Digital experiments and portfolio scrapbook.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #1
Digital experiments and portfolio scrapbook.

HI there,

I decided to start a digital scrap book and post my ideas and images here instead of starting new threads for each image everytime. All comments welcome.

In this image I was trying to experiment with the procedural shaders and IBL lighting. The model was provided but I repainted the maps in Zbrush.

Merry Xmas and a happy new year to all!

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Spank on the Bottom

Happy new year to everyone! uploading the first image/idea of 2013.

Went to an area in Beijing called 798 to take pictures where it is famous for art. Saw a Graffiti on the wall with a communist soldier/guard painted.

Above the guy, the Chinese words mean: If you don't listen we'll spank your bum.

Inspired me to use the character modeled by Javier Solsona (a.k.a. Goosh). i then went into Maya, textured/lit/composited the final image.

Crits welcome.

Cheers
laz

Old 01 January 2013   #3
I like that last one. Didn't know they were big into graffiti in China. I've been to Holland a few times with my Dad and they are really into graffiti there. Shops pay graffiti artists (some are very well known and in demand) to work on their shutters and walls and there is some really good art to be seen.

Old 01 January 2013   #4
Hi Dillster,

Graffiti is kind of illegal here...although its not officially...basically they get fined if caught painting in none designated areas of town, but unless they paint on temples or government buildings artists dont go to jail.

Theres a couple of nice links if you want to know more about eh graffiti scene in Beijing
http://www.cityweekend.com.cn/beiji...ffiti-in-china/

http://www.asiacalling.kbr68h.com/e...ges-in-beijing-

Cheers
Laz

Old 01 January 2013   #5
Image 3 - breakDancing

Inspired by BreakDancing, this was a pain in the ass to light. The plate comes from a ScreenSaver website.

Refreshed the textured of the old dude (modeled by Chris Baker http://www.rigging101.com/freestuff.htm ) in zbrush, then used the sss shader. I wanted to experiment with a back light whilst try to retain some detail to the character.

The robot (modeled by http://www.creativecrash.com/users/niklas-wennersten ) at the back was also Uved and textured in Zbrush.

Crits Welcome.

Old 02 February 2013   #6
Red Mystery

My Latest works, inspired by Japanese Manga...the question of Why a robot would kill it self felt interesting and something I wanted to explore.

Working with Red Lighting was really tough specially on the texturing side (painted in Zbrush), but hope the quality came out decent since I really been looking at the image too long its tough to keep an objective eye.

The Roboter was modeled by Niklas Wennersten (just a note that although the modeling was really well done, the rigging had a lot issues specially with the transfer of ownership when planting the UVs in (which dont come unfolded), if you want the UVs let me know I'll send them to you - I did the Uvs for each bit separately as there are too many parts to get sharp textures when this close to the camera.

Roboter download at http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/d...-rigs/c/roboter

Comments and crits welcome.

Cheers.

Old 02 February 2013   #7
I used two point lights attaching IES file to them.
There are no plates in the scene every item is a model.

Texturing including the bathtub, duck the gun, and robot was done in zbrush, then The maps were final touched in photoshop before inserting them.... I painted four versions of everything before settling on final looks.

I used mental ray at 3/1 iray, not final gather took two hours for beauty at 1536 pixels size.
I created the glossy reflections on the wall in post to save rendering time.
For bump, I usually use very low setting at 0.05 to 0.015, no need for too much bump.

All the metal materials used were mental ray as I find it gives more realistic results, and render times re similar...when rendering with render farm in production it doesn't make much difference, so that's why I like to save time using shaders that give me the best result as fast as possible instead of wasting I've experimenting too much.

Robot shader is lambert, as I wanted a Matt finish.

Old 02 February 2013   #8
Looking for modelers and riggers for personal projects

Am looking for modelers and fellow riggers to collaborate on personal projects, if u got a model and need some help to do texturing or lighting let me know

Happy Chinese new year!

Old 06 June 2013   #9
Alien

been learning chinese full time for a few months but decided to take a day off and do this for fun.

cheers
laz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AlienBeauty2b.jpg (50.0 KB, 7 views)

Old 06 June 2013   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread