Lord of the posts

portfolio
Alex Coman
Freelancer
Cluj, Romania

Send a message via Yahoo to AlexCo
Einstein Tower

Hello friends,

It`s been a long time since I posted something here... being busy is a drag, but I managed to revive a project that I started a while ago.

I decided to post the progress since every little bit of criticism/encouraging helps

This is the progress that I have so far:

There is still a looooot to do, fill the fields with grass and groundplants + bushes.. texturing the entire building, adding lots of details, since this will have a lot of shots .Hopefully I will work on it more tomorrow and post the progress.

Any feedback will be appreciated!

Alex

Einstein Building

Old 12-30-2012, 05:09 AM   #2
ACantarel
Helicopter-Guy

portfolio
Andre Cantarel
CG Model Supervisor
santa Monica, USA

Ha actually the Einstein Tower is my most favorite piece of architecture. And guess what, I was at the Babelsberger Filmstudios for 11 Months doing VFX work for "Anonymous" but I never had the time to step by and see it in real life :-/

Great job on the model so far, the plaster texture looks nice as well as the distribution of the subtle weathering.
I would try to bring more irregularities into the tree colors and shape/size of them as well. Maybe fall colors would look nice?
I would also make the camera look up a few more degrees so the building is not so compressed towards to upper frame border. Your building is "heavy" so set it a bit more towards the bottom of your canvas.

Cheers
Andre

Old 01-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
AlexCo
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Alex Coman
Freelancer
Cluj, Romania

ACantarel: Thanks for the comment and critique. That`s too bad, that you didn`t find the time to visit... I did intend on making some variations for the leaves, just a bit. If you look at some references you can see that most of the foliage there is more or less the same, but I will make a bit of variation. Usually my wips(especially the early stages) are not set angles, so the last one won`t be used as a final composition, thanks for noticing, tho!

Here is a small update, I made the pavement, worked a bit on the shaders so the dirt and the pavement interlace with each other, then I painted some custom-made grass on the small cracks(not the actual tiles). This angle was just for the showing of the earth/pavement/grass combo

Hope you like it,

Alex

Einstein Building

Old 01-02-2013, 11:23 PM   #4
monkschain

Amazing job so far Alex. Your render is indistinguishable from a real enviroment! I especially like the details in the pavement...

monks

Old 01-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
AlexCo
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Alex Coman
Freelancer
Cluj, Romania

Thank you monkschain!

Here is a small update, I still have to fix the UVW map on the building.

I replaced the trees with one I modeled, I will make more variations for the next WIP. Add more dirt to the building, add bushes... lots to do, but it`s coming closer and closer to the end!

Thanks for viewing,

Alex

Einstein Building

Old 01-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
AlexCo
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Alex Coman
Freelancer
Cluj, Romania

Hey,

Progressed a bit with the building, more maps and everything... Still a lot more to do!

Thinking about adding this as one of the final angles.

Things to improve(at least on this image): the base stair texture a bit more highres... clump up a few grass blades on the ground below the stairs. Fix mapping on the door, add another door in the back(it is a wind-fang) dirty up the inner part of the "terrace".

Heh... still lots more to make

Any C&C would be great,

Alex

Einstein Building

Old 01-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
AlexCo
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Alex Coman
Freelancer
Cluj, Romania

Worked a bit on it, but still lots more to do.

Here are to angles that I`m thinking of adding as final options. Any input on these?

Thanks,

Alex

Einstein Building

Old 01-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
monkschain

Looking fab! Lots of little details which are really making this. The tower in the second pic I think looks a shade too white perhaps?, although I've not seen any ref photos to compare it.

monks

Old 06-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #9
reidh
portfolio
reidh
The EveryDAY CarTOON Presents!
San dimas, USA

Critique?

it looks finished already. Where do you get plans and/or elevations to work from? Or where do you get details? That is the most I have ever seen of that building, and Danken Gott its still standing. It would make the perfect house for a batchelor/(astro)physicist.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:55 PM   #10
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a
Birmingham, United Kingdom

It's very realistic. The lighting is quite convincing.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #11
cyrus3v
Frequenter

portfolio
Ciro Cardoso
Lighting Rendering TD
Northampton, United Kingdom

The light is really good. It looks like you are using one HDRI from Peter Guthrie's collection. What you used for the grass? I am working on another Farnsworth house and I am struggling to get a really nice lawn.

Good job

Old 06-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #12
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a
Birmingham, United Kingdom

V-Ray MultiScatter is great for lawns if you haven't tried that already.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #13
cyrus3v
Frequenter

portfolio
Ciro Cardoso
Lighting Rendering TD
Northampton, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus
V-Ray MultiScatter is great for lawns if you haven't tried that already.

Yes, I have been using Multiscatter along with different maps for distribution. That's why I am curious to know how he did it.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #14
AlexCo
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Alex Coman
Freelancer
Cluj, Romania

Wow thank you all for your feedback... but unfortunately I put this project on pause.. had a lot of work to do in the spring...

monkschain: Thank you! Yes, the shade is way to white, I need to get something a bit like light beige.

reidh: Thanks a lot! I just searched google for every tid bit of info on it.. the plans are low res, but there are some really nice photos out there

Telemachus: Thank you!

cyrus3v: Thanks, I do have a few from his collection, but now, I used vray sky and direct light for lighting this I used multiscatter, as Telemachus said, on the big parts of the lawn, but I also painted a lot of grass with the script Advanced Painter(still using the proxies)

Hope you all see this, and I do hope I`ll start working on this again soon, but I don`t know when.

Also, if anyone is interested, I subbmited a interior to the gallery, hope to see some of you there! http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...f=132&t=1119052

Thanks again for all your kindness,

Alex

Einstein Building

Old 08-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #15
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread