Darth Vader

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

01 January 2014
Happy New Year and may the Force be with you!

Update: this is how the character looks so far, the blur ref has the secondary cape( the cape under the chest armour) more towards the sides revealing more the chest and there is more tension in the cloth between the chest armour and the belt so i will need to tweak that , also finished uv mapping all the objects.Proportion wise i matched it up with the ref and it seems pretty close.

Turntable http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y8nW7beDAA
Images with and without perspective.

01 January 2014
Started the rendering process and currently i have only added a couple of color textures and some displacement maps still have a lot more to add.

01 January 2014
Nice render! It's bizarre without all the cloth

01 January 2014
Hey Scote, yeah first i will work on all of this stuff and then i will add the 2 capes, i may work more on the cape under the belt to get it looking better. I saw you're vampire thread i too have made mostly male characters and will definitely check it out and see how it goes. Cheers

02 February 2014
Update time!
Finished the lights on the character. added normal map to crotch piece and added the color texture to the life system computer still have a lot more to tweak and add as i don't want him to look as clean as he looks now and i want to add scratches and maybe some damage but will try to keep it subtle, what do u guys think about the lights.
[/URL]

[/URL]

02 February 2014
Very nice ,and Great work!

02 February 2014
Model and textures are looking great. Is it a illusion or does he seem short?

02 February 2014
Originally Posted by EBOLII: Model and textures are looking great. Is it a illusion or does he seem short?

I don't think so, i did everything i could to make him look as close to the real vader as possible, i used a character underneath the costume and matched him with a real photo of David Prowse , i also matched the character with the Darth Vader reference that was made by Blur Studios and after working on this guy for so long as far as modelling goes i'm gonna leave him the way he is.
Now there may be other factor that give the illusion that he looks short like the camera that i am using for rendering, the fact that he doesn't have all the cloth elements and the shin protectors.

02 February 2014
Started the lightsaber modeling and it's kinda early but this is what i have so far.

02 February 2014
Getting close to finishing the lightsaber, one question, when i'm going to rig the character the lightsaber will dangle from the belt support and i guess i will have to use ncloth as a rigid body but do i need to model the holes where the half ring gets connected to the saber or do i need to use contrains in combination or is there a better alternative?

02 February 2014
You would be better off using the nCloth constraints than relying on the solver to hold the saber on the belt.

I think a better alternative would be to create a dynamic joint chain and just parent constrain the saber to that joint. That way you can avoid using rigid bodies all together.

02 February 2014
Originally Posted by nfd77: You would be better off using the nCloth constraints than relying on the solver to hold the saber on the belt.

I think a better alternative would be to create a dynamic joint chain and just parent constrain the saber to that joint. That way you can avoid using rigid bodies all together.

Interesting, i have only seen that method on jellyfish but i will try both ncloth and dinamic joint chain and see what looks best, thanks for the advice.
Almost finished the lightsaber modeling and also added the belt support the only thing that remains is to add the support edges and check proportions with the character before moving to uv mapping.

02 February 2014
awesome texturing on that vader shirt man. love it!

02 February 2014
Originally Posted by Ginyuman: awesome texturing on that vader shirt man. love it!

Thanks but it's just a simple black shader with some reflection and a displacement map, pretty basic shaders at the moment except for the lights, i'm going to revisit all the object and finish the textures and for the shirt add a small fabric texture but will have to do some research to see how it looks close up.

03 March 2014
Finally finished uv mapping the lightsaber and doing some render tests with materials, no textures yet.

reply share thread