Just need to fix his ponytail, and push the fur under the straps. Been kinda putting it off, since I have no idea what to do after the hi-poly is done since I've never tried doing a low poly, or normals, or the rest of the process of creating a game character. Anyway, thanks for looking! As always, crits would be much appreciated.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #15
Polaroid29
Veteran

portfolio
Robert Borashan
Character Artist
Los Angeles, USA

Taking a break from Draven. Doing a quick little 30 minute sculpt since I'm terrible at sculpting mouths. Gonna do a few more of those and then maybe some eyelids and noses

Thread Closed share thread