Mass Effect dock scene

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #1
Mass Effect dock scene

CURRENT STATE

I love the Mass Effect series and I wanted to do something really cool based on that world. I loved every time you arrived at a new planet how you could see the Normandy docking. So that is where I got the idea from. It's going to be a short animation.

Here is my current state. I just realized now that I was working on on of the engine/wings that my scale for the ship is way off, needs to be significantly bigger.

www.pixelsinthemaking.com
My Blog
My reel

Last edited by David-J : 02 February 2013 at 08:30 PM.

Old 12 December 2012   #2
Here is more progress. Worked more on the ship. Added more catwalks and elements to add scale. Still the scale is off but working on it.

My Blog
My reel

Old 12 December 2012   #3
I like it so far, The Normandy looks cool.

Old 12 December 2012   #4
I never played any of the Mass Effect games, so I don't know how this compares to the source material, but going purely on its merits as a scifi scene, I think this is off to a good start. Is this the angle you're planning on rendering from? Personally I feel that a lower POV combined with a slightly wider angle could have a more epic feel to it. I feel scale is a very important factor in scifi imagery like this, and when you bring your camera down to human eye level and widen the FOV, it brings the viewer into the scene and enhances the sense of scale to one of far greater grandeur.

Old 01 January 2013   #5
@ Miked08 - Thanks!

@ leigh - Thanks for the comments leigh. Great suggestions I played with the FOV and lowered the camera to put it more at human level. It definitely adds more epicness to it. Now that I have a lot of the modeling almost done I decided to do a small animation but this will be the hero angle.

My Blog
My reel

Old 01 January 2013   #6
Yeah that's definitely a cooler POV! It puts the viewer into the scene more easily, and enhances the sense of scale. Looking forward to your future updates.

Old 01 January 2013   #7
I was unwrapping the whole scene and tweaking some more stuff but here is an update on the Normandy. It's pretty much done. I have it on a separate scene but I will start ligthing the final scene to see the reflections there.

My Blog
My reel

Old 01 January 2013   #8
The ship is finished. There were some issues with the displacement that I fixed from the previous images. It was causing some extra roundness on the geometry but it's not been tweaked. Here is an update with a first pass on ligthing and some textures. I will town down the fill light that I have from the planet so I get darker values.

My Blog
My reel

Old 01 January 2013   #9
Love the ship

I really like the slender look and the ship. Very sleek, good render..

Old 01 January 2013   #10
Here is another update with more things textured. I will work on that console to have FG object very detailed and help with the scale and also start playing with the animation for this scene.

My Blog
My reel

Old 01 January 2013   #11
Having not played the game, I don't know how faithful you're being in terms of the texture work, but I do think there are certain aspects of the texturing which are problematic, most notable the issue of scale. Having very large details like large scale lettering has the effect of miniaturising the scene - this is particularly true of the large stripes and numbers on the hangar, but also applies to the livery on the ship itself.

Also, be wary of having textures which are very monotone or samey. You've got panel work on the hangar structure but everything is the same colour, just with dark panel lines adding detail. Go in and subtly change the panels to differentiate them from one another - the Death Star in Star Wars is a good reference for this. From a distance, all the panels are slightly different from each other, which helps to break up the surface visually, reinforces the sense of scale and also makes things look more interesting.

Old 01 January 2013   #12
yeah. Most of the textures in the game are monochromatic metal. So I'm struggling with that.
Thanks a lot for the panel color tip, I will start playing with that.

My Blog
My reel

Old 01 January 2013   #13

it seems leigh is right. and I'm not sure if this anywhere near the dock scene your replicating but I'm sure it looks similar.
EDIT: this image is right from the game

Old 01 January 2013   #14
hey Ben,

I'm not trying to replicate that dock. I gathered some images from the game and I am using elements from a couple of docks from the game.

Here is another update. This would be pretty much all the light sources and elements. This are 2 angles I am testing for the ending of the animation. I will post some videos later to show what I'm trying to do for the whole animation.

My Blog
My reel

Old 01 January 2013   #15
Try focusing on one thing at a time. I'd say leave the lighting for now and just focus on getting those textures done. Trust me, after many years of this, I've earned that tying to do too many things simultaneously tends to end up with an unfinished project.

Just a quick note on the lights though - this structure would be getting a lot more illumination from the planet surface, as well as what appears to be a nearby star in your background. Your current lighting only appears to account for lighting installations on the structure itself. Space light is very harsh and very white. I know, because I recently finished up on a space project myself! A good place to look for references is NASA's site - they have tons of photos from the ISS which show the structures in a lot of detail. The Japanese ISS module Kibo may be of particular help, since it's also covered in metal panels.

Also, you have so many structural lines in your scene that it seems a waste not to exploit them for compositional effect. Do you know the artist Ryan Church? He does a lot of really cool, wide angle paintings that exploit converging lines to create really, really strong compositions. I think if you check out some of his work, you may get some ideas on how to strengthen your own piece. Remember that your lighting also aids composition because highlights become visual cues, so be sure to place your lights in such a way that they illuminate the focal points while reducing the background.

But for now, just focus on those textures!

Thread Closed share thread