Mass Effect dock scene

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #31
Scale adjusted, added more geometry overall to the dock and updated lighting.

www.pixelsinthemaking.com
My Blog
My reel

Old 02 February 2013   #32
Really liking how this is coming along!

Is there any way we could get a top and side view wireframe of the scene?

Old 02 February 2013   #33
That's definitely a step in the right direction but I think you could push the scale a bit more - I liked the scale in Pyke's example.

The contrast between warm and cool colours that you have in the lighting now really adds a lot to the scene. The orange tones on the right really balance out the warm tones of the planet. Nicely done.

Old 02 February 2013   #34
So I scaled it a bit more, and did some other tweaks. Here are also some wires and other views. You can't see much from a top view.

My Blog
My reel

Old 02 February 2013   #35
Also here is another take on the animation. Less crazy movements and another idea to help show scale. New first and old animation below.

NEW

OLD

My Blog
My reel

Old 02 February 2013   #36
I'm not much of an expert on animation, but I do feel your cut to the inside of the dock area happens at a slightly odd time. Also, slow things down. When things move quickly, they give the impression of being small. This is a big ship - make it move slowly so that people feel the mass of the vehicle. The Star Wars films have a couple of great docking scenes in them. You might want to check those out as some inspiration.

By the way, those other angles you posted are shaping up well and the scale of the ship looks good now. I like the texture work you've done on the panels so far; there's some nice subtle variation and detailing there. Pyke mentioned earlier putting in details to help sell the sense of scale though, and I do think your environment would benefit a lot from that. Putting in stuff like scaffolds and greebling really helps to sell the scale, plus it also makes everything look more interesting. Remember that image I posted earlier of the Japanese Kibo module? Notice how all the panels have these cool little handles and bolts and stuff. It'd be worth considering adding that level of detailing to your scene too.

I think for all your continuing work on this WIP you deserve some time on the front page for this week's WIP of the Week. Enjoy.

Old 02 February 2013   #37
Really cool! The scale really helps, and is looking much more balanced.

I think that you need to slow the animation riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight doooooooooown....
If you watch some of the older Star Trek movies, they always have those like 5 minute sequences of beauty shots of the ship.
You should also really break up the shots into smaller ones, showing off the different angles. This also helps in being able to 'light per shot'.

I downloaded some models from the Sketchup Warehouse, and built a super low poly scene similar to yours, and did some cool camera moves. Perhaps something like this could show off your scene and its detail to its fullest?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNUk...eature=youtu.be

In retrospect, I may have been a little TOO slow, but you get the idea.

Old 02 February 2013   #38
Really loving how this project is coming along. Just wanted to add one thing I thought could be really good for your animation. I think the kind of animation Pyke suggested looks really good and when it goes by the camera it would be awesome to see a close up of the "Normandy" logo on the side of the ship as it goes by, as you can't see it in the current render.

Looking forward to more

Old 02 February 2013   #39
Yay front page!

You already know my crits for this, David. It's shaping up really well. Maybe you could add an exit from the platform on the right, it seems an awfully long walk for the pilot to leave the hangar. I think there's a break in the wall right now, maybe make that a platform/elevator.

My Blog

Old 02 February 2013   #40
Originally Posted by David-J: Also here is another take on the animation. Less crazy movements and another idea to help show scale. New first and old animation below.
NEW

The problem with this CUT (imho) is that your cutting between fairly similar shots. They are both, let's say, wide or medium shots, and the ship is in similar size/position in both shots.
When you cut like that (person.. spaceship... whatever...) it can confuse audience.

I like the movement of the second one, so I suggest you to change the first one, and either make some close-up on the ship cabin (and then move to the next shot), or start with some really wide shot, and then cut to second medium shot you already have.

I agree with above comments on the speed, you should slow it down... especially the first shot (which I hope you'll change).

Old 02 February 2013   #41
that wip of the week was a very pleasant surprise. thanks leigh.

leigh - I'm reworking the animation today but I will definitively do another modeling pass today and reference the Japanese Kibo image again.

pyke - thanks a lot. I was doing the mistake of trying to fit everything into one shot. I like the idea of having more smaller shots to showcase some details.

Ishimarushou - thanks. Now that I am breaking it up into smaller shots I will add one that shows more clearly the Normandy logo.

joecyriac - already on it. thanks

d4rk3lf - already changing that first shot. thanks for the comments.

My Blog
My reel

Old 02 February 2013   #42
I added a horizontal catwalk with some scaffolding to add more scale and elements to the scene. Also I added a door every so other panels on the main hallway but you can't see it from this shot but you will see it in the animation.

My Blog
My reel

Old 02 February 2013   #43
Here is another pass at the animation incorporating a lot of the feedback. I added new angles and changed the speed of it. Just focus on the camera angles, the timing and the ship speed. Every other animation has to be tweaked.

My Blog
My reel

Old 02 February 2013   #44
You want us to comment your editing and camera angles?

You have 5 shots

If you want to edit you final short. I would recommand to delete the first shot.

And rearrange your 4 shots left:

1th shot: should be your 4th original but flip the image (because you cross the camera hidden line.. what we call 180 rule)

2th shot: should be your 3th original

3th shot: should be your 2th original

Final Shot: should be your 5th original

Match on action: And you need the get a [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutaway_(filmmaking)] sense of cutaway scene. Try to cut your shots in between and action. Like the movement of the dock arms deploy.

You can try to match the moment when to ship go outside the shot frame and when he enter the other. Like just before he leave the shot frame (we still see the end of the ship) you cut to the other frame (the ship is already 1/3 in the shot frame.)

Last edited by Scote : 02 February 2013 at 02:05 AM.

Old 02 February 2013   #45
You don't have continuity of the ship moving.
In your first shot, spaceship is static, and in the next shot he suddenly moving.
You could throw in the mix transition, between those 2, so you can show that some time has passed between static, and moving ship.
Also, in your 4th shot, ship almost stopped moving, but in 5th shot he is moving at regular speed. You should cut out more naturally, and some of the shots doesn't need to be that long.

Try to stay closed (at your first shots), with your ship, only parts of them if you want to increase scale even more. For example, if you watched Blizzards animations, always when they show some dragon, they start with closeups (legs, wings, head), so they increase the scale of the dragon. He is so big, that he can't stay all in the screen.
One more thing that can even more increase scale of the ship (if you want): Throw in (at the beginning) some small 1-man light space fighter (let's say 10 times smaller then this ship), and show it close, and then cut out to wide shot to show difference between 2.
This is just a suggestion, your ship already looks huge.

I agree with the above comment at 180 degree rule.

I have taken freedom to re-edit your shot to what I feel is correct, I hope you don't mind.
I'll delete it, once you watch it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmWfb8Si6o0

Thread Closed share thread